Pompeii: Tour guide, audio or DIY?

We are in the midst of making arrangements for a private tour from the port which will include Pompeii, however understand there is an additional entrance fee (11E) to the city.

We are told that only licensed guides can take you into the city and this fee is 100E.

I understand we can rent the audio tapes.

I would appreciate any suggestions......

There are 8 of us, are we best served with a tour guide (told it's about 1hr 45min)

Should one of us buy a book and self guide? Should we look to group up with some other folks, I don't know how many is too many or allowed.

Thanks much........Our trip is in October

we went wit hthe tour guide instead of the audio one. we were a group of 6 (4 went with the tour guide, 2 did the audio) there are tour guides wating at the entrance to get groups together. my party of 4 arranged with a tour guide and he got a group of about 6 other peopel and gave us a tour for about $ 20 each, well worth it. the tour guides are really knowledgeable and know a lot more then the audio tour.

NJTOM

Like most things, a lot depends on your level of interest.

We did a guided tour. In terms of the "canned information" the guide provided, it was probably not a lot different from the audio guide (which I've read is pretty good for this site). However, having a guide enables you to ask questions, which in turn prompts the guide to give more information or go a little off the beaten track in order to respond to your interest.

For me, I'd rate the choices as 1) guided tour; 2) audio guide; 3) self-guided tour using guidebook only.

I would NOT use a written guide book. The streets are very uneven, and you have to be looking where you're walking, not reading and figuring out where to go next.

Audio or tour guide. With the audio, however, you can all stop if you want and take time in particular areas of interest, then start up again. With the tour guide you keep moving.

You get a free map and guide book at the entrance which is very good and informative. Typically tour guides gather groups together at 10e each and when they get a decent sized group you start the tour. If its is busy you may get a group 15 to 20 and if it is quiet you may get a group of 8. Alternatively, you can get your driver (if you are on a private tour) to arrange for a guide to be waiting for you when you get there.

It all depends what sort of time you have. Pompeii is huge and a tour lasts about 2 hours which is a good taster to start with if you are visiting other places as well.

We have visited 3 times now and there are still places that we haven't seen.

The guides inside are the same whether you go with the ships tour, private tour or on your own.

This will be my second visit (first was over 20 years ago). We have a short 1.5-2 hours. I am opting for the audio so I can go to the areas that I want to see vs. standing in a spot while a guide is talking to a group.

Archived