Free Shuttle to Beaches in Port

patnjohn

I don't recall ever seeing a free shuttle to any beaches from any of the ships. We sailed fourteen days on Ryndam last April throughout the Caribbean and I never heard of any free beach shuttles but what a great idea!! Many of us would definitely love that.

I'm sure in some islands there would be problems with taxi drivers/tour companies who would object to us getting free rides around their island.

I wish they had such a thing. Would be wonderful but I've never seen or heard of it.

There have been times we avoided going to the beach as we weren't sure we could trust being able to get a taxi back. We would have been thrilled to pay for a ship's shuttle just for the peace of mind to enjoy our day at the beach and know we'd have a ride home.

"Free" shuttles would mean that the majority of pax would be paying for the minority that use it. Like most shipboard "extras", those who use it should pay. In several European ports we paid $3 to $5 (each way) for HAL shuttles to "downtown", and that would be the way to go for beach shuttles IMO.

Works GREAT for me to pay for the shuttle. I'd be happy if they offered a shuttle from ship to beach and back. I'd have no problem paying a 'fare' to use it.

But,

I do object to the philosophy that something shouldn't be offered because some people won't/don't use it.

I don't eat sushi, so should they not offer it?

I don't go to many shows and have never once gone to a movie on a ship? Why should I pay my share toward them? I don't go to the Chocolate Extravaganza. I don't drink the lemonade when it is offered on deck.

Etc Etc Etc

Please let's avoid a flame war re "majority paying for minority" --

I too have never been aware of a free shuttle - or even a $3 -5 shuttle -- to a beach or to a downtown area. Think offering such for a beach would be great & really the same basic concept of offereing shuttles to European downtown areas.

It's not just the fear of not getting back to the ship on time; for me as a solo, it's also a safety concern -- traveling alone in a taxi in a foreign port is somewhat higher on my risk-o-meter than doing a taxi in NYC. Probably shouldn't be, but it is on both driver & operational safety levels.

Why don't we write in this suggestion on our end-of-cruise comment cards? Maybe the concept would catch on. As far as the native taxis are concerned, there will always be those couples or groups which prefer the independence or freedom of not doing a ship's shuttle.

On the April 12th sailing of the Ryndam there was a free shuttle offered in Topolobampo to a beach although we missed it. Also a free shuttle to Los Mochis which was a half hour ride. In La Paz there was a free shuttle into town. It was a 20 minute ride. All these were offered by the port, not the ship.

On the April 12th sailing of the Ryndam there was a free shuttle offered in Topolobampo to a beach although we missed it. Also a free shuttle to Los Mochis which was a half hour ride. In La Paz there was a free shuttle into town. It was a 20 minute ride. All these were offered by the port, not the ship.

I have seen free shuttles into towns. The best was in Estonia. These are sponsored by the local equivelent of the chamber of comerce.

Someone said there were free shuttles to beaches while in port while they were on the Ryndam. Is that true with all ships?

The only free shuttles I've ever seen were to shopping venues ... like Hilo Hatties or Walmart in Hawaii. I doubt you'd get a free shuttle to a beach. A taxi would be your best bet.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You are right - I had forgotten about the free shuttle in La Paz to go into town. The first time we were there, there was a charge to go into town. The next time we were there it was free.

When we were in Topolobampo - no free shuttle to anywhere.

Always free shuttles to Hilo Hatties in Hawaii -- we used them a couple of times.

Thanks for all your replies. Makes sense that the port and not the ship would have the free shuttles. As mentioned, it would be a nice feature, especially for solo travelers. I am going to the beaches either way. I don't mind the taxi's or their fares, but free is always nice.

We would not, as we both dislike travelling in a pack and on a schedule.
Usually they run continuously all day, every half hour or so. I've been on them with as few as 3 people. :)

We traveled on a free "trolley" in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico in 2006!

Read about the tip right here on Cruise Critic Boards. Walked about a block from the dock to the first trolley stop & rode it along with the locals all the way to the Spanish Fort at El Morro. Beautiful views from the National Park

and short walk to a nice beach.

I sure would love it if they'd have them, though!!!! And they wouldn't have to be free ... I'd be happy to pay.

Sometimes they have "tours" that include 45 minutes to an hour at the beach, but you have to do a bunch of other stupid stuff that we have no interest in at all.

Since we're been to so many of these islands and know them so well, I'd really enjoy a beach shuttle on the islands in the Caribbean. I seem to recall when we first started cruising in the early 80's, they did offer very reasonable "tours" that just went to the beach.

All I can guess is that it doesn't make enough mone for the cruise lines or they would do it:) .

Archived