Latest time to disembark on final day

Maclean girl

Could someone give me an idea of the latest we could stay on the Rotterdam on our final cruise day? We will be in Athens and have booked the only HAL tour and airport transfer which is about 4 1/2 hours starting at 8:30. The problem is that our flight to London does not leave till 7:05 pm which would leave us with a LONG wait at the airport.

I am thinking that we should cancel the HAL tour and maybe book a local guide who could then take us to the airport as well. Does this sound feasible and if so, what would be the latest we could leave the ship? And also, could anyone recommend a good reliable guide for Athens?

I would appreciate any advice you all could offer me. Thanks!

Although I've never (dis-)embarked in Athens, I would say---based on many other ports---that the last passengers will be disembarked sometime between 10:00 and 10:30 AM. When the last passengers are off there is very little turn-around time before new passengers begin boarding. That usually starts about 11:30-noon.

You will have a long wait at the airport whether or not you take the tour, but it looks like it will be a shorter wait if you leave earlier for the tour.

I can't speak to the question of latest allowable disembarkation time, but here's a thought: Why would you want to spend less than the maximum amount of time you possibly can in one of the world's most historic and fascinating cities?

Given how late your outbound flight is, I think your idea of cancelling the HAL tour and making your own arrangements is a good one. Disembark at your earliest convenience; arrange in advance for a safe place you can stash your luggage (preferably without having to drive all the way back to the port to retrieve it - maybe at the train station?); hire a private guide (check the Ports of Call board for recommendations); and spend the day seeing the Acropolis, the museums, etc., etc. Then, at the end of the day, retrieve your luggage and make your way to the airport.

Maybe you can also book a day room at a hotel. That solves the problem of where to put the luggage, and gives you a place to shower and change before you head to the airport.

Don't shortchange yourselves by staying on the ship, when Athens actually takes MORE than a day to "do" properly! Enjoy!

Everything depends on the length of your tour. Those passengers who have booked HAL cruises will be called when their tour is ready to leave. This could be before everyone is off the ship or before everyone is off the ship. HAL will arrange the bus according to when people need to be at the airport.

JMO - I would book a HAL excursion at the end of the cruise - that way your luggage is locked in the bus while you tour.

My reason for wanting to leave the ship late is that my health is not good...I have cancer which makes me quite fatigued easily. That is why I don't want to have to sit around on uncomfortable seats in the airport for maybe 5 hours. I figured that if we met a guide at around 10, looked at the important sites in Athens for 4-5 hours, then went out to the airport, that would be more manageable for me than starting the whole tour at 8:30 am and then getting to the airport around 1:30 or 2pm.

Looking to book a day room at a hotel or leaving luggage at the train station are both good ideas and something for me to think about. Thank you for the suggestions.

Sorry to hear about your health problems.

I think the suggestion about a day room and private guide is great if that is within your budget.

That would give you the opportunity to see some highlights of an amazing city and still be able to shower and perhaps take a short rest before you head to the airport.

Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy your day in Athens.

This is probably a dumb question but could anyone tell me how I would go about finding a hotel that would offer a day room?

Sorry about your health issues.

If I were you I would not bother with a day room. Book a private guide and leave late (10:00am etc). Find out what, if any, Clubs are at the airport. Usually, if you are not a member, you can pay a fee to use the facilities. They usually have comfortable chairs and drinks. You can bring food in from the airport and relax.

One of my favoriite things when early to BWI in Maryland, is buying crab cakes on the way to the airport and hanging in the US Airways Club and eating them before a flight. The club rooms are a good place to relax.

Archived