High Tea

Solo Cruiser

Do HAL ships serve tea every afternoon? Around what time and where is this usually done because god forbid I miss an opportunity to eat :D . Seriously, this was one of my great treats while sailing Princess and I'm hoping it's a custom on the Westerdam.

It wouldn't be "High tea"..that is a working man's "tea" (We would call it

supper).Usually a knife and fork meal of beans on toast or bangers etc.

The "tea" served aboard is the more refined "afternoon tea"....with small

sandwiches,scones with jam and cream,tiny cakes and a good cup of tea,

should really be served from a low table as opposed to the dining room table

for high tea.

I was really looking forward to the afternoon tea on HAL, but after the first time, we didn't go back. There were too many people and not enough servers. Maybe we were just spoiled by afternoon tea on Cunard :D

On longer cruises they sometimes have Royal Dutch Tea, Indonesian Tea, and/or Viennese Tea. The 3 mentioned teas are held in the main dining room. The regular daily teas are held in the dining room or the Explorers Lounge - varies the ships. One time it was held in the Crow's Nest!!

The daily tea is held around 3:15 or maybe 3:45; be sure to check the time in the daily schedule in the Explorer's Lounge. It can get crowded and there are usually only a few server's each day. I found that if I grabbed a book and went down to the lounge 10 minutes early. I could take a seat while they set everything up and then be one of the first served. there are alot of people who drop in after it starts and that makes for confusion which the servers can't handle very well. Also the first time they bring something around like the sandwiches, get all you want there may not be a second chance. The whole service is usually only 30minutes to 45 minutes; so don't count on lots of trips from the few servers if there are alot of attendees. Keeping those two things (come early and get what you want the first time) in mind I had a great time at the tea!

the tea in the dining room was organized differently. there is a queue to get into the dining room that passes the tables setup with many items some of which are self serve and others are served to you. The line can take awhile. so here I think the best thing to do is arrive 15 minutes late when the line is short. the tea is served once you are seated.

In both places they serve brewed tea (my favorite), tea bags, and coffee. I am sure each ship will do it a little differently; this was my experience on the Volendam.

Enjoy!

I appreciate all the responses and the education about the differences in teas. Sounds like a good time with 2 rules: arrive early, get what you want on the first service. One more thing to add to my growing list of notes about this upcoming cruise.

Archived