Denali NHT refund; how much?

Sisa

Hi,

I know that some people have been able to get Princess to refund the cost of the Natural History Tour. I am in the process of getting my travel agent to ge this refund for us. Could anyone tell me how much of a refund they were able to obtain? Any info would be appreciated! I am glad to be actually getting some money BACK for a change :)

I thought it was $40 something. You can use that refund toward a shuttle bus that usually costs in the $25-$30 range depending where you are going and still come out way ahead - both financially and in the distance you get to travel inside the park.

I also recall posts of it being in the $30 range. VERY IMPORTANT- if you book yourself on a shuttle bus, or less recommended the Tundra Wilderness tour, Be certain, NOT to pay for the park admission again. You were already charged it with your NHT.

It's the best bargain around going to Fish Creek- at about $25, money back from your refund, and a WAY superior experience.

Be sure to note, the ranger station, at Savage River, all buses stop here for a count and welcome. EVERYTHING you see past there is the bonus of not taking the NHT.

We Just got the refund and it was $ 60.00 / per person. It was difficult to get. I called Princess and they told me the TA had to call. He called and said they would issue a credit for another tour at Denali. I did not want that. I Wanted a refund because we want to do a shuttle bus. To make a long story short. I made 5 calls to Princess and finally spoke with a person that said a refund could be done. I got their name and called my TA with the info. We just got the credit on our last statement. It may be difficult to do now because we are w/i 30 days. Be persistant but nice. Call during regular hours because weekends and late hours there are people there representing Princess not Princess employees. Good luck.

Kevin

I got a refund last year from princess for 4 adults. It was no problem. I called princess directly and there were no questions from them. I also choose to get a refund on the gold mine tour in fairbanks. Again, it was no problem from princess.

I had my TA check, and they told her no refunds. If I try calling Princess directly, do you think they'd take it off? I'd rather get the Polychrome shuttle on my own and see more of the park

Thanks!

Dogdoc2002

I had my TA check, and they told her no refunds. If I try calling Princess directly, do you think they'd take it off? I'd rather get the Polychrome shuttle on my own and see more of the park

Thanks!

Dogdoc2002

See Post #5 above - be persistent. It took that poster 5 phone calls.

Thanks!

Dogdoc2002

Interesting, I didn't know it'd be hard to get a refund. I booked through Costco, so I just e-mail them that I want to cancel, and usually within 2 days, someone will call me back saying its done, and that the refund will be issued to the credit card of the original booking.

My travel agent also told me the NHT couldn't be cancelled with Princess so I called directly. At first they didn't want to talk to me, but I told them I had already asked my TA to cancel and she said she couldn't. Short story--the Princess rep cancelled it for me (ask for the land tour rep). However, when I cancelled she told me it would be a $69 refund, but when the credit came through from Princess it was $39 for adults and $16 for the children. I called Princess again to ask about the difference and the rep said the $69 was if you also cancelled the transfers (which hadn't even come up in the original conversation). I'm still upset because the children didn't get the same refund even though their cruisetour fare was the same as for an adult. Princess couldn't explain that one to me. Decided to "not sweat the small stuff" and forget it. We are reserved on the Toklat shuttle.

We were able to cancel our NHT. No grant you, the couple we are going with, she is our TA. She said it wasn't difficult at all. We will get ours back as shipboard credit. Sometimes I think it is the TA that won't do it because I think that they lose the commision from the tours that they book. I am just guessing about that.

Thanks!

Dogdoc2002

Did you get your refund?

I've about had it with Princess and think we're going back to Royal Caribbean after this trip.

I've tried to get a refund for our NHT and have called our TA and Princess and have gotten nowhere. I even asked the Princess guy just now why they give it to some customers and not others and he just made some smart aleck response.

In case this helps someone else:

I called Princess again this morning and got a very nice rep on the line who said I needed to specifically ask for the land tour desk. She connected me and then I spoke to Autumn, a land tour rep, who was also very nice.

She wasn't able to give me a refund because we have a TA but said to have our TA call and specifically ask for the Land Tour desk and it would be no problem to get the refund for the Natural History tour. She also said that if I had any further problems, to ask for her.

What a difference having someone who was pleasant. I even told her that my opinion of Princess went back up because, even though she couldn't process my request, she didn't just blow me off or act like I was asking for something I didn't deserve. Customer service is so much about making the customer feel valued and like they count. I won't publish his name here but the guy I talked to yesterday ought to go back for a refresher course. :)

Archived