Invitations for Inaugural Cruises

from my understanding, 35 is D+, HOWEVER, I know for a fact that not every D+ person got an invite. Even some on this site who give wonderful, helpful info, did not get invited. And, not all that were invited were D+. It would be interesting to know how CC determined who they recommended to RCCL. I am happy for those who were able to go. I doubt that we will ever even go on a Freedom class, but I am not saying NEVER. We really like Vision class size, but you never know.

It is my understanding that CC did not recommend anyone on this board. RCI's marketing department had a team that made the picks. It was not only Cruise Critic that had members invited. Other types of cruise discussion boards had folks invited too.

Got at invite for Freedom for last year's debut (Diamond + here). But unfortunately had already booked and paid for a cruise with RCCL for the period they offered, how ironic.

Also got at invite for a one day unveiling of the Grandeur (I think that was the ship) after the strecthing of that ship. Too far to drive and the expense of airfare of course for the one day was not worth it. But it was nice to get both phone calls anyway. Didn't get anything from Liberty.

Was reading the previous posts, and as more and more people sail and with the added credits for suites and 7+ day sailings, things will change as Diamond and Diamond + members will grow in numbers. When RCCL instituted the C & A Program was automatically a Diamond member with my number of sailings. Same as with Diamond + when that came along.

Dave

It is my understanding that CC did not recommend anyone on this board. RCI's marketing department had a team that made the picks. It was not only Cruise Critic that had members invited. Other types of cruise discussion boards had folks invited too.

thanks for the info, as I said, it was my "understanding" and that is flawed from time to time:eek: :D

I was invited and got my call from RC on April 2 or 3rd it was about a day or two after we got off the Jewel......unfortunately DW and I were not able to go.........wife can absolutely not take off work the month of May........but I did appreciate the invitation........we tried to make it work, just couldn't.

Hey Gordon

I see you are on NCL with a countdown clock...........kinda surprises me........what is the story on that? Must be a good deal? I'm sure you will enjoy it.

So from everyone's postings it almost sounds like you have to be D or D+ to get the "call" from RCI. I'm only platinum right now and well on my way to Diamond after next March. Maybe I'll be among the chosen after that timeframe :rolleyes: .

So from everyone's postings it almost sounds like you have to be D or D+ to get the "call" from RCI. I'm only platinum right now and well on my way to Diamond after next March. Maybe I'll be among the chosen after that timeframe :rolleyes: .

Not necessarly true........some that were invited by RCCL(thru CC) were not D or DP...........

We're DP with 33 but we werent invited thru that status(I also heard one had to have 35 or more).....we were invited thru my involvement here on CC........just like quite a few that have posted that on this thread.........

Not necessarly true........some that were invited by RCCL(thru CC) were not D or DP...........

We're DP with 33 but we werent invited thru that status(I also heard one had to have 35 or more).....we were invited thru my involvement here on CC........just like quite a few that have posted that on this thread.........

Thanks for the info Parrot, I guess it's almost the luck of the draw type situation. Sort of like the NJ Lottery, hehehe.

I thought it was wrong of RCL not to first invite their loyal Diamond Plus members before extending invites to others. Loyalty seems to be a one way street with corporations. As a result of RCL's disloyalty I've booked two cruises with other cruise lines (Crystal and NCL) although i still have 2 cruises with RCL. Why be loyal, it doesn't pay. Thanks for the wake up call RCL:D it's time to try new lines.

congrats to all that got to go on one of the pre inaug's- from reading the reviews it sounds like you ALL had a fabulous time- we will have just 11 cruise credits by end of 07- hoping to win the lottery so our new address can be royal caribbean of the seas................lol :)

I thought it was wrong of RCL not to first invite their loyal Diamond Plus members before extending invites to others. Loyalty seems to be a one way street with corporations. As a result of RCL's disloyalty I've booked two cruises with other cruise lines (Crystal and NCL) although i still have 2 cruises with RCL. Why be loyal, it doesn't pay. Thanks for the wake up call RCL:D it's time to try new lines.

Not sure if you realize just how many DP members there are now??Its in the thousands...........would have been impossible to invite them all.....

You're welcome Anne......g/l with that lottery!!:)

Considering there were only 38 invited from Cruise Critic and some of us are D+, it really didn't make much of an impact on the number of other people invited.

I'd hardly describe RCI's actions as disloyal. Had you been onboard and attended the special DP party in the Viking Crown lounge, you would have seen how large a number of DP members were invited. Many of us who received invitations through Cruise Critic or other websites, are also DP, but the point is that RCI depends upon a number of sources to fill its ships and if it chooses to reward those groups or organizations in addition to its Crown and Anchor members, it is certainly their prerogative. Large travel agencies, advertising partners, individual agents and others who supply the line with hundreds or thousands of clients as well as those of us who try to provide an objective view of the cruiseline and share valuable information and insights into Royal Caribbean and the ships in its fleet are all entitled to recognition, and RCI chose to do so by inviting many of them to sail on the Liberty pre-inaugural. Perhaps when you invest the $800 million or so involved in building a ship such as Liberty of the Seas, you will choose another way to issue invitations to sail on it. Until then, it is their ship and their right to invite those whom they feel are most deserving. Rather than begrudge someone else their good fortune, perhaps a more positive attitude might help. Choosing to book cruises on another line because of an imagined slight might raise the question of just how loyal such a person really is.:rolleyes:

Hey Gordon

I see you are on NCL with a countdown clock...........kinda surprises me........what is the story on that? Must be a good deal? I'm sure you will enjoy it.

It was booked on a whim. I read so many comments about how great Freestyle cruising is. I wanted to try it for myself and see. I have also not cruised on Princess and want to cruise with them in the future just to say that I have tried them. Royal Caribbean is still my #1 choice as you can see I booked two more cruises last night for 08. Until RCI gives me a reason not to book with them then they will get the majority of my cruises.:)

Many of us who received invitations through Cruise Critic or other websites, are also DP, but the point is that RCI depends upon a number of sources to fill its ships and if it chooses to reward those groups or organizations in addition to its Crown and Anchor members, it is certainly their prerogative. Large travel agencies, advertising partners, individual agents and others who supply the line with hundreds or thousands of clients as well as those of us who try to provide an objective view of the cruiseline and share valuable information and insights into Royal Caribbean and the ships in its fleet are all entitled to recognition, and RCI chose to do so by inviting many of them to sail on the Liberty pre-inaugural. Perhaps when you invest the $800 million or so involved in building a ship such as Liberty of the Seas, you will choose another way to issue invitations to sail on it. Until then, it is their ship and their right to invite those whom they feel are most deserving. Rather than begrudge someone else their good fortune, perhaps a more positive attitude might help. Choosing to book cruises on another line because of an imagined slight might raise the question of just how loyal such a person really is.:rolleyes:

another Cheer leader:D I'm loyal enough to have 28 cruises with RCL (and another 3 with X) and 100 shares of stock. Of course they have the right to invite anyone they want and i have the right to sail with any cruise company I want. Loyalty isn't part of the corporation policy anymore. I did feel slighted that D+ weren't invited before non D or D+ members and that's my perogative:( Flame suit secured tightly

I'd hardly describe RCI's actions as disloyal. Had you been onboard and attended the special DP party in the Viking Crown lounge, you would have seen how large a number of DP members were invited. Many of us who received invitations through Cruise Critic or other websites, are also DP, but the point is that RCI depends upon a number of sources to fill its ships and if it chooses to reward those groups or organizations in addition to its Crown and Anchor members, it is certainly their prerogative. Large travel agencies, advertising partners, individual agents and others who supply the line with hundreds or thousands of clients as well as those of us who try to provide an objective view of the cruiseline and share valuable information and insights into Royal Caribbean and the ships in its fleet are all entitled to recognition, and RCI chose to do so by inviting many of them to sail on the Liberty pre-inaugural. Perhaps when you invest the $800 million or so involved in building a ship such as Liberty of the Seas, you will choose another way to issue invitations to sail on it. Until then, it is their ship and their right to invite those whom they feel are most deserving. Rather than begrudge someone else their good fortune, perhaps a more positive attitude might help. Choosing to book cruises on another line because of an imagined slight might raise the question of just how loyal such a person really is.:rolleyes:

Well said Bill, I could not have said it better myself:D ! Later, Jill

Very nicely put Bill.

I couldn't believe it when I received an email from Laura. By the time Robert contacted us I was walking on cloud 9. We were told by crown and anchor, that diamond + receives an alloted number of cabins. I think they ran out of cabins by the time they got to 38. So if lots of diamond plus cancel, then I suppose it would go right down the line. We have 28 cruises with RCL so I was surprised and thrilled at the invitation.. Wish we could go again but I'm sure they'll want to share with an many as they can. That trip is something we'll be talking about for a long time. Mimi

It was booked on a whim. I read so many comments about how great Freestyle cruising is. I wanted to try it for myself and see. I have also not cruised on Princess and want to cruise with them in the future just to say that I have tried them. Royal Caribbean is still my #1 choice as you can see I booked two more cruises last night for 08. Until RCI gives me a reason not to book with them then they will get the majority of my cruises.:)

I certainly understand...........DW and I went through that about 2 years ago.........wanted to make sure we weren't missing anything......we tried Celebrity and Princess in one year...........we came back to RC:D ..but we had to try........

another Cheer leader:D I'm loyal enough to have 28 cruises with RCL (and another 3 with X) and 100 shares of stock. Of course they have the right to invite anyone they want and i have the right to sail with any cruise company I want. Loyalty isn't part of the corporation policy anymore. I did feel slighted that D+ weren't invited before non D or D+ members and that's my perogative:( Flame suit secured tightly

Never said you didn't have the right to sail with any line you choose. I have sailed on several lines besides RCI, and have determined that RCI best suits my tastes. However, I do question how loyalty is involved if it can be so easily turned off by the failure to get an invitation. I have 35 cruises with RCI and also own over 100 shares of stock, but neither situation guaranteed that I would receive an invitation. If the marketing department chose to include me on their list of those to be invited on the Liberty, I am grateful, but I also do not feel obligated to defend RCI against all criticism, only that which IMHO is unfounded.

This is what inevitably happens when you have a public board and some are chosen and some are not. This probably has more to do with hurt feelings and emotion than loyalty. We will probably never know what the magic formula was for who got invited and who didn't. We are only Diamond with 11 RC cruises and we were invited.........yet others with Diamond + status did not..........who knows.........

Having been in marketing for a large corporation I know you can't invite everyone..........and you can accidentally overlook some people.......it happens.......talking about it on a board like this probably only makes it worse for those that wanted to go........and weren't chosen........for whatever reason.

This is what inevitably happens when you have a public board and some are chosen and some are not. This probably has more to do with hurt feelings and emotion than loyalty.

I think you are right, there are hurt feelings on my part and you can't negate feelings, its subjective. When I have to make a list for invites i start with family and work out from there. RCL started with their CEO's and management and apparently doesn't consider those of us with 28 cruises (over people with one cruise) important. I looked at a new line which i wouldn't have looked at had i not felt slighted and booked on Crystal and NCL in addition to RCL. If RCL has the itinary I want from the ports i want I'll still book with RCL but I now will look at several cruise lines before booking. I had previously only looked at RCL and X and Princess.

I don't have any hard feelings towards the people who were invited at all, I just feel I should been one of them based on the information from this board of how many cruises people had with RCL. It was a wake up call of how much RCL values their frequent cruisers.

Considering there were only 38 invited from Cruise Critic .

If CC was alloted 38 freebies, then, in the interest of full and fair disclosure, it should be revealed how selections were made.

As of December 2006, there were 1500 Diamond Plus members out of a total of over 3 million C&A members.

The magic number seemed to be 35 cruises or more for the invite came directly from my RCI Sales Rep. but other criteria were also used such as those with the most cruises were invited first etc, etc. They also looked at the type of cabins people had traditionally booked, so those that normally book the higher end got higher on the list of invitees. When you factor in the limited number of events and all of the industry and press, not everyone can be invited. My Sales Rep only had a limited number of cabins (10 total) over 2 sailing dates for which to invite all of the agencies in her 6 state territory.

As of December 2006, there were 1500 Diamond Plus members out of a total of over 3 million C&A members.

The magic number seemed to be 35 cruises or more for the invite came directly from my RCI Sales Rep. but other criteria were also used such as those with the most cruises were invited first etc, etc. They also looked at the type of cabins people had traditionally booked, so those that normally book the higher end got higher on the list of invitees. When you factor in the limited number of events and all of the industry and press, not everyone can be invited. My Sales Rep only had a limited number of cabins (10 total) over 2 sailing dates for which to invite all of the agencies in her 6 state territory.

I think you are missing my point. People with one cruise were invited over people with more. It would be fair to start with the cruisers who had the most cruises and work their way down, not the arbitrary give away they did.

Archived