call within 2wks of trip to get passport..JOKE

We applied for my DS's passport in January and just received it a week ago. I was told it would take atleast 10 weeks due to the volume of people applying for spring/summer vacation season. I would definently keep checking the website and calling to make sure they have it. Mine did not show up on the website until the week it was actually processed and sent.

The lady at the post office told me it would take 6 weeks so i thought there would be no problems. I didn't even know you could expedite so i didn't do that either. So you are saying that i should skip my state rep and call my US Senator or Representative? I am getting so nervous! :(

Surely you knew this was an estimate of 6 - 8 weeks, that they cant guarantee when your passport when arrive?

sorry to hear you did not see about expediting, isnt it on the form somewhere that you can check a box and pay extra?

:confused: I am starting to panic.

My new husband booked the cruise as well as a trip to Mexico under our married name, both are in June!

We justgot married and am in the process of changing my name. I sent in all my paperwork- passport with maiden name, marriage certificate, in March and are traveling in June!

I am so nervous, I wish I would have booked everything in my maiden name. Problem is the passport agency now has my passport with my maiden name and I am starting to worry about my new passport being here in time! The check I sent has cleared.

Help! Any advice? Do you think its a little faster to renew with name change than to get new? Can I now pay for expedited service (which I should have done) even though I have already sent everything in?!

My new husband booked the cruise as well as a trip to Mexico under our married name, both are in June!

We justgot married and am in the process of changing my name. I sent in all my paperwork- passport with maiden name, marriage certificate, in March and are traveling in June!

I am so nervous, I wish I would have booked everything in my maiden name. Problem is the passport agency now has my passport with my maiden name and I am starting to worry about my new passport being here in time! The check I sent has cleared.

Help! Any advice? Do you think its a little faster to renew with name change than to get new? Can I now pay for expedited service (which I should have done) even though I have already sent everything in?!

Are you flying down to Mexico, or to another country for the cruise? If so, then you need the passport.

But if not, assuming you're in the States, you can still go on with b.c. and picture ID. So...get another certified copy of marriage certificate (many people say they don't need them, but if I had changed my last name I CERTAINLY would take it in this circumstance), get another copy of certified birth certificate if you don't have a spare, and you can use those, with your gov't picture ID, and you should be fine.

You need a passport even if you walk across now.

I don't know how people believe that. All it takes is a quick look at the passport site and you can see that it's not true. :confused:

Yes, you can still expedite the application. You should be able to do so simply by calling the 800 number and giving them your credit card information. Before my application was showing online, I submitted the e-mail inquiry form and this is the response I got:

Your application is in process at the National Passport Center in New Hampshire.

Applications are normally completed within 10 weeks from when you applied. If you need your passport sooner and did not expedite at the time of application, please call the toll-free number listed below. The additional fee is $60 and can be paid by credit card over the phone.

Online status checks are available for expedite applications approximately 7 days after you applied.

Online status checks are available for routine applications approximately 3 weeks after you applied.

Please allow at least that time before checking the status of your application, via our online service http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html, using the "click here" link.

For further information, please refer to our website www.travel.state.gov or call (877) 487-2778, for TDD/TTY users 1-888-874-7793 (Mon-Fri 7am to midnight ET, excluding federal holidays). If you need to contact us again by email, please include all prior messages/correspondence in your reply so we can review what has previously taken place.

Thank you.

National Passport Information Center

I opted to wait it out until approximately two weeks prior to my trip to see what would happen. I called 17 days before the trip (but said it was 14). At first they tried to tell me that I wouldn't need my passport for the cruise, that I would be fine with my birth certificate and marriage license, but I reminded them that I had included those documents with my application. The rep. then said that she would send an e-mail to center where my application was being processed. My status was still showing as "in process" five days later, so I called again and was told that my passport had been sent out priority mail the day before. I had it in my hands the very next day. It worked out for me without expediting, but I've read some horror stories on these boards about people repeatedly being told that their passports would be sent out soon, when in fact they weren't. If you're truly concerned, then I would say go ahead and pay the $60 to expedite it. In the scheme of things, an extra $60 for peace of mind is not such a high price. And no, name changes do not seem to be getting processed more quickly. Mine was a simple name change and I work for the government, so you would think that they could have processed it a tad bit faster since they've already done a background check on me, but it took 11 weeks with extra prodding from me!:eek:

u do need one if you are flying into canada. we needed a quickie passport so i drove to our nearest place, which was houston, and waa-laa...i received one for my son within 6 hours. i arrived at 9:10 am and was out for 3:30 pm.

if you are traveling within 2 weeks, you can do it this way. you have to show proof you are traveling.

if you think paying the expedited fee and trying to get it by mail will work, forget it. they had MANY MANY MANY people there...some have been trying to get one since December.....and still no passport.

good luck!

Hey, a friend of mine is sched. to leave this FRIDAY for her cruise and land tour. They need their passports bc they are flying into Vancouver BC. The deal w/ the passport place about calling in 2 wks bf your trip is a joke, they have done nothing but give her a hard time..any suggestions on what they can do. She was told by RCCL that they do need their passports if they are flying into Canada and a birth certi. would not work, only if you are 'sailing' in is when you can use a birth.cert. PLEASE Help. Any advice, or suggestions????????

Listen all kinds of things come up, however almost everyone knows they are going on a cruise. They may not know when but are looking. With travel restrictions in place now why would they wait!

Maybe this lesson will get picked up by others. Driving as others have said is an option, best of luck.

The lady at the post office told me it would take 6 weeks so i thought there would be no problems. I didn't even know you could expedite so i didn't do that either. So you are saying that i should skip my state rep and call my US Senator or Representative? I am getting so nervous! :(

I am sorry you had bad information LeighNtexas. It has been well publicized since January that the State Department has had a backlog of passport applications due to the new law. It is unfortunate that the postal person wasn't paying attention to the reality of the situation.

Since it is a federal requirement to have a passport, trying your US representatives might be the better approach. As others have mentioned, they have been receiving lots of phone calls about this issue so there may be nothing they can do. Calling the National Passport Center is always your best first option and keep bugging them until you get what you need; your passport mailed to you.

Can you imagine if everybody did this?

Unfortunately, it is happening a lot more often than we probably know right now. Anything that can be done to help expedite at this point is what people are doing.

u do need one if you are flying into canada. we needed a quickie passport so i drove to our nearest place, which was houston, and waa-laa...i received one for my son within 6 hours. i arrived at 9:10 am and was out for 3:30 pm.

if you are traveling within 2 weeks, you can do it this way. you have to show proof you are traveling.

if you think paying the expedited fee and trying to get it by mail will work, forget it. they had MANY MANY MANY people there...some have been trying to get one since December.....and still no passport.

good luck!

Where in Houston did you go? I didn't know you could get one the same day. How much is it to have it done that way? I have several friends that have seemed to wait until the last minute. They still haven't gone.

We've got our passports (thank goodness!), but a friend has been checking online for her passport since her check has cleared but they still had not received it. We realized that her name was listed "wrong". the last name had Mc at the front of it but NO SPACE! However, the listing online HAS a space in it! We then found the passport had been received. Try alternate spacing (ie: MC C or McC) or titles for the names (ie: jr, sr, 3rd, etc). Hope you get replies soon! Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice.

I have decided to go to the local agency (I am lucky, I live about 40 min. from one) because I dont even want to take a chance. Now, 14 days before my trip, I will be going and sitting at the local agency. At this point I will sit as long and pay as much as needed to be able to go on my honeymoon! Wish me luck as all my paper work is in Washington and all I have is an application # given to me by the call center!

Good luck to everyone!

I lost my passport and needed to apply for a new one before a trip which is rapidly approaching. I applied with the expedited service and had a new passport in my hands less than 7 days later.

You can also make an appointment at a passport agency and get one issued same-day. The San Francisco agency requires you provide proof that you're travelling in under 14 days, just to make sure only the people who need it quickly make appointments.

So, does anyone know what would happen if you tried to fly from the US to Canada with just a BC? Would they just hold you over and interrogate you, or send you back, or what? Just curious...

Guest scfjjb
Where in Houston did you go? I didn't know you could get one the same day. How much is it to have it done that way? I have several friends that have seemed to wait until the last minute. They still haven't gone.

Federal building downtown on Smith Street (address may be Louisiana) it is near Pierce Street)

I must have been very lucky because we applied on April 2 and received them in the mail between May 5th and May 11th. My husband handed them directly into the courthouse where he works, don't know if they could have pushed them along somehow, I'm not asking any questions! Now we're all set.

[quote name='gdisney']So, does anyone know what would happen if you tried to fly from the US to Canada with just a BC? Would they just hold you over and interrogate you, or send you back, or what? Just curious...[/quote]

[SIZE=3]They ask for your passport at the airport when you check in........if you don't have it then you don't fly. The passport rules have been in effect since Jan 23rd of this year and they do not let you fly into Canada without one. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sandie[/SIZE]

I'm traveling to the med with my dd in early July. We both applied on March 23 and my passport is in process, but hers is not. If she needs to go to the passport agency will she need another birth cert? She sent the original with her passport application.
Thanks for any help

[quote name='dadstoy']I'm traveling to the med with my dd in early July. We both applied on March 23 and my passport is in process, but hers is not. If she needs to go to the passport agency will she need another birth cert? She sent the original with her passport application.
Thanks for any help[/quote]
I applied for mine at the same time as my son. One of them appeared in process for a long time before the other, almost 2 weeks if I remember correctly. We received both passports on the same day.

Thought our timeline might help others.

DH & I applied @ post office on 3/27/07
Checks from post office showing on our acct 3/29
Checks to Dept of State showing on our acct 4/23
Website finally showing both passports in process today (5/16):)
Need passport for 6/24

Will post when they are received.

I process passports and I don't understand why you aren't contacting the facility where you applied if you are within two weeks of departure and don't have your passport.
I help people every week. for instance today, a person sent in a renewal and forgot to send in the money order and she applied 10 weeks ago and hadn't heard anything. She is leaving next week. I was able to locate her application and with her credit card number was able to get the passport sent out tonight with over night service. She should have it tomorrow.
If you can't get through on the 800 number contact the facility where you applied, they have numbers for all the agencies that are not available to the public. They should be able to help you.
I wish I could help everyone here...

Donna

We leave next week... My two sons have still not received theirs....(applied March 2)... I ahve been calling everyday... the passport agent (processors) I have talked to have been trying thier best, and very nice.... to locate and upgraded them to a free expedited service earlier tonight.... so will see...

[quote name='dmhoul']I process passports and I don't understand why you aren't contacting the facility where you applied if you are within two weeks of departure and don't have your passport.
I help people every week. for instance today, a person sent in a renewal and forgot to send in the money order and she applied 10 weeks ago and hadn't heard anything. She is leaving next week. I was able to locate her application and with her credit card number was able to get the passport sent out tonight with over night service. She should have it tomorrow.
If you can't get through on the 800 number contact the facility where you applied, they have numbers for all the agencies that are not available to the public. They should be able to help you.
I wish I could help everyone here...

Donna[/quote]

I applied at our local post office. Are you saying I should contact THEM? My trip is June 8th, i applied feb. 22nd. I did not expedite because the lady at the post office said i didn't need to, it would only take 6 weeks! Yeah RIGHT!! 14 days out of my trip will be friday of next week, then the next monday is a holiday. I am not waiting until friday to try to get ahold of someone! I woud expedite our passports in a second if someone would let me!

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']Can you imagine if everybody did this?[/quote]
They do at times. I know of somwonw who called his congress person at 10 Am and asked if he needed a passport for his newly born child to be on a plane at 6 pm that evening. He had the passport by 3 pm. I have myself gotten a passport in one day and have others issued in one day as well. If your member of the House of representatives can't help you call any or your two US senators. Senator D'Amato was the best at this and would help anyone Republican or Democrat.

[quote name='papa1952']:( You need a passport even if you walk across now.;)[/quote]

Nope. Land and sea arrivals, including walking, need only an official copy of the birth certificate and photo ID until January 2008.

What went into effect in January 2007 was passport required for AIR travel. They changed it to air only only a couple of months before it was to into effect.

BTW - I live about 100 miles south of Vancouver and drive there.

Archived