Has anyone done the WPYR train to Carcross?

jacksan1

you asking about the round-trip...skagway to the top and back?

or one of the combo tours, train/bus?

I would say it would be the one-way train ride to Carcross, with a bus picking up the rest, just like the one that Chilkoot Charters and Tours offers. I am assuming that very few people would do a round-trip between Skagway and Carcross on WPYR (takes too long).

the regular round-trip only goes to the summit, that's why i was asking.

you should be hearing plenty about the train/bus combos..

had great reviews last year. new reviews coming in daily.

the regular round-trip only goes to the summit, that's why i was asking.

you should be hearing plenty about the train/bus combos..

had great reviews last year. new reviews coming in daily.

Yes. I was wondering about the Carcross ride, since this is the first year in a long long while in the history of WPYR that the train actually travels all the way to Carcross. I will be very interested in hearing from anyone who is one of the first to try that long ride.

A few weeks ago I did the bus from Skagway up to Fraser, BC then to Carcross, Yukon. We then went back to Fraser where we caught the White Pass back to Skagway. It was an enjoyable trip. I would have liked to do the train all the way to / from Carcross but it was not available, I think we were too early. Scenery along the way is really beautiful (still lots of snow in the pass) but not too much to see or do at Carcross. If you do go to Carcross you can get your passport stamped at the post office.

We took the train up in 2005 and the bus back to Liarsville then back to Skagway. It was wonderful. You can order a dvd on line from the YPYR as a preview to your trip or as a momento to look at when you return. It is best to hustle to the train to get on the left side on the train for the best view of the valley and climb.

I was planning to do it last year. But they are not going to carcross after mid of August ( I think). So, we end up driving to Emerald lake. Up till Summit, the highway and railroad are pretty much parallel on both sides of valley and scenery are great. After Summit, we drove on Klondike hwy following Yukon's guide. The view is incredible. Oh, considering riding a horse with Joni when you get to Emerald lake (not cheap though, $120 for 2 hrs vs. $60 I used to pay in my local states. but the experience is priceless, to me!). She is a great person and has raised some awesome horses there.

Murray, hurry up and let us know how you liked the train to Carcross when you get back! We'll be on it June 6 and are so excited about being some of the first to ride that route after being closed so many years. Anxiously waiting for your report :)

Murray, hurry up and let us know how you liked the train to Carcross when you get back! We'll be on it June 6 and are so excited about being some of the first to ride that route after being closed so many years. Anxiously waiting for your report :)

I was talking to Larry from Chilkoot Tours today when I met the train in Carcross. He had 4 folks from CruiseCritic on the train yesterday and they apparently loved it. I hope they'll post when they get home. The weather forecast for our run tomorrow is for sunshine to the Pass and then clouds for the last few miles into Skagway - not bad at all. The last of the ice should be off Lake Bennett tomorrow too :D

Murray

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

It was fabulous! I'm working on my review right now (including sorting the 261 photos I took), and will have it posted in the next hour or so. :D

Murray

I was on the first trip running South - May 23, 2007- rode van/bus to Carcross then rode train back to Skagway (tour with Chilkoot Charters). Here are my personal views:

1. Disembarked Norwegian Pearl and met with Larry from Chilkoot at 7:30 a.m. (btw, Larry is a great tour guide). We left Skagway around 8:00 a.m. and returned around 5:30 p.m.

2. I made the summit excursion 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. However, I felt this trip to Carcross and back was worth every penny. Emerald Lake on the drive up was absolutely beautiful. The extra scenery as you travel along the lakes was stunning.

3. There are different sets of conductors depending upon whether you are in Canada or the U.S. (they changed at Lake Bennett). All were very friendly.

4. Lunch was at Lake Bennett and consisted of soup (which they said they are trying to make into stew :-) ), bread and apple pie...this lunch is of historical significance. I felt the 2 hour stop at Lake Bennett was a little long but still really enjoyed it.

5. I would highly recommend this trip.

Archived