Windsor and Hampton Court Paalce on our own?

We're planning on taking the train to Windsor for the day when we are in London pre cruise next month. I would also like to see Hampton Court Palace...is it possible to get a train in Windsor to get there so we can see both on the same day?

This is not a difficult journey but, not one I would contemplate doing by train. Hampton Court station is the end of that line and is not easily reached from the North West part of the Home Counties.

It can be done by taking the train from Windsor to Staines, getting off in Staines and catching the local bus 216 (Staines to Kingston.) This bus runs every 20 minutes Mon - Sat, 1/2 hourly Sundays. Journey time Staines to Hampton Court 30 - 40 minutes. Its a very good service and runs through the villages of Ashford, Sunbury on Thames and Hampton.

However, I would estimate to see Windsor and Hampton Court in one day is really too optimistic. Far better to plan a day for each location.

Jimmy

It's possible, but not as easy as a direct train. If you want to research all the options, try http://www.transportdirect.info.

The simplest thing for a visitor, if not necessarily the most efficient, may be to take the train from Windsor all the way back to Waterloo, and then take another train out to Hampton Court.

[Edited to add:] I agree with haggis about a day for each place.

I would also echo that it is too much to do both in one day - Windsor is a beautiful riverside town that you can spend time in, and take a leisurely lunch - and don't forget to walk to Eton just over the bridge to see the famous school.

Trains leave London Waterloo every 30 mins at .28 and .58 past the hour and the journey takes 54 mins, the service is direct so no changes needed.

For Hampton Court trains also go from London Waterloo at .12 and .42 past each hour, the journey takes 30 mins and it is also a direct service.

I know that Hampton Court is the final stop and believe Windsor is too.

I agree with the others, one each day.

The train is super easy for each, but get up early enough and you can use the boat service that leaves from just beside the London Eye to get to Hampton Court.

I don't remember just how early it leaves (in the back of my mind I'm thinking like 8:30 or 9am?), but it has to catch the tide. I know we were there at 10am thinking that we'd have a lovely ride up the river only to find out that it was long gone. :rolleyes:

Anne,

We took the train from Waterloo last sumer while in London out to Hampton Court, it was a VERY easy trip. However, as the others said.....don't try both in one day ;) We spent they entire day at Hampton Court and still didn't see it all, it's gorgous. If you go there be sure to explore the kitchens and maze....and DO pop for a carriage ride :p The Chapel is NOT to be missed!

Another Anne ....waving HI to Jimmy;)

Anne, can you see me? I'm waving back.

Would you believe I live not 3 miles from Hampton Court Palace and have never visited it. All the family have been several times but apart from a beautiful riverside walk from Kingston Bridge to Hampton Court Bridge, thats the nearest I've been.

That said, I'd like to point out to visitors to London that there are some beautiful walks along the Thames in most parts of London where it passes through. Outside of London, above Hampton Court for instance, Runnymede, near Old Windsor and Egham is a particularly beautiful area and is also the site of the signing of the Magna Carta and the Kennedy Memorial. The Royal Air Force Memorial is also close by.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

You're making my list of places to see longer and longer ;) Now I need to add Winsor to the list as well.

We'll be spending a week there prior to our cruise in 08' I really need to explore the New Forest region further. Our drive through there last summer was a tease, it was enchanting.

Now you need to walk yourself over to Hampton Court :p

Hugs,

Anne

2817194900101313100S425x425Q85.jpg

Hampton Court Palace

Anne, can you see me? I'm waving back.

Would you believe I live not 3 miles from Hampton Court Palace and have never visited it.

Jimmy

Come on long week-end, now is your chance. Give a review on Monday evening. I have never been and want to be tempted next time I go to London.

There are frequent trains to Windsor from Paddington Station as well as Waterloo. Depending on your hotel location, Paddington may be more convenient.

One warning - From Paddington there are both local and express trains. The local makes many more stops.

• 3 weeks later...

Windsor is just great. The changing of the guard there is more fun than at Buckingham Palace with fewer tourists to make the experience really enjoyable. The village of Windsor is just delightful in addition to the draw of the palace. The (short) boat rides are very nice, and the scenery on the train is fairly nice too.

The gardens at Hampton Court Palace are spectacular, so that's a good bet if you enjoy gardens. If you go to that palace, make sure to visit the Royal Tennis courts. Our U.K. friend Alan is a member there (the Queen's youngest son plays there too), and it's a very interesting game.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Where can I find more information about the changing of the guard there?

Anne

Windsor is just great. The changing of the guard there is more fun than at Buckingham Palace with fewer tourists to

Archived