What is "Single-Mingle Dining"?

Roz

I'm looking at taking an organized singles cruise...can't believe I'm even admitting to this. :o

I've looked at several singles cruise websites (won't mention names because of CC policies), and one of them lists "single-mingle dining" as a feature. What the heck is this? Please tell me it's not like speed-dating where you would take a few bites of food and then move to a new table and keep repeating the process. :D Is it all-buffet dining with finger food so you have to mingle because you're standing up?

Roz

Hey Roz,

Good for you, a singles cruise would be interesting. Are you doing some research first? ie average age etc.

I just booked a 4 day on the Splender for Nov. 2008 may go alone, or with a friend, or take daughter. They only have insides left so grabbed one and will see about doing 4 days sea and 3 days in Miami.

I don't know if you can leave work on 6 weeks notice but if you can that is a great way to pick up a cruise for a great rate.I got our Hawaiian cruise for an amazing rate (also had the over 55 rate). It is very difficult when you are single and having to budget for these trips, it certainly can be hard at times. I looked at the prices of the panama and will not be able to afford those as a single. My options, not go , go with a friend or keep an eye on the prices and see if there is a drop.

Keep us posted regarding the singles mingle thing lol

Take care

Hi Ellie! Still haven't figured out singles mingle. :D

Sometimes I can leave with 6 wks. notice, sometimes not. As you well know, finding air fare for a last minute cruise can sometimes be problematic.

The singles cruises I'm looking at include some that specifically say "40+" and some that are just plain singles. Not sure what would be best.

I just realized a few weeks ago that lo and behold, I'll be eligible for the 55+ rates in 7 months. This is going to make me consider Carnival more often for their less expensive single supplement and senior rates (boy is it hard to say that!).

Roz

Roz, I believe it's where you're not assigned a specific table for dinner and you just sit at different tables each night with different singles in your group. I would guess the singles group you're sailing with will set aside a certain number of tables in the dining room and you'll be able to sit anywhere at those tables.

Thanks, Darcie. I would think that's hard on the wait staff, and I'm wondering if service suffers. I like having the same waiter every night, and them getting to know my "quirks" - oil and vinegar for my salad, black coffee with my dessert, etc.

Roz

Unless the single's group is huge, my guess is that they would seat you all in the same area where you could have the same waitstaff every night. But, what you're saying is one of the problems with boking a single's cruise---you're almost expected to participate in all the group's activities.

That's exactly what it is. They reserve a section, and you can sit at whatever table you like within that section.

I didn't like it because I felt as if I was back in the high school cafeteria wandering around hoping that someone would ask me to sit with them.

And that is the biggest reason I didn't repeat my singles cruise experience....I enjoyed meeting lots of people traveling alone - but I prefer an assigned dinner seat with the same companions and waitstaff.

Em

Archived