Statue of Liberty....Is It Worth the lines to visit in the base of the Statue?

Jacquelyn11

I bought one of those Multi-Attraction passes for NYC. It includes the SOL ferry on Circle Line. It DOES NOT include a Monument Pass you need to get to visit the actuall statue. You have to buy DIRECT from Circle line to get the ferry/monument pass ticket! :mad:

I did find out the have a LIMITED number of just Monument pass available at Castle Clinton each day, but you have to be camped in line when they open to secure one of the 30 or so they have each day.

For those who have visited before... is it really worth the hassle to see the Statue base? I know the park rangers also do a tour talk outside the statue also. This may be the only time I get to do this as we normally don't do Big City vacations often.

Opinions please! I Value sleeping late on vacation!

Thanks!

Jacquelyn :D

I bought one of those Multi-Attraction passes for NYC. It includes the SOL ferry on Circle Line. It DOES NOT include a Monument Pass you need to get to visit the actuall statue. You have to buy DIRECT from Circle line to get the ferry/monument pass ticket! :mad:

I did find out the have a LIMITED number of just Monument pass available at Castle Clinton each day, but you have to be camped in line when they open to secure one of the 30 or so they have each day.

For those who have visited before... is it really worth the hassle to see the Statue base? I know the park rangers also do a tour talk outside the statue also. This may be the only time I get to do this as we normally don't do Big City vacations often.

Thanks!

Since I'm a native NYer, in one word....Yes. Not only is it a landmark of NY, it is history. Very worth seeing in my opinion. Also, if you can get to see Ellis Island, I recommend that also. :)

Have fun on your cruise....I see that you are on the sailing the week before me. :D

Mine is no! We walked around and enjoyed that and went on to Ellis Island which is wonderful. You will have to make up your own mind. Both can easily be a whole day trip and the lines at the Statue are horendous. Enjoy whatever you chose:)

B.

Been there, done that many years ago. Don't recall any long lines at that time. It is great to be able to say you have been there, but now I would just be happy to see it from the ferry.

Ellis Island was very interesting too when you stop and think that your ancestors were processed through there.

It's very interesting to read what happened there.

I would not go to the SOL without getting in the base. AND if you plan on trying for a ticket- you must be in line by 7am, and best at 6:30am. IF you get the access pass, then you are already there early for the ferry and fewer lines.

Only you can determine if you want the early start, well worth it if of interest.

I think it depends on how many days you're spending in NYC.

I took my 14-year-old daughter last summer for four days in June. The lines and crowds were horrendous. We got there pretty early in the morning and still spent a couple of hours waiting in line before even getting on the ferry.

One look at the crowds at the SOL base (and those waiting to catch a boat back) and we decided to just go to Ellis Island. I think Ellis Island is an amazing museum with a wonderful audio tour that you can take at your own pace.

Afterwards, though, we were regretting spending basically a whole day on that. We had a limited amount of time and wished we could have those hours back!

We're taking the rest of the family this summer before our cruise, but we'll be fine with views of the statue from the ferry and Miracle.

You'll have a great time no matter what you choose!

Cindy

Seeing the Statue of Liberty in person is amazing. The view from your ship or Ellis Island is better than Liberty Island itself so my answer is No, it's not worth the line if you have limited time. Ellis Island is soooo much better. Do that instead.

I've visited Liberty Island four times - first time in 1967, last time October 2006. If you're going to the island, I think I'd opt for the ranger's tour rather than stand in the line to go in the base. If you do go in, you can look up inside the statue to see how it's built (it is a neat view), but my own opinion is that it's not worth the long wait. There are great views of the statue all around the island, as well as great views of Manhattan.

A hint if you plan to take pictures of the statue from your cruise ship: get up early when you return for better pictures. If you're sailing from Manhattan, the statue will be to the west when you depart and you'll be looking into the afternoon sun. When you return, the morning sun will be behind you and the pictures are much better.

Living in NY, I actually walked the statue in the years you could go up.

I took my grandsons last year and we went into the base - I was very disappointed. All you could see was the beginning of the winding staircase. You can't see that far up.

What is interesting is the original torch is inside the base and you can see that nicely.

There were no lines at all when we went into the base last year.

I too went to the Statue of Liberty a few times when you could actually climb the stairs to the top. Just being able to see the base or be on the island would be a disappointment to me only because I remember being able to see the whole thing. If it is worth it for you to see it, then by all means do. Lady Liberty is wonderful to see from afar so no matter what, you will see her.

Ellis Island is something not to miss. It is filled with history and it is very touching. It's hard not imagine what life must have been like for the immigrants entering this country through Ellis Island. Makes you think about your own family. My grandfather actually has a plaque there (or maybe his name with a million others on a plaque).

I vote yes. I've done SOL twice and was awed by it both times. Ellis Island is also a do not miss imho. You can't get a good perspective of how she is put together if you don't get up into her. Have a great trip! NYC is my favorite big city!!

I am cruising out of Bayonne April 2008 and Ellis Island is on my list of not to miss. I am impressed how so many of you recommended it. I know it will be a very emotional experience for me as my grandfather came through there in 1923 as a 17 year old. He passed away about 8 years ago and I remember his stories of his stay there before being allowed to proceed to Canada.

I have visted the Ellis Island website and have found his name, manifest and the ship he came over on.

So glad I happened onto this thread and so look forward to my Ellis Island visit.

I'll tell you how interesting Ellis Island is - we took my grandson when he was three years old, along with my father, who came through Ellis Island from Italy when he was 6.

My GRANDSON was fascinated with it at three years old! Maybe it had to do with hearing about what his great grandfather remembered when he toured it for the first time in 65 years, but he loved it.

It really is a do not miss.

I am cruising out of Bayonne April 2008 and Ellis Island is on my list of not to miss. I am impressed how so many of you recommended it. I know it will be a very emotional experience for me as my grandfather came through there in 1923 as a 17 year old. He passed away about 8 years ago and I remember his stories of his stay there before being allowed to proceed to Canada.

I have visted the Ellis Island website and have found his name, manifest and the ship he came over on.

So glad I happened onto this thread and so look forward to my Ellis Island visit.

Emmy - Look for your grandfather's name on the wall of immigrants outside the main building. The wall itself is impressive, and I'd imagine how great it would be to find a relative's name on the wall.

Emmy - Look for your grandfather's name on the wall of immigrants outside the main building. The wall itself is impressive, and I'd imagine how great it would be to find a relative's name on the wall.

I will indeed and also his sister's name should also be there. I am sure a few tears will be shed when I see his name.

Someone has to pay to have a relatives name added to that wall - they actually buy the plaque and have the name added. If someone did, then you'll find a name. I think there was a kiosk inside the buidling you could input the family name and it tells you what section of the wall the plaque is located in.

But you can also search and see if you can find the ship manifest for your relatives. I think you can go to the Ellis Island website and research there.

Someone has to pay to have a relatives name added to that wall - they actually buy the plaque and have the name added. If someone did, then you'll find a name. I think there was a kiosk inside the buidling you could input the family name and it tells you what section of the wall the plaque is located in.

But you can also search and see if you can find the ship manifest for your relatives. I think you can go to the Ellis Island website and research there.

You are right. My father paid to have my grandfather's name on the plaque.

Thanks!

Do this trip, start early and beat the crowds. Ellis Island was fantastic, went there to look up my Grandmother's cousin who emigrated to the USA in the late 1800's. We were overcome with emotion and did not even get to look at any records as the whole history of the place took us back in time. What a wonderful experience!

Archived