Brilliance just okay.

Ephraim I did offer you some purple Mardi Gras beads and since I found the first Captain (Lindegren) aloof, I don't think you missed much.

I know, but I don't wear plastic. I only use it to buy!

BTW, maybe we should do dinner... if you two are ever in town, that is.

Okay, I have decided to give the Brilliance a second chance. Since I cancelled a Canal cruise on her in March, I will rebook . Donations towards this cause can be sent to CruiseCritic. Alas I was not looking for people to back me up, but the final score was : 2 including me, versus 4. Not a landslide. This was also the only ship I've been on that all other activities did not pause when the Captain was giving his daily briefing. If you were on the pool deck you couldn't hear it. I found out at trivia why we had been going 25 knots for 3 days. Enough said, let the thread die.

And we had a great time meeting you and hubby! And thank you for the notes about the other cruise deals... we even joined you for one of them :)

No one ever offers me a pink boa, never mind a chance to dance and sing with Captain Lindegren.

Hmmm, maybe you need to do the TA from Barcelona to Miami, in December, do you think????? I'll personally bring a pink boa and send you a copy of the "Captain Cutie" song.....

Of course, if we end up with Captain Petter, I'll just faint dead away and not be able to do anything but hyperventilate....:eek::D:D

Fran in Toronto

Ephraim I did offer you some purple Mardi Gras beads and since I found the first Captain (Lindegren) aloof, I don't think you missed much.

And before the Lindegren fan club chimes in, I will attribute the Captains behavior to having to sail an extra week at the last minute when he was finally supposed to be on vacation. I thought his unhappiness really showed, but at least I could understand why.

Lindegren doesn't have a fan club, at least not yet. Captain Petter does....:D:D But I am sure he had to do some real reorganising to stay on the extra six days, and was also probably worried about Marilyn, since she did need surgery in a hurry, and it wasn't possible to get her off the ship by helicopter. I wouldn't want to have to make that kind of decision, then steam like crazy and hope everything was OK. Felt sorry for him, actually.

We'll see on the December cruise whether he's aloof, or just shy.

Fran in Toronto

And we had a great time meeting you and hubby! And thank you for the notes about the other cruise deals... we even joined you for one of them :)

No one ever offers me a pink boa, never mind a chance to dance and sing with Captain Lindegren.

Ephraim, I would book the cruise and pay money to see that.

[/b][/color]

Ephraim, I would book the cruise and pay money to see that.

One night, Rich and Ellen (Florida) were dancing and I was so tempted to tap Ellen on the shoulder and cut in... just to see Rich's face when he realized it was Ellen that I was replacing... not him!

One night, Rich and Ellen (Florida) were dancing and I was so tempted to tap Ellen on the shoulder and cut in... just to see Rich's face when he realized it was Ellen that I was replacing... not him!

Would have paid money to see the look on Rich's face.

I would think that information like that should be kept on the bridge and only should concern the Captain and his staff. I certainly wouldn't want to know about any really bad weather while I'm at sea. What are you trying to start............mass panic.......where weather is concerned.

I can see it all now............Guest Relations being plummeted with calls because some pax saw some rather strange green spots on a channel on their TV!

It's bad enough when you see those awful blue bags all over the place. I think that should be enough warning that bad weather may be encountered.

This is what I was thinking. If I want to know the weather, I go out and check it. What it is going to be isn't going to change a thing since I am not in control of the ship.

I can't help but wonder if I'm the only person who wouldn't care if my cabin was missing the television. I don't remember ever turning it on (although DH has done so. :) )

Maybe due to life circumstances, some of us see things differently. Missed ports, canceled excursions, faulty plumbing - I've had these things. I never expected perfection. I'm still waiting for the table mates from hell...as of yet, they haven't appeared. Not even on Carnival. :D

We are well-travelled seniors, and are just happy we are healthy enough, and wealthy enough to be able to travel as much as we do...I can't get upset about too many things. Life is just too short, especially when you're rolling down the other side of the hill.....:D

Fran in Toronto

Hooray, I think this is it. My best friend died in her sleep at age 42. My mother died of complications 6 weeks after being hit by a car. My father has Alzheimer Disease but doesn't know the difference. I had melanoma that was found at the earliest possible stage and it was removed. Am I supposed to be bothered that the TV channels aren't to my liking or that I missed my M&M? I make a point of finding my roll call friends prior to that anyway. I'm grateful to wake up and to be able to afford to go on a cruise.

Here here...

Off topic slightly with a question to all you TA'ers...I'm thinking I might want to try one of these sometime...

My fear is that I will get 5 days into it and feel claustrophobic because I can't get off the ship. :eek: The thought makes me feel nearly in a panic here on land.

Does anyone ever feel that way?

Martha,

This was my exact fear before my first cruise. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to be trapped on a boat in the middle of the ocean. One cruise later, I was cured of that.

I have 2 TAs scheduled but haven't done one yet. I'm looking forward to both of them - well off into the distance as you can see by my count down clocks. Why don't you consider doing one of them with us if they work with your life schedule?

Gina

Martha,

This was my exact fear before my first cruise. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to be trapped on a boat in the middle of the ocean. One cruise later, I was cured of that.

I have 2 TAs scheduled but haven't done one yet. I'm looking forward to both of them - well off into the distance as you can see by my count down clocks. Why don't you consider doing one of them with us if they work with your life schedule?

Gina

Thanks for the invite - and I will definitely look at both of these too.. :)

The Bahamas route cruise on Sovereign didn't bother me at all...maybe the TA crossing wouldn't either.

Martha,

Gina

Hi Gina: I remember you from the Bury St Joseph thread - anyway, Yes, do go on the TA - it's wonderful !! I didn't think I would like it with so many days at sea - i like being at a port every day - but being at 5 ports then all those days at sea was great! we went on two TA's two yrs in a rwo - the Brilliance- and DH and I loved it. WE went from Barcelona to MIami both times and will probably try vice versa at a later cruise -

Fran-- aren't you the one starting the fan club for the handsome captain?

Carol

The new bedding is in place. Frankly I didn't like the comforter at all. It weighs a TON and by morning it could be found half way off the end of the bed...being so heavy gravity would just take over.

Thanx TheMoon!! will look forward to new bedding - we always ask our steward to just keep the bedspread off anyway - or is that what you are referring to as the comforter. Carol

This is what I was thinking. If I want to know the weather, I go out and check it. What it is going to be isn't going to change a thing since I am not in control of the ship.

I can't help but wonder if I'm the only person who wouldn't care if my cabin was missing the television. I don't remember ever turning it on (although DH has done so. :) )

Maybe due to life circumstances, some of us see things differently. Missed ports, canceled excursions, faulty plumbing - I've had these things. I never expected perfection. I'm still waiting for the table mates from hell...as of yet, they haven't appeared. Not even on Carnival. :D

We have had the tablemates from hell, and the sad part is that we invited them to join us. It was so bad that if we spotted them on the ship we went the opposite way. Thank goodness it was a Voyager class.:eek:

But even that did not stop us from enjoying ourselves. In fact the last night at dinner the waiter was so fed up with this person ( the spouse was an angel) he told her off . My friend Janet and I were practically rollng on the floor with laughter, we knew it was coming.:rolleyes:

Hi Gina: I remember you from the Bury St Joseph thread - anyway, Yes, do go on the TA - it's wonderful !! I didn't think I would like it with so many days at sea - i like being at a port every day - but being at 5 ports then all those days at sea was great! we went on two TA's two yrs in a rwo - the Brilliance- and DH and I loved it. WE went from Barcelona to MIami both times and will probably try vice versa at a later cruise -

Fran-- aren't you the one starting the fan club for the handsome captain?

Carol

That's me. Sigh. Too bad he's so young. Too bad I'm so old and married. But he sure is easy on the eyes, and I don't mind looking. :D:D:D

The Captain Petter (Petter is Better) Fan Club has been under way for awhile. We are just trying to find out a) where he will be and b) when. RCI is moving people around, so there's no point booking anything till we're sure. My co-president Maritenor1 and I will inaugurate the club once we know. Signing up?

We have done the Brilliance TA Miami to Barcelona, and it was fabulous. My DH teaches at university, and I am a pastor - we were both absolutely exhausted, and when we got on that ship last April, and had six marvellous sea days to start off, we got so well rested, tanned, fed. This December we are doing the Barcelona to Miami TA, also on Brilliance, and can hardly wait. I am fortunate to have a congregation which will let me go so close to Christmas. They just shrugged and said "Your vacation is your vacation."

DH is on sabbatical starting July (although given the stuff he has lined up it's hardly restful) and he's already saying "I can't wait for that cruise."

Fran in Toronto

Hooray, I think this is it. My best friend died in her sleep at age 42. My mother died of complications 6 weeks after being hit by a car. My father has Alzheimer Disease but doesn't know the difference. I had melanoma that was found at the earliest possible stage and it was removed. Am I supposed to be bothered that the TV channels aren't to my liking or that I missed my M&M? I make a point of finding my roll call friends prior to that anyway. I'm grateful to wake up and to be able to afford to go on a cruise.

Yes, yes and yes. Our roll call is wearing pink boas for the women, and we're having Tshirts made.....I plan to check to be sure the M&M is going to happen - as we have a couple of songs to sing for the Captain and crew....(and the talent contest)....taking some Filipino specialties for the chef who cooked us noodles on request, and Christmas gift bags for the cabin staff and wait staff.

Six months is too long to wait........

Funny thing, too - I never thought there was anything wrong with the old beds on Brilliance...we sure had no trouble sleeping. :D:D

Fran in Toronto

Hi Fran:

We were in the Brilliance on Nov 2006 - yes, the Captain is a Doll!!!

We met a lovely young lady who is a minister on this cruise, she was on the roll call and M & M - from No. Carolina!! love her to death! she was traveling solo cuz her DH had broken his hip =

I loved that cruise! so many lovely people we met -... we want to do the TA going from Miami to Barcelona now - someday - I think next cruise may be Alaska.

Carol

Yes, yes and yes. Our roll call is wearing pink boas for the women, and we're having Tshirts made.....I plan to check to be sure the M&M is going to happen - as we have a couple of songs to sing for the Captain and crew....(and the talent contest)....taking some Filipino specialties for the chef who cooked us noodles on request, and Christmas gift bags for the cabin staff and wait staff.

Six months is too long to wait........

Funny thing, too - I never thought there was anything wrong with the old beds on Brilliance...we sure had no trouble sleeping. :D:D

Fran in Toronto

Hi Fran again; I am Filipino and I will be making some noodles tomorrow!! ha !ha! what a coincidence!! altho' there are different types of Filipino noodles! Carol

We have had the tablemates from hell, and the sad part is that we invited them to join us. It was so bad that if we spotted them on the ship we went the opposite way. Thank goodness it was a Voyager class.:eek:

But even that did not stop us from enjoying ourselves. In fact the last night at dinner the waiter was so fed up with this person ( the spouse was an angel) he told her off . My friend Janet and I were practically rollng on the floor with laughter, we knew it was coming.:rolleyes:

WE have been lucky re: Tablemates but last NOv we had one person who was a strange-O ... she was like 85 and told us she was 65 -- and boy! talk about DramaQueen!! our servers/head waiter couldn't make her happy! she stiffed them at the end - oh well -- Carol

Gosh!! I won't shush will I?? hA ha! anyway, Fran, if you go to the Champagne bar, and if Rusty and Eric are still there, tell them Narce and Carol are saying howdy - or Kamusta - that's in Filipino, pronouced

Kamoosta -- ... and also Sonia is a server in the dining room - a lovely Indian gal who emails us regularly - she and her head waiter served us Indian food everyday in addition to the regular faire on the menu - we love Indian food. Carol

Hi Fran:

We were in the Brilliance on Nov 2006 - yes, the Captain is a Doll!!!

We met a lovely young lady who is a minister on this cruise, she was on the roll call and M & M - from No. Carolina!! love her to death! she was traveling solo cuz her DH had broken his hip =

I loved that cruise! so many lovely people we met -... we want to do the TA going from Miami to Barcelona now - someday - I think next cruise may be Alaska.

Carol

Isn't he a sweetie? Good sense of humour too.

We sailed April 2006.....loved the ship, food, ocean. Some of the shows were less inspiring than others, some of the food was not always perfect, but where else can you get room, food and entertainment for around $100 a day, and see all those places as well?

I know the person you're talking about, she and I correspond quite often. Her husband is doing relatively well and they are off this week on a short trip. She posts under the name ILoveScotland....you'll find her more often in the Floataway Lounge.

Fran in Toronto

Hi Fran again; I am Filipino and I will be making some noodles tomorrow!! ha !ha! what a coincidence!! altho' there are different types of Filipino noodles! Carol

Hi, Carol -

Our daughter in law is Filipina, so we have found more food we love to eat....

I jokingly asked the chef in the Windjammer if he could make pancit (my favourite), and the very next day it was there. So then I asked if he could do palabok (joking), or halo-halo. He laughed and laughed. So I thought this time I'd take along some yam cakes and stuff...

There's a Filipino take-out place near us in Toronto which makes incredible food. When the weather is a little warmer I'm going to go get halo-halo. Love it :D:D

Fran

Gosh!! I won't shush will I?? hA ha! anyway, Fran, if you go to the Champagne bar, and if Rusty and Eric are still there, tell them Narce and Carol are saying howdy - or Kamusta - that's in Filipino, pronouced

Kamoosta -- ... and also Sonia is a server in the dining room - a lovely Indian gal who emails us regularly - she and her head waiter served us Indian food everyday in addition to the regular faire on the menu - we love Indian food. Carol

Yep, that's actually one of the few words I know.....kamusta.....

I plan to go to the Champagne Bar and get a Kir Royale, so I will look for Rusty and Eric. We had some good conversations with Anselmo Boles in the Schooner Bar.....and hope we get to see him again, although he isn't on Brilliance right now. He was so good, and so much fun.

Indian food did you say????? Sonia???? Tell her to look for us, or we'll look for her, or both. I do love Indian food.....well, we both do....

Fran in Toronto

Fran: I wrote this entire post out and it disappeared!!

anyway, here's my email addy - anyone can write me ! esp fellow cruisers so I don't mind writing it out here:

carfieldtnepo@comcast.net

What a truly mini mini small small world this is!! esp about Beth!! she is a sweetie and you will love her! I think she is on the Coast this week.

CAROL

Archived