How Much Luggage

jade8710

I need some help here before I get a divorce. We will be on the Mercury in June to Alaska and my wife thinks we need 4 large suitcases(30"). I think we need 2 large & 2 carryons. What do we really need & where do we keep them onboard?

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but my husband and I got by on a 12-day Baltic cruise (16 days total) with one large suitcase and one smaller carry-on per person. How about if you take what you think is necessary and let her take what she thinks is necessary - but don't help her carry her luggage. She'll learn!

I need some help here before I get a divorce. We will be on the Mercury in June to Alaska and my wife thinks we need 4 large suitcases(30"). I think we need 2 large & 2 carryons. What do we really need & where do we keep them onboard?

I agree with you! But being guys, we're the ones that have to hump all that stuff around ;) so we probably look at it differently than the women

-Monte

For our Alaska cruise last year we took a 26" roll-on, a duffle bag (we drove to Vancouver), 2 camera bags and a small knapsack. We doing another Alaska cruise next week, driving to Seattle, and are taking the same thing plus a wheeled ice chest for wine, water and pop.

We were on HAL and there was room under the bed to store the luggage.

When we did independent traveling we always went very light, an airline legal size roll-on and legal size trifold garment bag, plus one small knapsack. We were usually gone for 4 - 5 1/2 weeks. We didn't need formal clothes and traveled in shoulder times so didn't need anything more than a windbreaker or rain shell for coats. We found that nothing makes travel more inconvenient than being loaded down with luggage.

I agree with OldCodger - less is more. I will be cruising in two weeks and if it doesn't fit in a carry-on bag and a backpack, it's not going. I bring a small duffle bag for purchases along the way. If I run out of clothes, it's a perfect opportunity to buy a nice t-shirt or fleece jacket from somewhere I visited.

My problem is that my electronic gear now takes up more space than my clothes. By the time I get my computer, portable DVD player, camera gear, cell phone and charger, portable hard drive, etc. packed, I have no room for clothing.

Keep in mind airline rules. Most airlines limit the passengers to 2 checked pcs of luggage, no more than 50 lbs each (not 25 lbs in 1, 75 in another) AND two carryons (handbag and suitcase) Keep your purse in one of the carryons, if needed, as you are not allowed to bring on three carryons and a purse is considered one. I have an extra duffel that completely folds into itself packed in one of the other checked bags that is reserved for souveniers and any weight overages at the airport.

We have 1 large wheeled duffel, 1 large and 1 medium wheeled suitecase (fully extended). We are carrying 1 small wheeled suitcase and 2 hand bags.

Through careful packing, I was able to fit A LOT in the suitcases, using large zip lock bags and removing the air from them.

:eek: My husband is packing more than me! :rolleyes: We're taking four 29-30" suitcases and a couple of carry-ons!!! Of course, I don't plan on using all the room in my big suitcases. I want to have room to bring stuff back! :D

FYI: Clothes tend to become more wrinkled if there is too much room left in a suitcase. The friction of them sliding against one another contributes to the wrinkle problems. IMO only, I think it would be better to pack full 3 smaller cases and do as others suggested and pack a folding large duffel for all the "stuff" you intend to purchase. Hope this helps!

Get ready for the divorce. You are right!! ;) (and probably still taking too much )

We leave on Friday for a week cruise and a week on our own. We started packing last night and it looks like we are going to have 4 large (30") cases and 2 carry on's apiece! All the cases are under 50 lbs. I know we have way overpacked.... I just hope it all fits into our rental car after the cruise!

Wow@!!! Let us know how you do with all that.:eek: .. we went to TJ Maxx and bought a liteweight expandable 28" suitcase and will check that and a 25" that we have and then take two carryons on the plane (20").. Fortunately we get free laundry on Princess but OMG I can't imagine getting 4 suitcases from the car to the airport terminal if we didn't have time to let one of with the bags and then go park... first time I went to Alaska I overpacked.. this is 7th trip.. so I've "learned".. but will still be taking out and putting in.... it's harder to pack bec. you need bulky stuff that you don't need for so many itins!

We're taking 2 sets of luggage (one red and one green no less).

Two big ones (but their not the same size, weird). One for cruise, one for pre/post cruise. A smaller piece of luggage for shoes/bathroom stuff/towels (need for pre/post cruise) and odds and ends.

Plus I will have a carryon backpack (electronics) and small over the shoulder bag with wallet, camera, identification in etc.

I hope we haven't overpacked!:(

There are six in our group for a seven day cruise and seven days pre/post travel. We are sharing one wheeled garment bag for formalwear and then each taking one large suitcase plus 2 carryon bags (we are taking 2 carryons because last year we cruised the Med. and were without our checked luggage for 4 days in Florence). This luggage problem did not ruin our vacation, but it was inconvenient. I am hand carrying as much as I am legally allowed.

Elsie:cool:

The only reason I had two checked pieces of luggage last year was because we did a very unconventional land tour prior to our cruise - camping in Denali NP. So I packed sleeping bag, two tents (one for me and one for two members of my family), camping stove, etc, etc. That suitcase never got on the cruise ship - sent it home early.

I can't imagine taking two full-size suitcases on a weeklong trip for one person! But to each his own!

Earlier this month I returned from a week in Europe where I had only a carry on and a personal item - no checked luggage at all. And I packed a combination of casual and business-casual attire (extra pair of shoes, dress slacks, collared shirts, etc). I am a guy and don't seem to pack as much as many women but still I am amazed at how much luggage some people can take.

John

Lay out all the clothes you think you will need going by the cruise lines genreal guide. Then take away 25% of that as you will only be bringing it back clean if you don't. You won't wear all those clothes in a weeks time.

You wear an outfit on Monday, wear it again on Friday. Wear it Tuesday wear again Sat. and so forth. You'll find you will wear the same clothes into town each time. If you are dressing to impress remember you will never see these people again in your lifetime! 2 big bags and 2 carryons will do most anyone that packs right.

I have often wished I could master the art of packing light, but somehow I just never do. For 2 people we'll have 3 - 30 inchers and a wheeled garment bag, plus our carry-ons. Sad to say, but if the airlines would let me take more I probably would.

We are mostly packed for our Alaska cruise leaving on the 27th.

We each have one wheeled duffle (med size) and are sharing a garment bag for evening wear. We have a wine shipper with our wine and one more duffle packed only with outdoor clothes and shoes. We will each carry a back pack.

We will use the laundry service on the ship to cut down on packing. Evening wear is mix and match excluding formal nights. DH has his tux and I have two matte jersey long dresses that pack easily and take up almost no room in the garment bag.

I think many people overpack for Alaska. Daytime clothes are easily worn more than once. I have three pairs of pants for daytime (cords and athletic pants as well a pair of jeans which might not make the trip), one fleece zip up shirt, three thin turtlenecks, one 3/4 sleeve Ts and one long sleeve T. One pair of silk long underwear, workout clothes and I am good to go.

For shoes, my running shoes (I pack my oldest pair and I leave them on the ship when we depart), one pair waterproof Rocket Dog rubber soled winter clogs, and three pairs for evening wear.

Ok, here's a question. I'll admit I haven't searched for this, so direct me if it's already been discussed ...

What do you wear on the plane to catch your cruise? In my case it will be 85 degrees when I leave and half that when I arrive. However, that's not why I ask. My husband is of the old school where you "dress up" to fly. I'm of the new school where you wear whatever is comfy!!

Ok, here's a question. I'll admit I haven't searched for this, so direct me if it's already been discussed ...

What do you wear on the plane to catch your cruise? In my case it will be 85 degrees when I leave and half that when I arrive. However, that's not why I ask. My husband is of the old school where you "dress up" to fly. I'm of the new school where you wear whatever is comfy!!

Yes, it is hot and humid here as well and we have a long day of flying for us with connection in Dallas. I plan to wear a nice pair of black knit yoga type pants with a short sleeve black T and cardigan and my heaviest pair of shoes (my Rocket Dogs win that award).

We are spending the night in Seattle so I will shower and change when we get there. To get on the ship, I plan to wear a khaki, white and coral Adidas outift I bought in San Diego last month. I will wear the same thing on the trip home.

We are mostly packed for our Alaska cruise leaving on the 27th.

We each have one wheeled duffle (med size) and are sharing a garment bag for evening wear. We have a wine shipper with our wine and one more duffle packed only with outdoor clothes and shoes. We will each carry a back pack.

We will use the laundry service on the ship to cut down on packing. Evening wear is mix and match excluding formal nights. DH has his tux and I have two matte jersey long dresses that pack easily and take up almost no room in the garment bag.

I think many people overpack for Alaska. Daytime clothes are easily worn more than once. I have three pairs of pants for daytime (cords and athletic pants as well a pair of jeans which might not make the trip), one fleece zip up shirt, three thin turtlenecks, one 3/4 sleeve Ts and one long sleeve T. One pair of silk long underwear, workout clothes and I am good to go.

For shoes, my running shoes (I pack my oldest pair and I leave them on the ship when we depart), one pair waterproof Rocket Dog rubber soled winter clogs, and three pairs for evening wear.

What!?...no short sleeve shirt(s)????What about if you get 80 degree weather?

I guess that's what all those t-shirt shops are for, right?:D Have fun and please post a review when you get back.

Go "New School"! I can't imagine dressing up on purpose to fly! Be comfy - the chairs are bad enough without uncomfortable clothes! Dress in layers...a short sleeve lightweight shirt and pants but bring a sweater in your carry-on - no big deal. You should try going from Canada to Florida in March! The day we left/arrived we saw a difference of over 40 degrees celcius! (-22 when we left and +25 in Florida).

What!?...no short sleeve shirt(s)????What about if you get 80 degree weather?

I guess that's what all those t-shirt shops are for, right?:D Have fun and please post a review when you get back.

No way we will have 80 degree in less than 2 weeks. The highs are around 60 daytime. In 6 trips, I have only once wore a short sleeve shirt in Alaska and it was the end of June. Capris only once as well.

Will definitely post a review when I return.:)

Archived