Where do Cruise Ships go when they are retired?

Pam-

The former Crown Princess (sister ship to Regal Princess) is currently sailing as the Aida Blu and looks absolutely hideous with big lips painted on her bow and eyes on either side. My first cruise was on her (as the Crown Princess) and I saw her two years ago in St. Petersburg. I recognized her right away, even with the horrible lips!

Darn that brings back memories seeing the Big Red Boat over there. Hubby and I sailed her in 1987. I think the oldest ship we actually ever sailed was the Azure Seas that was the Oceanbreeze last I checked. She was built in the mid 50's as the Southern Cross.

6h70h3m.jpg

These 2 ships were actually built for Shaw Savill Line as Northern Star and Southern Cross.

Complete this thought

Old cruise ships don't die they just ..............

Sail forever in the hearts & thoughts of all the passengers & crew

The cruise ship cementary Alang photo's are so sad, all cruise ships deserve a more dignified ending (IMO)

The former Island Princess, sister ship to the former Pacific Princess, [they were the original Love Boats], is now the MV Discovery, flagship of Discovery World Cruises. She of course has been refurbished several times. I look forward to sailing her in January in Antarctica!

See the Discovery World Cruises website for a ship and trip review by Peter Knego of Maritime Matters.

Colo Cruiser, And the Big Red BoatII was quite a beautiful shipbrb1sml.jpg

So sad....

Lets hope Oceanic doesn't end up this way! She is much to beautiful to not be preserved when taken out of service. Hopefully Pullmantur and RCCL keep her cruising!

BTW..theres some great pictures on this thread.

Call me Polly Anna, but I would rather think that than think about those sad :( pictures :D

i love it thats what i think now. you had me on the floor rolling. that was GREAT:D:p

Originally Posted by Nymue

Cruise Ship Heaven - A Great Big Bath Tub in the Sky, with a rubber ducky for each one

From an Aussie Baby Boomer (1948) to an American one..good point FUZZY. Give those old ships a paintup and brushup and turn them into floating nursing homes, what a way to go. It's a wonder no one has thought of that idea before.! A maritime old folks home, way to go. There would be no trouble on board, dinner at 5pm and all in their cabins by 7pm, lights out.!!

Best wishes from OZ:cool:

Pam-

The former Crown Princess (sister ship to Regal Princess) is currently sailing as the Aida Blu and looks absolutely hideous with big lips painted on her bow and eyes on either side. My first cruise was on her (as the Crown Princess) and I saw her two years ago in St. Petersburg. I recognized her right away, even with the horrible lips!

The former Crown Princess will soon be retransferred to UK's Ocean Village from AIDA(if it hasn't already). Ocean Village has almost the same cruise experience as AIDA.

Call me Polly Anna, but I would rather think that than think about those sad :( pictures :D

Originally Posted by Nymue

Cruise Ship Heaven - A Great Big Bath Tub in the Sky, with a rubber ducky for each one

now that i look at these pictures i realize that, that is sad.

Heres a few Pictures of the ship "The Big Red One II" that I saw in Freeport Bahamas, getting ready for her trip to the ship yards of death.

2573726950034438725kuToKJ_th.jpg2880418930034438725SGRfvQ_th.jpg2453039920034438725zUofKt_th.jpg

(Click on the pictures to see the set)

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/PremierJPEGs/BigRedBoatII-01.jpg

Nice picture from a ship next to her

I went on board to check her out, but was stopped and shown where the exit was......

Alas, old cruise ships go to the breakers to die.

They do not recycle easily to other uses due to their on-going maintenance costs.

One thing I would like to see is a photo archive of various cruise ships during their various periods established on the net

Can you tell me where to find the picture of the France? I would like to send it to some friends. She took me and 36 other Notre Dame students to Europe in 1974 for our sophomore year abroad. I will always remember partying in the crew quarters and learning how to sneak into the first class lounges...........what a lady she was! :( :(

Archived