QE2 ladies in trousers

Nitty

So another clothes question!

I have a nice dressy pair of black trousers with sequins down each side of the leg (like mens formal trousers) and would like to wear them with a pretty top on an informal night. Would I look out of place? Do many ladies wear trousers?

Its not a problem if its yes as I have more than enough dresses but I like these trousers and have lots of smart tops I could wear with them.

Thanks in advance for advise.

Nitty - Mrs :o

For an informal night, certainly, no problem.

I can't say I agree about FranKes2000 about formal nights though... On formal nights you will for the most part see the ladies in long dresses. I am not saying anyone will throw you out of the dining room and most people would never notice but I guess it would not be technically "proper".

Anyhow, I personally think underdressed women blend in much easier than underdressed men. This is simply because for a given level of formality, virtually all men wear the same thing, whereas women will wear a whole range of different things that are equally "formal". If there are 100 men at an event and they're all wearing dinner jackets except you're wearing a regular suit, you'll stand out like a sore thumb. If there are 100 women at an event and one is wearing a somewhat less formal dress than the other, how many people will really notice?

That is not to say I envy women, since the flip side of it is that we men always know what we are supposed to be wearing - in other words, if we are underdressed, it is usually willfully so. It is very easy to define casual, informal and formal for a man. For a woman... Not so easy. The fact that it's not set in stone that you have to wear a specific thing means more flexibility but it also means that it takes a lot more thought and it is a lot easier to screw up! So when it comes to fashion I am always very happy not to be a woman, since I know all I have to do is follow the directions and I will very rarely go wrong.

Put them with a sequined top and fancy sandals and they would pass on a formal night.

No, they wouldn't. Not on a formal night.

Mrs. Nitty, what the others said. And between the two of us, I envy (from your other posts) your vast selection of gowns. OTOH, I'm working on my own collection! :p If only the children would leave the house sooner so we could have their closets......:rolleyes:

Host Doug,

You are exactly right. Don't envy the women. If all you had to do was wear some of our "supportive undergarments", you'd cry Uncle in a minute.:D

Now, find a lovely gown that suits you to put on top of that!

Thanks for replies,

I would not wear them on a formal night but sounds like informal night would be fine. I have lots of sparkly/sequined tops that would look nice with them. I think I will def pack them anyway, thanks.

They will honestly be fine for informal. I usually wear a knee length silk dress or something like that. So your trousers will fit right in.

For formal nights you will feel best going all out. There are usually a few people who wear a simple knee length dress, but they always stand out as not being as dressed up as everyone else. My formal wear goes from big swishy silk dresses to more fitted fishtail style. Your dresses for formal night sound perfect.

On the the other hand I feel kind of sorry for you men, with such limited choices on formal night...

I love that I can completly change my formal look with each cruise, sometimes quite traditional in a full ballgown, other times in a sleek a-line to the floor.... It is just such incredible fun and would want to trade places with the gents!!

I agree on the mens clothes thing, it doesnt need any thought really for formal nights it must be quite boring. Glenn has done lots of cruises and had always worn different colour bow ties but he thinks that maybe this cruise he wont, just going with black!. I have bought him some new ones anyway as I think he should match me on formal nights.

I have now got 5 full ball gowns and about 20 suitable dresses for the other nights! As its only 16 nights I think I will be fine now. Just shoe and bag shopping left! Its great! I think I will need 3 cases now.

Put them with a sequined top and fancy sandals and they would pass on a formal night.

They would pass - admittedly not a very good pass:p - but I doubt they'd get you thrown out of the dining room:D

Glenn has done lots of cruises and had always worn different colour bow ties

:eek:

He thinks that maybe this cruise he wont, just going with black!

Thank goodness for that:) Coloured bow ties make a man look like one of the entertainment staff:D

Thanks for replies,

I would not wear them on a formal night but sounds like informal night would be fine. I have lots of sparkly/sequined tops that would look nice with them. I think I will def pack them anyway, thanks.

Mrs Nitty, I'd suggest that you wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. I don't agree that your trousers would be out of place on a formal night; far from it. I don't own any gowns or dresses and was totally happy at every formal evening with dress trousers and a range of alluring sparkly tops, accessories etc. I was comfortable and happy and have no reason to believe that my attire was considered inappropriate or offensive.

We dined in Caronia and were on board for 30 nights last trip, so there were plenty of formal evenings. And we weren't the only laies wearing dress trousers.

I could start the whole jeans debate.......................:eek:

But I won't. Have a great trip:)

Anita

On the the other hand I feel kind of sorry for you men, with such limited choices on formal night...

I love that I can completly change my formal look with each cruise, sometimes quite traditional in a full ballgown, other times in a sleek a-line to the floor.... It is just such incredible fun and would want to trade places with the gents!!

Nonsense!

Different shirt studs, cuff links and watches can completely alter an outfit!

Matthew

Glenn has done lots of cruises and had always worn different colour bow ties

:eek:

but he thinks that maybe this cruise he wont, just going with black!.

Thank goodness for that:) Coloured bow ties make a man look like one of the entertainment staff:D

:eek: From a man who doesn't tie his own tie! How could you?

Matthew

Matthew,

I do agree with the different shirts, studs and wathes thing and Glenn is a collector of all 3. What is your view on the coloured bow tie?

If only the children would leave the house sooner so we could have their closets......:rolleyes:

Angela, How many times do I have to tell you? Sell them while they're still cute! If you wait too long, they get surly and lose all their value! <G>

To add to the OPINIONS, I have seen plenty of "Elderly dowagers" for whom wearing a dress might be agony, or difficult (think osteoporosis, arthritis, and more) wearing elegant pantsuits at a Captain's formal (private) dinner and other formal functions. think about the poem, "When I am old, I shall wear purple" One thing I have always thought about getting older, is I no longer have to be quite the slave to fashion (and shaving, too!). I can wear what I love, or what is comfortable, and if I seem to have a bit of money, I will be called eccentric! To heck with everyone else's opinions. I'll dress for ME, not someone else! :p

As for the bow ties, Mrs. Nitty, bring the bow ties and cummerbunds for hubby. Marc and I have always worn matching outfits, with his accessories matching my gowns. We get lots of compliments and our pictures look divine, like a put-together couple instead of a mish-mosh thrown together. I appreciate that he is willing to not fade into the wallpaper and will sand out and look smarter for me, instead of being Joe Drab, wearing the same uniform as everyone else. (which looks a lot like what the Maitre d' is wearing!)

OTOH, I cannot tell you how many cruises I have been on where elegant ladies whispered behind gloved hand, when sighting Malcolm, "Who is that drab little man over there in the boring repetitive black tie? You'd think he only owns the one suit and tie! Does he ever change?" And the other lady replies "Where, I don't see anyone? Oh , you mean that waiter over there who blends in with the wall paper?"

I cannot tell you, mainly because it has never happened! But hey! It could! <G>

Karie,

who must admit she has never actually been on a cruise with Malcolm

:eek: From a man who doesn't tie his own tie! How could you?

At least the tie I don't tie is a black one:p

Can you imagine how embarrassing it must be to be confused with one of the staff?:D

I don't think Mrs. Nitty qualifies as an elderly dowager!

Somewhere I think the bottom line is this--those of us who are Cunard fans don't wish the dress standards to go circling down the drain like the other lines and will do our part to keep them above the rest. Of course there are always exceptions, like yourself, who may have a need to dress less formally at times, but we are talking about the majority here.

And they do call it black tie for a reason...;)

I missed Matthew. Didn't you? :D

Never mind - he's back now. Perhaps he'll get the May 6th thread up and running again:) (We sound like a pair of great aunts when their favourite nephew goes down at the end of term:D )

To heck with everyone else's opinions. I'll dress for ME, not someone else! :p

Karie - the way I read your attitude from that post is horrendous. I don't think you mean it but it comes across as "I'm alright Jack".:)

Matthew,

I do agree with the different shirts, studs and wathes thing and Glenn is a collector of all 3. What is your view on the coloured bow tie?

A Gentleman would only wear a black bow tie with a dress suit.

Matthew

Karie - the way I read your attitude from that post is horrendous. I don't think you mean it but it comes across as "I'm alright Jack".:)

Who's Jack?

I'm not familiar with that saying... or its connotations.

What I am saying is that it always seems on this board that everyone else seems to think they have a better take on what I (or anyone else) should wear than the wearer does. It is so condescending. It always comes off as though many posters feel that their opinions are the only ones that matter, and that they are always right, and that they have the right to judge other folks' attire! It is just so snooty and so WRONG! Who do these people feel they are to presume that they have the right (and the franchise) to tell others how to act. Who is to tell THEM how to act? Obviously, Emily Post has not gotten through to them about proper etiquette! They may know how to dress properly (or not- It is a matter of opinion, to a degree) but they sure don't know how to act among civilized people!

Karie,

Again, just my opinion, and as guilty as the next one of making presumptions!

Archived