Beware of extra charges!

BLONDIE35

we just got back form our awesome vacation to Alaska on the NCL Star!!!

we had NO rain if you can believe that!! I just wanted to make everyone aware of some extra charges that NCL had put on our final bill for the cuise so that other cruisers can keep an eye on these things. On the ship you can buy what is known as a helmet of beer, a football helmet filled with six beers and ice. When you purchase this you get it for the price of 5 beers as well as a $5.00 fee for the helmet. The $5.00 is suppsoed to be refunded to you upon return of the helmet.... please beware that on our cruise this fee was not credited to our account 75% of the time! we had to go to the front dest on disembarkation day to get all of our refunds! so please keep an eye out for this! I wonder how many people overlook this on thier final bill and end up paying a whole lot of extra$$$!

Also, we were charged for items in our minibar that were never drank unsure why but we had to cough up the cash for it because our room steward couldn't be found to question the charges. We did enjoy our cruise but beware of all of the EXTRA push to buy buy buy buy alcohol!

I have never been so pressed to buy a drink before!

Does NCL do like some of the other lines in removing all items from your refrid. on the first day so you don't get charged? You ask your steward to please remove them. This has always worked for us and then we have plenty of space for "our" stuff that needs to be chilled.

Does NCL do like some of the other lines in removing all items from your refrid. on the first day so you don't get charged? You ask your steward to please remove them. This has always worked for us and then we have plenty of space for "our" stuff that needs to be chilled.

Yes. On my last Dawn cruise, I asked the steward on the first day to empty the fridge. No problem whatsoever.

They will do that. But then you wouldn't have the $2.50 bag of M&M's:eek: !

There was no helmet "fee" on the Jewell Transatlantic. They also had a happy hour everyday where drinks were buy one get one free. I refilled my helmet then since I got 6 beers for the price of 3. This was a great special.

My guy on the cruise, Gilbert, forgot to charge me the $5 deposit on the helmet so he asked that I return it only to him on the last day. He just refilled the same helmet all of the time. End of ruise, no $5 charge.

I was on NCL Jewel last Nov. with a group of 15. Most of us were charged $10.95 for use of the mini bar. None of us used the mini-bar. I knew this for sure. We had enough of our own that we didn't need the mini-bar. It was too much of a hassle to argue about it on the last morning, so all of us paid for it. Another thing that ticked me off was that we all had a bright yellow card displayed in the room upon embarkation that stated we had an on-board credit of $50 for being part of "Debbie's Group" (our travel agent). We had 2 AB penthouses, 2 mini suites, 1 romance suite, and 1 owner's suite. None of us got did credited for it in the end. NCL's comment was that it was never registered. I asked, "Well, who printed my name and put my travel agent's name on bright yellow card and placed it in my room if it wasn't registered??" We never got the credit.:mad:

I just complained, but I will be back for more free style cruising. I am going back with a smaller group(9), but this time we have to downgrade to mini-suites:( . The prices have doubled from last year. I thought I signed up already for the CC roll call. I think I posted at least.:rolleyes:

What I am really excited about is the upcoming Azamara Jewel. I have been on 6 X cruises. Last was in 03. I am looking forward to something new.

we had NO rain if you can believe that!! I just wanted to make everyone aware of some extra charges that NCL had put on our final bill for the cuise so that other cruisers can keep an eye on these things. On the ship you can buy what is known as a helmet of beer, a football helmet filled with six beers and ice. When you purchase this you get it for the price of 5 beers as well as a $5.00 fee for the helmet. The $5.00 is suppsoed to be refunded to you upon return of the helmet.... please beware that on our cruise this fee was not credited to our account 75% of the time! we had to go to the front dest on disembarkation day to get all of our refunds! so please keep an eye out for this! I wonder how many people overlook this on thier final bill and end up paying a whole lot of extra$$$!

Also, we were charged for items in our minibar that were never drank unsure why but we had to cough up the cash for it because our room steward couldn't be found to question the charges. We did enjoy our cruise but beware of all of the EXTRA push to buy buy buy buy alcohol!

we just got off a 15 day TA, and i cant disagree more. our $2,700.00 tab was exact!! no "mistakes". we were not hounded at all. the pool guy may have passed and asked once, but after that first pass he never asked again. we actually had to get up and go the bar to get service. we used items from the mini bar , and only the items we used were added to the bill. that seems more like a housekeeping issue. she/he may have counted or looked wrong.

I was on NCL Jewel last Nov. with a group of 15. Most of us were charged $10.95 for use of the mini bar. None of us used the mini-bar. I knew this for sure. We had enough of our own that we didn't need the mini-bar. It was too much of a hassle to argue about it on the last morning, so all of us paid for it. Another thing that ticked me off was that we all had a bright yellow card displayed in the room upon embarkation that stated we had an on-board credit of $50 for being part of "Debbie's Group" (our travel agent). We had 2 AB penthouses, 2 mini suites, 1 romance suite, and 1 owner's suite. None of us got did credited for it in the end. NCL's comment was that it was never registered. I asked, "Well, who printed my name and put my travel agent's name on bright yellow card and placed it in my room if it wasn't registered??" We never got the credit.:mad:

I believe that since you utilized the services of a TA...he/she should have settled this...not you or NCL!

TA handled your booking...not NCL:)

I believe that since you utilized the services of a TA...he/she should have settled this...not you or NCL!

TA handled your booking...not NCL:)

I'm surprised people even use TA for cruises anymore. Its so much easier handling everything on your own. Uh ohh, hope I didnt just p*** off all the TA on here now.

can you imagine the red ink if they didn't overcharge a lot of you guys?

Bill

Thanks for the warning. NMNita

I'm surprised people even use TA for cruises anymore. Its so much easier handling everything on your own. Uh ohh, hope I didnt just p*** off all the TA on here now.

I agree...cruises are so easy to handle on your own.

I have nothing against TA, we just seem to always hit a "glitch" when we use them. Have never used them for a cruise..but some airline/hotel disasters when we did use them.

Wouldn't "Debbie's group" the TA be responsible to take care of the OBC when they returned from their cruise:eek:

I agree...cruises are so easy to handle on your own.

I have nothing against TA, we just seem to always hit a "glitch" when we use them. Have never used them for a cruise..but some airline/hotel disasters when we did use them.

Wouldn't "Debbie's group" the TA be responsible to take care of the OBC when they returned from their cruise:eek:

when you get an OBC (onboard credit) wouldn't you actually get it while onboard? Granted I don't know the ins and outs of how NCL operates. Is this something they do with groups? Give you the credit after the cruise?

Bill

when you get an OBC (onboard credit) wouldn't you actually get it while onboard? Granted I don't know the ins and outs of how NCL operates. Is this something they do with groups? Give you the credit after the cruise?

Bill

Yes, I believe it would be on your account when you receive your bill, on the ship.

My point was...if.."Debbies group" offered the OBC and confirmed with a "card" in the cabin....and it was NOT received....shouldn't Debbie be checking this out?

If Debbie offered it to the group..it is her responsibility to make sure it was done. NCL has nothing to do with a TA deal with a passenger/client.

we had a form we had to fill out for our OBC from our TA. once we filled it out and handed it in...it showed up against our charges on the ship's bill.

the form was on our bed the 1st day, we got the card (also) but had to sign the form and hand it to our room steward or at the purser's desk.

then we went over to my FIL's room and made sure he signed his form and we turned it in for him.

Yes, I believe it would be on your account when you receive your bill, on the ship.

My point was...if.."Debbies group" offered the OBC and confirmed with a "card" in the cabin....and it was NOT received....shouldn't Debbie be checking this out?

If Debbie offered it to the group..it is her responsibility to make sure it was done. NCL has nothing to do with a TA deal with a passenger/client.

Thanks for the clarification.:)

Bill

we had a form we had to fill out for our OBC from our TA. once we filled it out and handed it in...it showed up against our charges on the ship's bill.

the form was on our bed the 1st day, we got the card (also) but had to sign the form and hand it to our room steward or at the purser's desk.

then we went over to my FIL's room and made sure he signed his form and we turned it in for him.

Makes sense:)

Okay, I'm stuck on the beer helmet. What is this? Is it like that thing you see people wear at ball games? I'm not a drinker, so I am amazed that anyone could consume that much alcohol.

I'm heading to Alaska in July and will be watching the extras and have the steward empty the fridge first thing. Thanks for the heads-up and the tip.

Ghia, A beer helmet is a promotion where you buy 5 beers (bottles or cans) and you get the 6th one free. You get the beers all at once in a helmet (or on our Dawn cruise, a bucket). It makes it easy to carry around or bring back to your cabin if you don't finish them all at once. ... :p

We've only had a problem once with our bill when the dining room server spilled a tray of food on me and I received a voucher to get my clothes cleaned. Of course I was charged for this service and had to wait on line the last day to dispute the charge. Quite complicated even though I dug the receipt out of the garbage for proof... it's the principle...

Our OBCs have always shown up on our bill a few days into the cruise.

We just booked the Jewel and the NCL Spring Promotion was a$180.00 onboard creidt for us booking a minsuite for four people. Will that be on my account automatically when I get on the ship?

We just booked the Jewel and the NCL Spring Promotion was a$180.00 onboard creidt for us booking a minsuite for four people. Will that be on my account automatically when I get on the ship?

On the Pride of Aloha, we had cards waiting for us in the room telling us about our onboard credits. When I checked my account towards the end of the cruise, the credits had posted -- no problem.

Some cruisers have complained that they didn't get the credits and weren't able to resolve the issue after leaving the ship. If you have something in writing confirming the credit, bring it with you just in case.

On the Pride of Aloha, we had cards waiting for us in the room telling us about our onboard credits. When I checked my account towards the end of the cruise, the credits had posted -- no problem.

Some cruisers have complained that they didn't get the credits and weren't able to resolve the issue after leaving the ship. If you have something in writing confirming the credit, bring it with you just in case.

While most people post about how great the NCL ships are there seems to be a big void between the ships and the offices on shore. It's like they don't communicate.

Like the OP who started this thread said they had the card in their room too and they still couldn't get the credit. It seems if someone from NCL printed the card then it should be in the system somewhere, but somehow they never got the credit.

Seems like NCL makes you jump through more hoops than any other cruiseline to get what is rightfully yours.

Bill

Archived