How long has cc been around?

Oh yes, AOL. I used to lurk around the old AOL forum. I joined AOL back in 1995 and found the old board (and I still have my original AOL screenname, it's my cruise critic screenname .. rare huh?) but lost touch for a long time until I found this board back in early 2005. Glad I did!

I found CC last year prior to our first cruise while searching for reviews of Mariner. So many nice and helpful people, and lots of valuable information. I spend lots of time here, but nobody cares since I've gotten refunds! :D

I too lost many posts in the conversion and also had to think up a new screen name....We have met so many helpful, wonderful folks on these boards both by posting and in person and made lifelong friends along the way...Later, Jill:cool:

I've been on here since the late 90's when it was part of AOL and Anne Campbell was the head honcho. She has since left and gone to a competing website but I'm not sure if she is there anymore?

I've have just over 1800 posts since 2000. That's about 21 posts a month.

Ernie

Cruise Critic was going strong in 2000 when I originally joined but there was a change somewhere in 2001ish? where many lost all their credits for post. Some were able to get their numbers back and others had their counter reset. I was one of those that lost a few but not nearly as many post as some did.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Oh that's what happened!!! :o I remember CC back in the late 90's also.I was wondering why I couldn't get back on until I wrote to one of the moderators. I hadn't cruised for awhile so was not active on the boards until recentkly again. Well, that explains it!!

I'm enjoying reading this topic! We got our 1st computer in the Spring of 2000. We had our 3rd cruise booked, & I must have done a search on cruising once I figured out how to use the computer. I ended up at C.C. Back then they didn't have the Roll Call sections like they do now. If you wanted to find others going on your cruise, you asked in the cruiseline's threads. I did find a "Roll Call" for our cruise. I ended up Emailing one of the girls from our cruise. It's hard to explain the excitement I felt when I got to finally meet her. It all happened, because I had found C.C. We still Email each other.

There have been many changes over the years. I'm enjoying seeing who else registered in 2000. I do recognize some of you! I also lost my post count at one of the changes & gave myself a new name at a later time. I was able to keep my original resgistration date for some reason.

I look forward to see who else will be posting on here!!

Gail

I have been on Cruise Critic since at least 2000. Cannot remember when it began. My sign in does not reflect all the time I have been on it because I changed my information and it started from that date not my original date.

CruiseCritic has been a fun and informative site for us. We have met many friends through the Roll Call and even on the regular cruise borard.

Anytime I book a cruise the first thing I do is go to Cruisecritic. Check out infor about the cruiseline and then checkwho is on the Roll Call.

I also check the board when I get the urge to think about another cruise.

Leona

I also started in the beginning when AOL bought out PC link and started the Cruise Critic section in their on-line service. It was exclusively AOL only back then. When they switched to the web in 2000 I lost my sign on and all my posts. I haven't been able to cruise in the past years so I did not re-join until this past February. I guess you can call me a lurker... I read the threads more than actually posting, so the actual number of posts aren't really that important to me. I participate in our roll call forum more so than the other forums available. I have really learned so much from all of the CC'ers here. It's a great board, everyone is so willing to help each other! :)

Gail

I don't remember when I joined... I do know it was prior to our Rhapsody cruise.

At first, I didn't post much... I really didn't think I had much information to offer. Then, after our Rhapsody cruise, I started answering more and more. I found my safe area in roll calls with certain questions, but after a while on the boards, my shyness has worn off. LOL. Can you imagine me being shy? LOL

I have found a lot of useful tips and tricks on the boards. I hope someday, one of my posts will answer another person's questions. It's kind of like the circle of life!

D :)

I stumbled accross the boards back in 2005 prior to my first rccl cruise. I have to say that I learned so much from the people on these boards that you would have thought I had been cruising for years. Dh is still amazed at how much I know about cruising even though we have only been on two. All I can say is "gotta love the boards!!":)

We went to the "web" in early 2000.

Laura

Laura . We are on The Norwegian Jewel's sailing from Athens May 31 07 . We have a rollcall & have appox 40 people for a Meet & Greet , I have suggested we meet June 1 at 3:30 P M in the Spinnaker Lounge. is it possibel that you could help me get a message to the Cruise Director for help regarding this , I will be leaving for Athens Wednesday May 22. but there is a guy Jefari on the rollcall who I have asked to carry on taking names . my e-mail is http://www.margaret_hinkle@yahoo.com .

Jean.

I've been an AOL subscriber forever, and a member of CC since 2000, but I can't remember how I joined. However, I do have murky memories of an earlier version of the board, so maybe I was there under another screen name. So many boards, so many names, who can remember them all? :confused:

With less than 200 posts in 6 years, I would have to say that I read at least 1,000 times more than I type because I check these boards several times a week. Just because I have only 2 eyes but 10 fingers, I don't feel compelled to use them proportionately. :D

• 10 months later...
I also started in the beginning when AOL bought out PC link and started the Cruise Critic section in their on-line service. It was exclusively AOL only back then. When they switched to the web in 2000 I lost my sign on and all my posts. I haven't been able to cruise in the past years so I did not re-join until this past February. I guess you can call me a lurker... I read the threads more than actually posting, so the actual number of posts aren't really that important to me. I participate in our roll call forum more so than the other forums available. I have really learned so much from all of the CC'ers here. It's a great board, everyone is so willing to help each other! :)

Gail

Oh this is so cool to see! A new cruise friend (aka Gail) sent me this thread as I was telling her how I was on Cruise Critic since the beginning and it was just a little message board.

Of course my name wasn't this name it was my aol screen name, which is what I am still logging under. I think I joined AOL in 1995 or early 1996.

Love CC!

So anyway, hi!:D

I've been reading the boards here for a while, and have learned so much. I especially love the ports of call boards- great information, and helps us tremendously with the planning. We had some really great excursions last month because of the recommendations here. Coming to this site has become part of my nightly ritual.

Another early adopter here! I joined before our first cruise for our 20th anniversary and gained loads of great information.

My post count is low, because I too, lurk and learn. I do chime in once and a while, but do not belong to chat. I have added a few reviews over the years and now am a Diamond Member of Crown & Anchor and am so blessed to be able to cruise twice a year. My lack of posts in no way minimizes my cruise experience, nor truly indicates how often I check in.

Many belong for all sorts of reasons, and for some it's a great social outlet, but all of us do share one common bond, our love of cruising.

I will always be grateful for Cruise Critic for making my cruise experiences so much more enjoyable!

I only found CC last year. I have had a computer for a much longer period and have been cruising since 1976. Ever since I found it, it has been a revelation. It has been a great tool in planning my current cruise and a vast resource for information to use in planning my cruise. The people I have met on the site are great to say the least. My only regret is that I wish I could have found it much sooner. Not so I could have more posts, just so I could have used the vast knowledge of the members in planning some of my other cruises. Good Sailing, Murf.

I used to belong when it was on aol starting back in 1995. But then I got rid of aol, and forgot totally what name I used to post under. Then I rejoined.

So it's been a lot of years, but I don't post a lot. Some days I do, but it's like maybe 10 posts on those days.

I also used to have another username when I first joined years ago. And I also couldn't sign back on with it. But then even before CC started here on the web, I used to go to the old AOL boards "Cruise Critics".

I used to post under another name back in 2002 but then the boards changed and I couldn't log in anymore (not to mention I forgot that other name...lol)

So I rejoined last year. :D

I originally visited Cruise Critic on AOL around 1996 or '97 soon after we got on the internet. I know I was SailAway...SailAway... (or something like that.) I was also CruisinInTheCruz. But I forgot passwords or something, because I had to make up a new username awhile back.

Hi Kathy,

The Cruise Critic board has been around since 1995.......and there might be people that 'go back' that far but still do not have many posts, either because of not posting, losing the count number when changes were done to this board. or whatever other reasons......on the other hand some people that just joined few monts ago got already thousands of posts posted.

I, personally prefer posts that actually deal with cruising and ask or provide constructive and informative answers connected in some way with cruising.

So perhaps your "400 posts" mean a lot more than the 5 or more thousands of posts of others.

I do not consider whatever number of posts credited to a CC member to be important nor am I impress by them .

After reading many of the posts I find some posters with large number of posts to be very knowledgable, very dedicated to this board and helpful to others but at the same time some posters just with small number of posts provide good information.......on the other hand there are thousands and thousands of posts that I have not read...or find them of no interest or value for me......but others might find them useful.

Wes

I joined in 2003 and wish I knew about this sight earlier. My cruises and shore excursions have been so much better with the people I meet on cc and their suggestions. However, we don't cruise 3 times a year like many of these people. I tend only to be on CC when I am planning a cruise and shortly after a cruise is over. I don't usually post when I am not thinking of a cruise.

Archived