QE2 ladies in trousers

Nitty

[quote name='pb82']If Wikipedia is correct that the folks at Belvoir Castle pronounce it [B]Beaver[/B], then I would be reluctant to accept their opinion on the propriety of anything.

Paul[/quote]

There has to be an exception to prove every rule, and this appears to be it.

Wikipedia is correct on this occasion. Hang out the bunting!

Matthew

[quote name='Wadadli1']I agree about the conversation aspect. Much of the time it's "Look what I got!", because they are pleased with their new dress and want to share with others. Then there are those that are really of the "What can I get away with" genre, and they get angry when your answer isn't the one they wanted.

And I'm beginning to wonder why people do the "Is this dress okay" thing. Read the dress code for your particular line and follow it. It says wear a tie, wear a tie.

Well, this is really a whole another topic, so I'll stop. And I have to admit that men asking tuxedo questions being the same as the dress questions on the other board is a new idea to me! My observations have let me to believe the men have a much easier time of it.[/quote]

you really don't get it at all do you.
it's not the 'look what i've got or 'is this dress okay' aspect. it's the fact that we're all going on holiday and are very excited about it and want to talk. it's just another subject to bring up that fact. i sat here the other day wanting to start a thread but not knowing what subject to use.
if anything it usually turns into a competition about who knows more. IT'S A CHAT ROOM.
smoothdancer, you are spot on.
glenn.

[quote name='Kindlychap']

But to deny that there are established conventions is risky. If the argument is (and it is one that Karie advances) that people will be worried about feeling out of place, then "following the established rules" will mean that they will not. If a man asks me what to wear on a formal night, I will explain what a Gentleman wears to such a night. He will be perfectly in place. Okay, he might not be on the cutting edge of fashion (which in my view is a place to be avoided) but he will be dressed for the occasion. He will need to have no worries about being out of place.

I may have a patrician style of writing, but I think I offer advice that will help someone fit in. And for those worrying about self tie bow ties, perhaps you started too late. I already regularly wore one (to play in concerts) in my teens..... I've never worn ready made.

Matthew

the traditional attire you wear on formal night was once the cutting edge of fashion. right back to the beginning of the last century the gentry would be seen with their louis vuitton luggage trunks in the backs of their ghosts and phantoms. i'll bet the houses of chanel and gucci have been on display more than a few times on the teak decks. it has now come around full circle, louis vuitton now do a four buttoned tuxedo as does paul smith but this would be deemed unacceptable on these boards because it is 'not traditional' while the actual names themselves are.
please everyone don't come back at me with the 'slave to fashion' and the 'designer name' thing, i'm just making a point.
i do realise these brands are only putting their own personal slant on the traditional attire but traditional attire it still is.

incidentally, i like your style of writing, it's amusing and shouldn't be taken as seriously as some people do. you have all the intellect and sarcasm of a true brit and should be commended.
when you say i've left the self tying bow tie too late are you advising me not to bother?:rolleyes:.
out of interest, what concerts and which instrument did you play?
regards, glenn.
who should still be in bed but matthew jnr thinks otherwise.

Malcolm and Matthew please be seated with a strong drink (or a good friend) before reading this post....you have been warned!

Was in two minds whether to post this, at first I thought it was funny but its actually quite distasteful...Thank goodness for posters like Matthew and Malcolm et al, imagine getting advice from the posters of this quote...or worse going on this ship!!

[quote] ""The formal night had us in stitches! Some people went so way over the top - long beaded evening dresses with jewels, lots of make-up and posh hairdos, while their men had tuxedos with starched shirts and dicky bows! There was even one man in full Scottish kilt and whatever. To be honest they looked so out of place as the Emerald (although lovely) is quite a casual ship and not one of the big posh, stuffy ones. Even the staff have a laugh at them behind their backs. One of them said to us that it shows them as people who don't get out often! The majority of women just wore normal dresses, or skirts/trousers with nice tops. A lot of men wore suits and ties, although quite a few just wore shirts and ties without a jacket and this was perfectly acceptable too. As a guide, just think about what you'd wear to a nice restaurant when at home."[/quote]Must mean...MacDonalds?

(This quote from a holiday review site)

[quote name='Nitty'][quote name='Kindlychap']

Matthew

the traditional attire you wear on formal night was once the cutting edge of fashion. right back to the beginning of the last century the gentry would be seen with their louis vuitton luggage trunks in the backs of their ghosts and phantoms. i'll bet the houses of chanel and gucci have been on display more than a few times on the teak decks. it has now come around full circle, louis vuitton now do a four buttoned tuxedo as does paul smith but this would be deemed unacceptable on these boards because it is 'not traditional' while the actual names themselves are.
please everyone don't come back at me with the 'slave to fashion' and the 'designer name' thing, i'm just making a point.
i do realise these brands are only putting their own personal slant on the traditional attire but traditional attire it still is.

incidentally, i like your style of writing, it's amusing and shouldn't be taken as seriously as some people do. you have all the intellect and sarcasm of a true brit and should be commended.
when you say i've left the self tying bow tie too late are you advising me not to bother?:rolleyes:.
out of interest, what concerts and which instrument did you play?
regards, glenn.
who should still be in bed but matthew jnr thinks otherwise.[/quote]

I played the Eb clarinet in the Bedfordshire Youth Concert Band.

I have always assumed, save at the Danielli, that LV luggage is fake.

And the bow tie question - I really can't see what the difficulty is. Once you have the knack, it is really very easy. Unless you're in a rush, of course. Like dogs and Eb clarinets, bow ties can smell fear............

Matthew

[quote name='Beachmad']Was in two minds whether to post this, at first I thought it was funny but its actually quite distasteful...Thank goodness for posters like Matthew and Malcolm et al, imagine getting advice from the posters of this quote...or worse going on this ship![/quote]

Carnival Cruise Line, perchance?

Matthew

sorry forgot,
louis is french. you'll only find gianni at the danieli.
lv stuff normally is fake. it is so desired the market is there. nitty has a couple of pairs of boots (had to work hard that week!) but unlike the bags they are understated.
glenn.

[quote name='Kindlychap']Carnival Cruise Line, perchance?

Matthew[/quote]

Ahhh sweet, Matthew dosnt even know about 'Thomson' ships :rolleyes:

The Emerald is a cruise ship operated by Thomson, you know, the holiday tour operators, they have shops in most town's shopping areas and they do airplane trips as well at a very low cost probably for the poor so they can go on holiday, I think once every 2 years or something. :D

[quote name='Kindlychap']At what age should one change from wing to traditional?

Just wondering if I'm acting my age[/quote]

I wear a wing collar. Paul wears a traditional one (we both wear pre-tied bow ties:eek: ). I would therefore guess that the age to change is somewhere between 40 and 55!:)

[quote name='Nitty']i'll practise the tie up jobby.[/quote]

Now that could be extremely messy:eek: , not to mention the highly increased risk of Norovirus. I sincerely hope that you will wash your hands thoroughly before mixing in company, and please be ready for some very strange looks:D .

David
who suspects that you are not aware of the term "jobby" in Scottish vernacular.

[quote name='pnhmrk']I wear a wing collar. Paul wears a traditional one (we both wear pre-tied bow ties:eek: ). I would therefore guess that the age to change is somewhere between 40 and 55!:)[/quote]

I'm 40, but had the shirt made a couple of years back!

Matthew

[quote name='scouse mouse']Malcolm - every gentleman should know how to tie a bow tie. Wearing a ready made one is cheating.[/quote]

It may well be "cheating" but it does mean that I get some dinner, rather than spending an entire evening in the cabin unsuccessfully attempting to tie one.:( (Besides, when you can only get one-size-fits-all ties with an adjustment on the side I think that looks worse with a wing collar than a pre-tied tie where the adjustment doesn't show:) )

[quote name='pnhmrk']It may well be "cheating" but it does mean that I get some dinner, rather than spending an entire evening in the cabin unsuccessfully attempting to tie one.:( (Besides, when you can only get one-size-fits-all ties with an adjustment on the side I think that looks worse with a wing collar than a pre-tied tie where the adjustment doesn't show:) )[/quote]

Gieves and Hawkes will be pleased to sell you a sized bow tie with no adjuster at all, visible or otherwise.

Matthew

[quote name='dak']Now that could be extremely messy:eek: , not to mention the highly increased risk of Norovirus. I sincerely hope that you will wash your hands thoroughly before mixing in company, and please be ready for some very strange looks:D .

David
who suspects that you are not aware of the term "jobby" in Scottish vernacular.[/quote]

hi david,
yes i am aware. do you remember billy connoly talking about the jobby wicher in aeroplanes?
i obviously didn't mean it like that but it would take the emphasis away from garlic breath wouldn't it:D

[quote name='Nitty']hi david,
yes i am aware. do you remember billy connoly talking about the jobby wicher in aeroplanes?
i obviously didn't mean it like that but it would take the emphasis away from garlic breath wouldn't it:D[/quote]

It would indeed. However it does raise the question of whether it is more or less acceptable than a denim bow tie.:D

David

Just arrived back today from the QE2 and i was quite shocked at what some people were wearing.... ladies in trousers, tee shirts and plimsoles on formal nights. So i can assure you that smart trousers and a silky top would be ok, i personally prefer a dress. But i think it is down to choice. I even saw a man walking around after 9pm in a shell suit !!!

A shell suit !!!! Oh dear!!!

Well I dont own any plimsoles or many pairs of flat shoes for that matter so I,m safe on that score.

My trousers will be worn on the elegant casual night as I said before. At least I now know that I wont look out of place. By the sounds of that I will be over dressed for casual wear but would rather be that way than the other!

Nitty - Mrs :o

[quote name='pb82']If Wikipedia is correct that the folks at Belvoir Castle pronounce it [B]Beaver[/B], then I would be reluctant to accept their opinion on the propriety of anything.

Paul[/quote]

Paul, Wiki is correct with the pronounciation but I hope you don't literally accept their opinion on anything before reaching an independent view!:)

On the question of propriety, as far as I'm concernd if [B]THE[/B] Queen (as in [B]HM [/B]Queen Elizabeth ll) is happy to accept dress trousers at formal functions, then 'guests' on QE2 should be prepared to follow suit.:)

[quote name='Anteeta']On the question of propriety, as far as I'm concernd if [B]THE[/B] Queen (as in [B]HM [/B]Queen Elizabeth ll) is happy to accept dress trousers at formal functions, then 'guests' on QE2 should be prepared to follow suit.:)[/quote]

If I'm a guest, can I have my money back from the last three and one half years please?

Matthew

[quote name='Anteeta']Paul, Wiki is correct with the pronounciation but I hope you don't literally accept their opinion on anything before reaching an independent view!:)
[/quote]

Aneeta,
I sincerely hope that you meant [I]pronunciation, [/I]and we are simply dealing with a typographical error!;)

David

[quote name='Nitty']you really don't get it at all do you.
it's not the 'look what i've got or 'is this dress okay' aspect. it's the fact that we're all going on holiday and are very excited about it and want to talk. it's just another subject to bring up that fact. i sat here the other day wanting to start a thread but not knowing what subject to use.
if anything it usually turns into a competition about who knows more. IT'S A CHAT ROOM.
smoothdancer, you are spot on.
glenn.[/quote]

But what I said is exactly what you said.

Women will have their friend over to show them some item of clothing they got that makes them so excited and happy they want to share. The "is this dress okay?" is the more shy question of the two. That's all.

I may be clueless about some things, but I would be willing to bet I know a smidge more about what women feel about pretty dresses. And women don't even need to go on cruises to have pretty dresses and be excited about them, but it helps some. ;)

[quote name='Kindlychap']There has to be an exception to prove every rule, and this appears to be it.

Wikipedia is correct on this occasion. Hang out the bunting!

Matthew[/quote]

If one's in the right corner of Leicstershire, then the Duke of Rutland may well be wtihin shouting distance. But shouting is so common!:)

Archived