An Irish Curse from the Glory 04/28/07

bmc303

So after over a year of planning, saving and dreaming, we’re finally onboard the Glory for our first cruise / belated honeymoon / first real vacation in our 17 years together. We decided to go all out and booked a suite as high as we could go and as far forward as we could get. We could look down into the bridge from our balcony. Hopefully they didn’t see us when that sudden gust of wind blew our robes open ( :eek: oops). We would start our days having coffee on the balcony watching schools of flying fish skimming across the water and disappearing into the waves. We dressed to the 9’s on the formal nights and were truly touched when the dining room staff sang “Hoppy Hunningmoon to You”. Our tablemates were fantastic. We all hit it off the very first night. I still think that our table laughed more than any other table in the entire room. In St. Thomas we tried our hand at “Snuba”. It was the first time I had ever been in the ocean. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life! In St. Maarten we had a private all day tour with the one and only Joyce Prince. She asked what we wanted to see, we said “everything” and that’s exactly what she did! We spend the entire day exploring both sides of the island taking in beautiful views and meeting the most friendly people. She even took us to the infamous “nude beach”. We joked that we were going to need therapy after that. :D She was so patient with us when we just had to go into every shop on the main street. A note for those of you that smoke: A carton of cigarettes on St. Thomas is $17.00 and $9.00 on St. Maarten. Throughout the entire trip we took pictures of everything and everyone. Almost 2 gig of smiles and laughter, breathtaking views and romantic sunsets and moments to cherish to rest of our lives.

So this message goes out to the son-of-a-bitch that stole our camera the last day of the cruise:

May the days of your life be many and may you never know a moment’s peace during any of them.

May the roads of your journey always be uphill and may the wind never be at your back.

May everyone you meet show you the same consideration that you have shown us.

The camera can be replaced but the record of these precious moments are gone forever.

What a well-written post! I am so sorry your wonderful, romantic, joyous experience was ruined at the last minute. No words can replace the pictures you lost - but your good memories will last- keep those pictures in your mind - they will be with you forever. Don't let that SOB (and I hope he gets blown overboard one day) get the best of you. Hope you can go on another "honeymoon" soon -another 17 years is a long time to wait!

My Dear BF forgot our camera in December when we were on the Glory, and our sweet, sweet, SWEET tablemates (who our now our BFF!) sent us a cd with all of their pictures of the four of us, as well as all scenery shots! It was almost (I know, not quite!) like we had taken our own pictures. Just an idea...:D

bmc303,

Ouch! Given that I took a couple of gig of pics on our Glory cruise last month, I can only imagine what you're going through not getting to see all of yours.

Hopefully you will find your images in some of your fellow cruisers pics and perhaps even the poor soul who found himself in possession of your camera will have a change of heart or seek a change of luck and return your memories to you. :)

How awful...I cherish my cruise albums and could not imagine going on a trip and not having the pictures to show friends. I know a lot of people never take pics but we took over 900 on our last cruise. If you joined a roll call maybe these people will send you a cd of their pics. Won't be the same but it may have some of the same places that you saw. Where was your camera when it was taken?

This could be a blessing in disguise: you need to take the trip again!

I am truly sorry this happened to you. Maybe if you get in touch with some of your new friends from the cruise, they have a couple of pics of ya'll.

Shay

Drive by post :D I just had to read a thread titled Irish Curse.

On my cruises I always take my laptop and download all pictures to it everyday. I do this for a couple reasons, backup and to remember where I took the pictures. :eek: I always create a folder with the date and port name and download into it.

For my New Zealand cruise, I just brought a 12Gig card for $200. :rolleyes: When it is attached to my laptop, it looks like a hard drive. So for this cruise, I will be copying all the pictures from my laptop from the cruise to the flash drive. Now I will have two copies of every picture just in case.

It sounds like you had great times though. I also feel bad for your loss on this special cruise, honeymoon and 1st.

I wish I was at your table with all the laughs. Our table was about the funnest on the Victory. We were parked by you on the Victory last week and I was on the nude beach too.

It is hard to understand but try and think of this event happenend for a certain reason, maybe meaning you need to go on another cruise soon:D .

I know how you feel. On our Victory cruise, we took a ton of pictures and on the 2nd to the last day my DH accidently deleted them from our camera!:eek: I cried at first, then got mad, and then realized that it was an accident. I have my memories and lucky for us we had met up with some fellow CCers who took the same excursion in St. Thomas. They were kind enough to send us copies of their pictures. I didn't get back all our pictures, but got some and I was thankful.

To the jerk who took your camera.......well, I'm not allowed to say what I think here. I think you get the picture. :mad:

That nasty SOB! You know, all of the advice that we could try to offer will only be helpful in retrospect (good idea on taking a pic of your mailing address, in case a thief has some scruples at all; also, I like the idea of taking another cruise to create more memories! And yes, backing up your pics is very important when on vacation; you can even go on the ship and pay for them to put all the pics on a CD for you as a backup).

But none of this makes you feel better now! I can only tell you that I will curse this butthead along with you; we should all unite together with the Irish Curse!

Again, I really am sorry..:(

Sorry to hear this - but makes us all think. If you camera was lost / would they know who to return it to?

As stated have your name and contact info on it somewhere. Or take a photo of your info at the first photo. Great Ideal!

FYI for people that do not backup their pictures. Before a cruise print or hand letter a piece of paper with your name and address on it. Then take a picture of this as the first picture on the flash drive. ;)

What a good idea!! I have a brand new camera and plan to follow your advice :D

I know just how you feel when it comes to a stolen camera....we had our camera stolen on our first cruise this year. My poor husband felt responsible for the loss....was up all night thinking about it and walking around the ship looking for it. We lost it in the theatre on the Mariner of the Seas (RCCL) ship in February. We had wonderful pics of children in a Jamaican school hugging our 10 year daughter....

I hope the sad soul who stole your camera and the sad soul who stole our camera meet up some day...if you get my drift!!!

Glad the rest of your trip was wonderful...that's the important thing!!!

I am so sorry for your loss. One photo nut to another I always take hundreds of shots myself and scapbook all my pics so I feel your pain. The somewhat good news Karma is a "witch" and it will come back to bite the SOB 10 fold!!! And kudos on well written post!! At least you have the memories!!! :(

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I'm definitely doing the "first picture address" thing. But, I am thinking now that I will bring my laptop to transfer pics to. I just hope that doesn't get stolen, either... where/when was it stolen?

What a huge bummer!! I always put a Carnival luggage tag on my camera with my cabin number on it...My friend lost her very expensive camera on one of our cruises but she had a luggage tag with her cabin number on it and someone actually returned it to her. Taking a picture of your address and phone number is also a great idea..

Yes, this is a bummer, but you had an amazing trip with memories to last a lifetime.

Crap happens, but the biggest shame would be if you let this incident take away from what was a great holiday.

Gives you a very legitimate reason to start saving again and go and re experience what you did. :)

People have learned things from your post, I will be going to put my contact info inside my camera bag just incase I lose it. Thank you for this!

We had thought about bringing the laptop with us up until the day before we flew out. We then came to the conclusion that we already had too many bags to carry (yes we over packed :rolleyes: ), and decided to leave it at home. I believe that we'll rethink this for our next cruise. Yes, after just one cruise, we're hooked! We now have the opportunity to revisit the same ports in October on the Caribbean Princess. So we'll try to replace as many of the pictures as we can. The ones we will miss the most are of all the wonderful people that we met onboard. We were the only ones at our table that remembered to bring our camera with us every night. So, our tablemates were hoping to get copies from us.

We lost the camera on the pool deck the last full day onboard. We had it under our deck chair (along with shirts, shoes, lotion, etc.), and our towels on top of the chair to keep everything out of the direct sunlight. We left to enjoy a few minutes in the pool and to grab something to drink and returned to enjoy the sun :cool: (two days before we left for our cruise, we had five inches of snow). We didn't discover it was missing until we decided it was time to go back to the room to shower and dress for dinner. The first thing we did was to file a report at the Purser's desk, hoping that it would be returned to us before we disembarked. We did attach that little label the travel insurance company gave us with a phone number to call if someone found it. At this point, I don't think that this will happen.

We refuse to let this one incident make us paranoid and jade our opinion of cruising and the people onboard. 99.999% of people are honest and helpful (these boards prove that), and that is what makes cruising so relaxing and enjoyable.

It sounds like you had great times though. I also feel bad for your loss on this special cruise, honeymoon and 1st.

I wish I was at your table with all the laughs. Our table was about the funnest on the Victory. We were parked by you on the Victory last week and I was on the nude beach too.

It is hard to understand but try and think of this event happenend for a certain reason, maybe meaning you need to go on another cruise soon:D .

We couldn't believe how many boobs and buns wished us goodbye as we pulled away from the dock. :eek:

The only thing I would further suggest is to not use your home address and phone number on the picture you take. Use a business address if possible. If it's truly a theif...you've just given them more information than you probably would want them to have.

So after over a year of planning, saving and dreaming, we’re finally onboard the Glory for our first cruise / belated honeymoon / first real vacation in our 17 years together. We decided to go all out and booked a suite as high as we could go and as far forward as we could get. We could look down into the bridge from our balcony. Hopefully they didn’t see us when that sudden gust of wind blew our robes open ( :eek: oops). We would start our days having coffee on the balcony watching schools of flying fish skimming across the water and disappearing into the waves. We dressed to the 9’s on the formal nights and were truly touched when the dining room staff sang “Hoppy Hunningmoon to You”. Our tablemates were fantastic. We all hit it off the very first night. I still think that our table laughed more than any other table in the entire room. In St. Thomas we tried our hand at “Snuba”. It was the first time I had ever been in the ocean. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life! In St. Maarten we had a private all day tour with the one and only Joyce Prince. She asked what we wanted to see, we said “everything” and that’s exactly what she did! We spend the entire day exploring both sides of the island taking in beautiful views and meeting the most friendly people. She even took us to the infamous “nude beach”. We joked that we were going to need therapy after that. :D She was so patient with us when we just had to go into every shop on the main street. A note for those of you that smoke: A carton of cigarettes on St. Thomas is $17.00 and $9.00 on St. Maarten. Throughout the entire trip we took pictures of everything and everyone. Almost 2 gig of smiles and laughter, breathtaking views and romantic sunsets and moments to cherish to rest of our lives.

So this message goes out to the son-of-a-bitch that stole our camera the last day of the cruise:

May the days of your life be many and may you never know a moment’s peace during any of them.

May the roads of your journey always be uphill and may the wind never be at your back.

May everyone you meet show you the same consideration that you have shown us.

The camera can be replaced but the record of these precious moments are gone forever.

BMC303 I'm sorry for your loss.. and being Irish..I know there are a couple of other Irish Blessings my grandmother would have bestowed on the SOB.. :mad: I was on the same cruise as you. I am not a fantastic photographer I took 853 pics and some were not usable, duplicate or close to same pics etc.. did alot of the cloudy sunrises , going into port pics etc... if you want I can copy the pics from the sightseeing we did in St. thomas with Bobby flamon and also the tour we did with Bernard of SMX tours in St. Martin both marigot and phillipsburg. The sites would be somewhat the same and of course the weather was the same. I can put them on a cd for you and mail them to you... if you want contact me at golflover450@yahoo.com if you'd like pics.. again not the greatest photographer but thought it might help....

Golf

Archived