which side of the ship

burtshell

We went from Rio via Antarctica to Valpariso in January, 2006 and we had starboard. We felt it was the best side of the ship especially when going through the Chilean Fjords and down in Antarctica.

My sister who did a similar cruise 12 months before us, also had starboard and she was told it was the best side to be on for that particular itinerary.

Jennie

For port-intensive itineraries, I prefer port side. The "preferred" docking location for a ship is port side to the dock, with ship facing out of the harbor for quick getaway. Port side is preferred at dockside because there are more bunkering options (gas) and entryways. Note that ships are not always able to get their preferred positions because other ships might be in the best spot, or wind/current conditions, or many other reasons.

I like port side because in many ports you are met by native bands, craft markets are set up, etc... I also like watching the people work the lines, watching people disembark, etc...

If you are heading down the west coast, perhaps port side would provide a better view of land when nearing the port? Conversely, if you are heading down the east coast, the right side of the ship might offer some better views of land. Note I am assuming that land sights are more interesting than sea, which you may or may not agree with.

• 3 weeks later...

We were booked on starboard balcony cabin till yesterday an aft cabin came available and since I have never been lucky enough to get one of the aft balconies I switched. Now I am wondering if I would have been better off with the starboard cabin. Any thoughts?

Archived