Day trip to Victoria - What to do with luggage?

cujosmom

We are sailing on the Serenade from Vancouver on Sept 5. We arrive in Vancouver noon-ish the day before and will staying in a downtown hotel (not booked yet). When we return on Sept 12, we do not fly out until the next morning so have most of the day on Sept 12.

We want to go to Victoria. What is the best way to do this? The afternoon we arrive, after checking into our hotel and ridding ourselves of luggage? Would be close to 2 PM by the time we would be ready to go.

Or, would it be better to do this after the cruise when we're back in Vancouver? If so, what do we do with our luggage? Since we have an early flight the NEXT morning (7:30 AM), we're thinking of a hotel closer to the airport.

What is the best way to get to and from Victoria? Ferry?

ALL information and hints will be appreciated.

Until we sail on Serenade of the Seas to Alaska

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;09;05;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My opinion only- you don't have enough time for Victoria. Can you add a day on either end? For me Victoria even with an early departure and late return- wouldn't be a day trip. There is plenty to see in Vancouver that would make better use of your time. The only option I would recommend would be to have flights arranged your day of return, round trip Victoria. Staying at the airport is best for an early am departure.

Queen, Do you really think we wouldn't have time to go to Victoria on the day we come back from our cruise? I would think we would be off the ship by 9:30 at the latest. And since we don't leave until the next day, wouldn't that give us basically a day to see Victoria? My main concern is what to do with luggage since we will be staying at an airport hotel that night. The Serenade will not be docking at Canada Place but Ballantyne (sp?) I sure do want to see Victoria but if you think it is not do-able, we will concentrate on Vancouver.

Until we set sail to Alaska on the Serenade of The Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I have been to both on day trips, I would have to agree with Budget Queen, you really don't have enough time to see Victoria with your schedule. Both times I went to Victoria for the day, I wished I had at least 3 days there. I don't know exact travel times, but you should probably expect 3-4 hours travel time each way if you take the ferry (including drive time to the ferry port). Also, consider the time you need to check in and out of the airport if you fly. The whole thing sounds a little too ambitious to me. Your time would be more well served to spend a day in Vancouver. They do have gardens there, plus a whole lot more. You could not possibly be disappointed in the city, it is absolutely beautiful.

On our August cruise, we will also spend an additional day in Vancouver after we disembark. We are planning to be very touristy and take the trolley around town, it's a good way to get a peek at a good portion of Vancouver.

Whatever your plans, have a great trip!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy (and Queen), I guess we will just spend our last day in Vancouver and save Victoria for another time. (good excuse to come back).

So, is there any suggestions as to what to do with luggage after we disembark and before we head for the airport hotel in the late afternoon or early evening?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Does your hotel offer a free airport shuttle and a shuttle downtown? If so, why not take your luggage to the hotel, drop it off and then take a shuttle or public transportation whereever you want to go. Stanley Park is great and there is also a tram close by, that takes you up to the top of this mountain (skiiing in winter, great hiking in summer)where the view is incredible.

I agree Victoria on your schedule is unrealistic.

Instead enjoy Vancouver. i would opt for a downtown hotel rather than airport location and then just use the airport shuttle or a taxi or limo the next morning for your flight. that way get off the ship & dump your luggage at your hotel then head out to enjoy Vancouver.

Some of my favorites:

Staying right int he downtown area:

Visit Gastown a great area for souveniers - see the statue of Gassey Jack (one of the original settlers & businessman (if somewhat unsavory businesses)) - see the steam clock - visit The lookout Harbour Center Tower for a spectacular 360 degree view of Vancouver and the North Shore Mountains www.vancouverlookout.com and there is also a wounderful revolving restaurant here atop the tower that I have taken many visitors to and all have enjoyed!

Vancouver's China Town the laregest north of San Fransisco and home to Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Gardens. Let the jade green ponds, natural rock sculptures, distinctive architecture, courtyards and plants that create a tranquil oasis of harmony and balance enchant you. www.vancouverchinesegardens.com

Accross the street from the gardens see the world's thinnest building - only 6' wide.

Enjoy Stanley park and Vancouver's world renowned aquarium www.vanaqua.org

Take a trip up Grouse Mountain (you can reach Grouse Mountain by city bus) located only 15 mins from downtown. At the top enjoy not only the wonderful panoramic views but also a loggers/lumberjack show, visit the wildlife refuge home to 2 grizzlie bears, experience the theatre in the sky and dien in the critically acclaimed hiwus feasthouse which offers a unique first nations dining and cultural experience.

www.grousemountain.com

Capilano Suspension Bridge is another must - Cross the gently swaying span and into a world of towering evergreens, trout ponds and meandering trails. Visit First Nation carvers in their Big House, stroll among majestic totem poles, prize gardens and stunning views + don't miss the Trading Post for shopping. www.capbridge.com

The above will fill up 2 days very easily. If you have more questions email me realtors@portal.ca

Enjoy our wonderful city

Ann

Ann, thanks for your reply and the numerous links. Yes, it looks like we will just spend our time in Vancouver and save Victoria for another trip.

I was hoping to spend the last night at an airport hotel (especially the Fairmont Airport) for convenience because of our early morning flight, but if we spend alot of time getting our luggage to the hotel and then back to the city, that's a waste of time. Better maybe to get a hotel in the city and go to bed early so we can get up early the next morning. LOL -- or just sleep when we get back home!!

WE did this trip last year and loved it. We were on Celebrity and there is a luggage storage area in the terminal. It is locked and has an attendant. There is a nominal fee for this service. Within walking distance of the cruise ship terminal are the terminals for the float plances which fly directly into Victoria harbor. The trip takes a half hour. This will give you a full day in Victoria. Victoria is definitely worth it. We used west coast air but harbour air is also good.

http://www.harbour-air.com/ and

http://www.westcoastair.com/

Socrmom - Thanks for the suggestions and especially the "links". We will be disembarking at Ballantyne instead of Canada Place but they probably have a place where we could store our luggage, too.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Archived