Paying for checked Luggage...

Grtcdnwolf

New Policy from Spirit Airlines... I wonder if all others will follow suit...

Effective June 20, 2007 the following rules will apply to all customers:

NOTE: Option to purchase checked bags online through spiritair.com (web option) will be available in early June.

For 1st Bag – $5 USD Web/ $10 USD Airport

This a new trend of "low cost" airlines. It allows them to keep offering the $59 one way special fares. Because then they tack on taxes, fees, checked bag cost and before you know they will start charging you for drinks on the planes. I don't think you will see the major carriers doing this anytime soon (Delta, American, US Airways)

They charged us for checked luggage when i flew Allegiant Air a few months ago. You were also charged for food/beverages on the plane if you chose to order (they had a menu like a restaurant would.) That said, I'd fly them again in a heartbeat if they had better schedules - the service was soooo much better than any of the major airlines I've been on in the last few years. But with $49 fares to FL compared to what's normally hundreds for us I'll pay a few bucks to check a bag.

They charged us for checked luggage when i flew Allegiant Air a few months ago. You were also charged for food/beverages on the plane if you chose to order (they had a menu like a restaurant would.) That said, I'd fly them again in a heartbeat if they had better schedules - the service was soooo much better than any of the major airlines I've been on in the last few years. But with $49 fares to FL compared to what's normally hundreds for us I'll pay a few bucks to check a bag.

We bought tickets on Allegiant for our up coming cruise and it was 830.40 for 8 people round trip.. here is a break down of all the extra fees

airfare 580.48

federal taxes 43.52

segment fees 54.40

pfc 16.00

911 security 40.00

convenience fee 60.00

prepaid bags 36.00

total 830.40

first time I actually looked at it. What exactly is segment fees and pfc? Oh well still a great price... bout 104.00 round trip per person.

Tom

American Airlines had a sign for $2 to check bags at the curb, what's the difference?

I haven't flown AA in awhile, but I can't believe they actually quoted a price to check your bags at the curb. I don't doubt what you are saying, I just find it extremely tacky for a full service airline. We have recently flown Delta and Southwest and on both it was a customer convenience, with an expected gratuity, but no specific amount was mentioned.

I haven't flown AA in awhile, but I can't believe they actually quoted a price to check your bags at the curb. We have recently flown Delta and Southwest and on both it was a customer convenience, with an expected gratuity, but no specific amount was mentioned.

We saw this also when we returned to El Paso airport a few weeks ago. If you have an e-ticket and prrinted your boarding pass, it will be faster to check the bag in at the curb. There was still no fee at the main desk to check bags in. We flew Delta and they weren't charging to check bags at the curb in El Paso. :)

The $2.00 that AA is charging is just a fee to check your bags at the cub. They've been doing it for a couple of years now and I'm not sure but I think it may be all airlines charging to use sky cap services. Here's what I am wondering tho. Are the skycaps employed by the airlines or are they contracted out like the porters are at the port? Who is getting the $2.00/bag? Is it the airlines or is it the company that employs the skycaps (if they are not employed by the airlines)?

We saw this also when we returned to El Paso airport a few weeks ago. If you have an e-ticket and prrinted your boarding pass, it will be faster to check the bag in at the curb. There was still no fee at the main desk to check bags in. We flew Delta and they weren't charging to check bags at the curb in El Paso. :)

You don't even need to have your boarding pass or itinerary printed. I didn't have access to a printer when I returned home on AA from a ski trip in March. All the skycap needed to check my bags was my ID.

We bought tickets on Allegiant for our up coming cruise and it was 830.40 for 8 people round trip.. here is a break down of all the extra fees

airfare 580.48

federal taxes 43.52

segment fees 54.40

pfc 16.00

911 security 40.00

convenience fee 60.00

prepaid bags 36.00

total 830.40

first time I actually looked at it. What exactly is segment fees and pfc? Oh well still a great price... bout 104.00 round trip per person.

Tom

You know, I don't know what the segment fee is, either. We were very pleased with Allegiant (and I hate to fly.) Friendly and fun staff both at the airport and on the planes, the only non-stop possibility to Florida for us, and a total with all the fees of $250 round trip for two people. Flying a major carrier would have run us $800-1200 for two, depending on the airline.

The AA $2 fee per bag is at our Ft Myers airport also. It's only at curb side. Its not a luggage fee. If you go inside at the counter its still free. The sign read $2 per checked bag curb side only, Then in small letter's This is not a tip, Or something like that. First time I have seen that.

The payment for extra bags is already in effect with Spirit Airlines, and has been for a while. The situation with that June date, is that after that time you can arrange for the payment online rather than at check-in. There is limited cargo space (or so they say), and without the advance arrangment for luggage space you could be denied to bring luggage aboard.

I'm going on Spirit later today, and there is currently no process in place for pre-arranging luggage - doesn't start until next month. The person on the phone said there should be no issue with my having two pieces of checked baggage, but they could make no guarantee. If it somehow does become an issue, I'm lucky to have a safety net of just driving to the port instead. I just chose to fly because of convenience (and great price), as well as a fear of road closures due to brush fires here in Florida.

I haven't flown AA in awhile, but I can't believe they actually quoted a price to check your bags at the curb. I don't doubt what you are saying, I just find it extremely tacky for a full service airline. We have recently flown Delta and Southwest and on both it was a customer convenience, with an expected gratuity, but no specific amount was mentioned.

For United there is a sign at curb side check in that says $2.00. I thought it was a mandatory tip. I didn't realize it was a check bag fee. Does the porter get any of this money? $2.00 per bag is on the high side of a normal tip ($1 to $2 per bag).

The $2.00 that AA is charging is just a fee to check your bags at the cub. They've been doing it for a couple of years now and I'm not sure but I think it may be all airlines charging to use sky cap services. Here's what I am wondering tho. Are the skycaps employed by the airlines or are they contracted out like the porters are at the port? Who is getting the $2.00/bag? Is it the airlines or is it the company that employs the skycaps (if they are not employed by the airlines)?

Most skycap companies are in contract with the airline, some post the $2.00 sign because that's the recommened tip for this service. I work at Tampa In't and some sky caps do that so they get a tip, because lots of passengers don't tip or they give them only $1 for like 5 bags.

You know, I don't know what the segment fee is, either. We were very pleased with Allegiant (and I hate to fly.) Friendly and fun staff both at the airport and on the planes, the only non-stop possibility to Florida for us, and a total with all the fees of $250 round trip for two people. Flying a major carrier would have run us $800-1200 for two, depending on the airline.

Vacruiser,

SFC is Specific Fuel Consumption and the Segment Fee is a charge for each leg of a domestic flight. Which airport did you use to fly Allegiant and did you book directly with the airline?

Thanks, Ms B

Vacruiser,

SFC is Specific Fuel Consumption and the Segment Fee is a charge for each leg of a domestic flight. Which airport did you use to fly Allegiant and did you book directly with the airline?

Thanks, Ms B

I booked online with the Airline and we flew Roanoke to Sanford, Florida (just outside of Orlando.). We thought Allegiant was a great experience and used them for a quick weekend trip to a wedding. They charge extra to pick seats at the time of booking which we did not do, but both flights it was no problem to be seated together - we just told the agent I was scared to fly and needed to be next to DH.

New Policy from Spirit Airlines... I wonder if all others will follow suit...

Effective June 20, 2007 the following rules will apply to all customers:

NOTE: Option to purchase checked bags online through spiritair.com (web option) will be available in early June.

For 1st Bag – $5 USD Web/ $10 USD Airport

I booked my travel a few weeks ago and nothing was posted on Spirit's web-site about this charge.

Do I have a leg to stand on or do you think they will make us pay when we check-in.

Does the charge apply to only travel boooked after the June date?

Help if you can!!! Many thanks

C~

I booked my travel a few weeks ago and nothing was posted on Spirit's web-site about this charge.

Do I have a leg to stand on or do you think they will make us pay when we check-in.

Does the charge apply to only travel boooked after the June date?

Help if you can!!! Many thanks

C~

Is there a reason you don't want to call the airline and get the official word yourself?

Archived