Live on Journey 5/12/07

ella99

The only mention I saw was:

"We slept well on thick mattresses and had down comforters."

Have you contacted the company to ask what the brand and type of bedding is? I understand, my DH has back problems too -- trying to find a new couch he could actually sit on was quite the challenge!

I can tell you that the mattresses were very comfortable. I too have a bad back and I really liked the mattress. The down comforter was very fluffy and comfortable while being light as well. I am going to contact the cruise line to find out how I can buy that comforter.

The only mention I saw was:

"We slept well on thick mattresses and had down comforters."

Have you contacted the company to ask what the brand and type of bedding is? ...

I can tell you that the mattresses were very comfortable. I too have a bad back and I really liked the mattress. ....

Thanks for the info! Good idea, happycat, about contacting the company - but I think I'll wait until things settle down a bit!:rolleyes:

How much is internet access?

.65 a min or you can get a package- I got $40.00 for 75 min. (.53) the had other packages with more minutes but I can't remember pricing. It's as slow as dial-up.

2/1As have shower curtains, not doors as they are in the walk in type. If you aren't careful you can flood out the bathroom floor. I think the cabin size is okay, but a bit small for the price and comfort. However, the extra benefit fo the balcony is nice as you can always retreat to it when extra space or fresh air is needed. I'm curious to know if they had to remove drawers/cabinets to insert the refrigerators as they were not part of the original design. Happy Sailing!

Never really understood why folks take these shake-down cruises but, to each his own. Think in a few months the kinks will either be ironed out or the real problems (if any) will be known. Was on one of the Oceania ships a year ago and hated it = thought it was garish and flashy with varely average food and not very comfortable. But, that said, I rather liked the ship (just not the line) so I will be anxious to read, in the fullness of time, that this ship and its sister are good options for folks who like open-seating dining and non-smoking environments in upmarket resort attire. We were in a forward balcony cabin and it was noisy from thrusters and rocky from rough seas - midship might definitely be the way to go on these ships. The photos posted to date seem a positive sign.

Was on one of the Oceania ships a year ago and hated it = thought it was garish and flashy with varely average food and not very comfortable.

Well you probably will not like the Journey ...almost the same decor as the O ships.

Never really understood why folks take these shake-down cruises but, to each his own.

Exactly where was it advertised that the first three or four cruises were going to be "shake down cruises". I booked 18 months ago on Zenith - a well established ship and look what I ended up getting.

This is a perfect example of why returning passengers are reluctant to post of their experience on these cruises. They are now on their third cruise and these ships are nowhere near ready to receive passengers for what they refer to as a deluxe experience. Since when is deluxe plastic pool chairs and balcony doors screwed shut?

On behalf of those that don't know enough to do so, I apologize to Journey No More and the many other posters that were chastised and criticized for their negative comments and criticisms. I, for one, appreciate your feedback and are horrified at the trials and tribulations that Celebrity/Azamara put you through. I don't understand why people keep acting like you knew you were going on a 'shakedown' cruise. I, like you, signed up for the Zenith. Perhaps the others making these comments signed up later, and don't realize your circumstances.

In any case, thanks for what feedback and information you can provide. Most of us appreciate your honesty.

nlvc12

On behalf of those that don't know enough to do so, I apologize to Journey No More and the many other posters that were chastised and criticized for their negative comments and criticisms. I, for one, appreciate your feedback and are horrified at the trials and tribulations that Celebrity/Azamara put you through. I don't understand why people keep acting like you knew you were going on a 'shakedown' cruise. I, like you, signed up for the Zenith. Perhaps the others making these comments signed up later, and don't realize your circumstances.

In any case, thanks for what feedback and information you can provide. Most of us appreciate your honesty.

nlvc12

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have known for months, and well before final payment was due, that there would be a switch of ships, and that Journey would be freshly out of drydock for the first few cruises. We made a choice to keep our booking based on the gamble that since our cruise is a month after the drydock, most issues will hopefully be taken care of. This may be the case, or it may not. We'll see when we get there.

I am grateful to have the unvarnished truth, good or bad. What I am not too thrilled about is the whiney attitude of some that their entire lives have been ruined because the ship was still a work in progress during their cruise. There are a few posters that seem to feel that Azamara will never be a decent cruise line because Journey's first few cruises had problems. I get the impression that nothing, not one single thing, was enjoyable or even acceptable on their cruise, and they think Azamara should go out of business as soon as possible. They post the same negative information on every possible thread, again and again.

Please don't apologise to these few posters on my behalf. It might encourage them to keep up their campaign. They only have one song to sing, and I am very tired of hearing it.

Lisa

Lisa:

The beauty of these boards is that people, including yourself, CAN express their opinion and in fact are entitled to do such.

That being said, I will express mine. I think passengers who did not receive what was promised DO have a valid complaint whether the cruise was free or not. Nobody asked for an imperfect vacation wrought with problems which could have been prevented with better planning. Azamara/Celebrity dropped the ball big time!!! Certainly, this product does have the potential for an excellent future, but right now I will say shame on Azamara/Celebrity.

While I certainly agree that most pax on the initial Journey cruise have legitimate complaints, the over-the-top negativism of a few makes me wonder if their intention, for whatever reason, isn't to harm Azamara's future business. It's the tone, the shrillness and the multiple posts that place me on guard about possible motives.

I agree - I believe those who have complaints should be free to fully disclose them without chastisement or fear of either making things up or somehow having a character flaw which does not allow them to roll over and make the most of a situation. I hear the refrain over and over - "it's what you make it" - and poor quality experiences go unnoticed or unreported. It is only by standing up for yourself that corrections are made. If no one complains, the cruise lines feel they can get by with the substandard.

To hear only glowing comments on a cruise line is not very helpful in determining which I might like to experience. I want to hear the good - AND the bad. Otherwise it is just a big pep rally for a cruise line.

Exactly where was it advertised that the first three or four cruises were going to be "shake down cruises". I booked 18 months ago on Zenith - a well established ship and look what I ended up getting.

Sorry but common sense and an awareness of what has happened on many, many ships (including the Cunard ladies) tells me that the first few cruises on a new ship are likely going to be works in progress. If they're not, what a happy surprise!

If the decor on the Journey is as tacky as Oceania, then I will take a pass. Brocade and flocked wallpaper went out with disco!

While I certainly agree that most pax on the initial Journey cruise have legitimate complaints, the over-the-top negativism of a few makes me wonder if their intention, for whatever reason, isn't to harm Azamara's future business. It's the tone, the shrillness and the multiple posts that place me on guard about possible motives.

But can't the converse be true as well. There are many times on this board where the posters seem overly defensive of the cruise line to the point where you have to begin to wonder what possible motive could they have other than to be a shill for the cruise line.

What seems most unnecessary is those here who defend/promote the cruise line are at times quite rude to those who are simply posting their stories. The only purpose that serves is to make the honest posters go away and leave the responses to the fanatics on each side of the fence. The end result is that this particular board is not, in my opinion, a very accurate place to come and garner information about Celebrity Cruise Lines and now Azamara Cruise Lines.

If I want to read gushy reports I need only go to the cruise lines web site and read their propaganda. I would hope that we could learn the full scoop here but for the most part the real stories seem suppressed and shoved in the background while the fanatics jab back and forth with the allegations followed by cover-up. Lets get rid of all the fanatics and shills and open this forum up to honest decent conversation for a change.

Never wanted a butler.

Don't need fridge.

Don't watch TV on cruise.

If these are three of my biggest problems, I'm going to have a great time!

Do you enjoy having an expected four day visit to a foreign country cut short by a day because the ship couldn't leave the pier?

Do you like to have workmen in your room, most times without notice?

Do you enjoy and expect to have a pool and pooldeck available when you cruise?

Do you expect to only get lip service or lies when you try to bring a problem to someone's attention?

If so, you would have had a great time on the Journey.

Hi Journey No More

I was not thinking of you specifically in my post, but since you bring it up... I have now carefully read every word of your six (at the time of my posting) posts and nowhere in any of the first five do you say anything positive about your cruise, the Journey or Azamara. The only positive thing you say is in your post answering mine: that the "general concensus from us returning passengers that at least the food on our cruises made the grade and that we saw great potential for the ship as whole when complete."

I am grateful to you for reporting the facts. I now know not to expect a butler, and I won't be surprised if my cabin doesn't have a fridge. If my balcony door is bolted shut, I won't be happy about that, but at least I'll know that it's happened to others.

It's good that you've reported the minus points, but it would also be helpful to hear if you thought there were any plus points. It's easier to form a complete a picture if a poster says, "Well, A was awful, but B was really good."

Lisa

But can't the converse be true as well. There are many times on this board where the posters seem overly defensive of the cruise line to the point where you have to begin to wonder what possible motive could they have other than to be a shill for the cruise line.

What seems most unnecessary is those here who defend/promote the cruise line are at times quite rude to those who are simply posting their stories. The only purpose that serves is to make the honest posters go away and leave the responses to the fanatics on each side of the fence. The end result is that this particular board is not, in my opinion, a very accurate place to come and garner information about Celebrity Cruise Lines and now Azamara Cruise Lines.

If I want to read gushy reports I need only go to the cruise lines web site and read their propaganda. I would hope that we could learn the full scoop here but for the most part the real stories seem suppressed and shoved in the background while the fanatics jab back and forth with the allegations followed by cover-up. Lets get rid of all the fanatics and shills and open this forum up to honest decent conversation for a change.

Amen. I started the thread about the Azamara Debacle for the benefit of others. I could not understand the attacks my comments were receiving from people. Even began to wonder (and still do) if some of the critics of my review were Company employees. Thanks for your post. I hope the critics read the honest reviews being posted after the second Journey cruise.

I agree - I believe those who have complaints should be free to fully disclose them without chastisement or fear of either making things up or somehow having a character flaw which does not allow them to roll over and make the most of a situation. I hear the refrain over and over - "it's what you make it" - and poor quality experiences go unnoticed or unreported. It is only by standing up for yourself that corrections are made. If no one complains, the cruise lines feel they can get by with the substandard.

To hear only glowing comments on a cruise line is not very helpful in determining which I might like to experience. I want to hear the good - AND the bad. Otherwise it is just a big pep rally for a cruise line.

Thank you.

Lisa:

The beauty of these boards is that people, including yourself, CAN express their opinion and in fact are entitled to do such.

That being said, I will express mine. I think passengers who did not receive what was promised DO have a valid complaint whether the cruise was free or not. Nobody asked for an imperfect vacation wrought with problems which could have been prevented with better planning. Azamara/Celebrity dropped the ball big time!!! Certainly, this product does have the potential for an excellent future, but right now I will say shame on Azamara/Celebrity.

Exactly the point, thank you.

It's good that you've reported the minus points, but it would also be helpful to hear if you thought there were any plus points. It's easier to form a complete a picture if a poster says, "Well, A was awful, but B was really good."

Lisa

For me it would be rather difficult to report any good points. My balcony doors were screwed shut and when I went up to the pool deck it was constantly being worked on and was dusty. That was enough to show me that I should not have been paying full price and had the effect of tainting my opinion of this cruise. Perhaps they will be better in the future but they just did not present me with a very good first impression.

I did mention the food was ok - no better and no worse than Celebrity. I had expected something better so in all reality you could actually say I ended up being dissapointed with this aspect of the cruise as well.

Here is a positive for you though - there was never ever a problem finding an empty plastic pool chair, albeit a little dusty!!!

Archived