Demographics Between Cruiselines

ldparker

Reading through these boards, it seems that the various cruiselines generally attract a certian demographic or age group.

For example, from what I've read, the general age groups are:

Holland America is 70+, and a more sududed atmosphere

Celebrity is 50+, and also somewhat subduded

Princess and RCCL is more in the 40+ range and family oriented

Carnival is a younger group and very lively

In your experiences, is there any truth to this?

Thanks, David

I wouldn't put Holland at 70+, but they do have a slightly older demographic. I think you're right on with Celebrity. I would disagree with your age on RCCI. I would put them equal to Carnival as a family line with a wide span of ages. Also realize that age demographics vary greatly depending on time of year and type of cruise.

Reading through these boards, it seems that the various cruiselines generally attract a certian demographic or age group.

In your experiences, is there any truth to this?

Thanks, David

Princess in our experience is lively and fun loving.:cool: Isn't that what cruising is all about.:D Thank you for your insight and summary. Paul & Trudi in San Diego;)

Yes, David I think I aggree with your observation and the others here but with maybe a little tweeking here and there.

I wouldn't put Holland at 70+, but they do have a slightly older demographic. I think you're right on with Celebrity. I would disagree with your age on RCCI. I would put them equal to Carnival as a family line with a wide span of ages. Also realize that age demographics vary greatly depending on time of year and type of cruise.

I don't think I would put CCL and RCI as equals in any demographic. CCL seems to appeal to a much younger group overall than RCI. It is true that the Freedom class is built for families more so than the other RCI shilps. We'll see how that works out.

We always go RCCL, usually during Sep and there are very few children.

Like Jenni, we always go RCCL. We make it a point to meet & talk with other cruisers in ports. Except for spring break and other big school holidays we have never seen or heard of RCCL being over run with children. Seems like lots of children are the norm with CCL. We are totally RCI!

HAL, particularly the larger Vista ships, is a bit younger demographic. The Vistas are attracting families and generally younger cruisers. When we were on the Amsterdam last Fall for a Panama Canal cruise the demographic was more 50-70 with some younger folks, but few children as school was in session. The longer HAL cruises of 20 days plus attract an older demographic.

B.

Yes, David I think I aggree with your observation and the others here but with maybe a little tweeking here and there.

...we have never seen or heard of RCCL being over run with children. Seems like lots of children are the norm with CCL. We are totally RCI!

I prefer HAL (and am not close to 70) and Celebrity and have enjoyed Celebrity since my 30s. I have never liked Carnival, even when I was in my 20s.

It is not so much a matter of age but of personal taste. I like the traditional, more formal atmosphere and the less frenetic onboard ambiance as well as the food and service those lines offer. I also prefer a line that attracts passengers who still prefer dressing for dinner. I do not need constant activities, announcements or entertainment so HAL and X are just right for me.

I agree with Darcie that RCI is pretty close in demographics these days to Carnival and the lines blur more every year.

RCI used to be my line of choice til the ships started getting too big, dress codes were tossed out the window and there were far too many kids on my last 8 or so RCI cruises for my taste. They are a family line (confirmed by Richard Fain when he spoke to a group of TA's on the Liberty 2 weeks ago) and said consider themselves "the" cruise line for families.

We have been sailing Celebrity since our mid 30's, we're mid 40's now....What the demographic is: people who prefer a more traditional experience. There is no typical age range for any of them. I think HAL is more geared towards adults than families. I have sailed with/without children on Celebrity, Princess, CCL, NCL, RCI, etc....I don't think you can break it down into age ranges. ;)

Demographics change by length of cruise even on the same cruise line. Longer cruises--ten or more days usually have a much older demographic because except in summer most families with school age children cannot take them out of school that long.

Demographics also change at times of the year when children are most likely to be in school such as January or early November.

There is another demographic and that is nationality. Some ships or itineraries will have a larger precentage of non-North American passengers. Some have more European and some have a large percentage of South American passengers. On the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas pre-innaugural cruise, Tito Nieves, a very well know salsero from Miami and his fourteen peice orchestra played in Studio B and the dance floor was filled with appreciative Latinos dancing. We were told that this was in response to the popularity that cruising has attianed for the Latino community and that RCI is reaching out to them by providing more of the music and activities they enjoy. I would suspect that certain menu changes would follow too.

Carnival's average passenger age is mid 40's plus they sail more seniors than any other cruise line.

A 2006 Market Profile Study shows that the average cruiser is 49 years old with an average household income of $104,000.

Hello,

All of the respondents have provided you with excellent comments as to the demographics of cruise lines. After 17 cruises, on all of the majors, except for NCL, all have their strong points and not so good points but all will provide you with a nice cruise experience.

I have noted though that Celebrity seems to attract a more interesting mix of passengers, that is, many are still employed professionals, business owners, persons from the UK and other parts of Europe, and so on. HAL seems to have many more persons who are retired and this is not bad in any way, but I enjoy meeting people who are still working (I am semi retired). RCL and Princess attract a mix of families, retired, and still employed persons. Carnival is for younger people, most of whom are not particularly interested in the quality of service or food (and there is nothing wrong with this either).

For families though, the all purpose cruise lines are RCL and Princess as these lines have something for everyone.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Carnival is for younger people, most of whom are not particularly interested in the quality of service or food (and there is nothing wrong with this either).

As I wrote earlier, Carnival no longer caters to the younger crowd. As for the quality of their food, I am wondering when you last sailed Carnival and ate in their dining room. I have had clients (some very fussy) sail both Carnival and Royal Caribbean or Princess in the same year and their comment are always that they prefer the food on Carnival and I have to agree with them. I am not a young person having already gone north of 50 and I am very interested in the quality of service I receive and the food I eat.

As I wrote earlier, Carnival no longer caters to the younger crowd. As for the quality of their food, I am wondering when you last sailed Carnival and ate in their dining room. I have had clients (some very fussy) sail both Carnival and Royal Caribbean or Princess in the same year and their comment are always that they prefer the food on Carnival and I have to agree with them. I am not a young person having already gone north of 50 and I am very interested in the quality of service I receive and the food I eat.

My last Carnival cruise was 2 years ago, on the Glory. I found the food very heavy and salty and special requests were not accomodated as the food was already prepared. If you are a fast food, chain restaurant fan that perhaps Carnival food - and service - would be appealing. I found both mediocre.

My last Carnival cruise was 2 years ago, on the Glory. I found the food very heavy and salty and special requests were not accomodated as the food was already prepared. If you are a fast food, chain restaurant fan that perhaps Carnival food - and service - would be appealing. I found both mediocre.

I am hardly a fast food chain, restaurant person. I enjoy fine dining and fine wine. My teens have made special requests to the waiter and have never had problems. Like I said, I prefer the food on Carnival over the food on Royal Caribbean. RC's presentation may be a little better, but it has always been bland and that includes their desert selection.

I am hardly a fast food chain, restaurant person. I enjoy fine dining and fine wine. My teens have made special requests to the waiter and have never had problems. Like I said, I prefer the food on Carnival over the food on Royal Caribbean. RC's presentation may be a little better, but it has always been bland and that includes their desert selection.

Food is subjective:). When I asked for sauce to be left off, or to have something prepared without butter or salt, I was told that it was already prepared and could not be altered. RCI has always been accomodating. On Carnival, we repeated had to ask for water and coffee refills. Plus, the loud announcements and antics in the dining room was quite annoying.

IMO, their buffet food was very greasy and to find a healthy option a challenge.

Different strokes...

I have a problem with the dining rooms on Carnival..not that the food is not tasty..but I have a problem with the waiters dancing on the same table tops that I food is served from. I don't think this is too sanitary.

Hello,

I hope that I did not leave the impression that I think less of Carnival than other lines. Carnival does provide a nice cruise experience but an experience that is different than the other lines.

The point here is about demographics and Carnival does cater to a younger group of travelers than the other lines. Although I am 64 years old, I have a recent college graduate at home who is 22 years old. As he has been on three cruises he says that food and service are not major issues with him. So long as there is enough decent food and the service is reasonable he would have a great time on a Carnival cruise.

J, I hope that you continue to book lots of Carnival cruises.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Wow 70+??:eek: Have never sailed HAL so I can't really speak to this.

I HAVE sailed Celebrity...........and at age 53 two years ago, I was one of the youngest on the Infinity........by 9pm the ship was dead........

and food is subjective..........worst I ever had was on the Celebrity Infinity.........be careful.......a lot of hype IMO but very subjective......

RC IS getting younger and younger all the time.......will agree to that.......I am now one of the oldsters........but still think RC provides a good mix.......from mid 30's to 70's+.........but that is JMO as well.......:D

Recently sailed on Carnival (Elation) for the first time, not having great expectations- was pleasantly surprised by the food quality, service, comfort factor, and music. The food on the Elation was as good as Princess, which is our favorite line.

We will sail Carnival again.

Archived