Shorex Jun 2007

Mccarri

Hi Guys

Just planning our shorexs for June 2007. We will visit Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway (or possibily Icy Point).

We would like to experience a floatplane, whale watching, bear watching and a heli trip (perhaps with muching).

At which port should we do each of these and who are the best indep operators? I think whale watching (because of the possibility to do this with the Medenhall Glacier) will be best in Juneau.

Also, is a Glacier Bay flight possible from any of these ports and again, what operator? Our ship is not going there!

Regards and thanks

I + F

Hi Guys

Just planning our shorexs for June 2007. We will visit Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway (or possibily Icy Point).

We would like to experience a floatplane, whale watching, bear watching and a heli trip (perhaps with muching).

At which port should we do each of these and who are the best indep operators? I think whale watching (because of the possibility to do this with the Medenhall Glacier) will be best in Juneau.

Also, is a Glacier Bay flight possible from any of these ports and again, what operator? Our ship is not going there!

Regards and thanks

I + F

All I can do is wish you good luck!!! You are looking to book the most popular excursions. Many are booked up at this late date.

Search through these boards and then contact every operator you can find to see if there are any openings. Good luck!!!

It is regular flightseeing out of Skagway to Glacier Bay, no float planes. If a floatplane is a priority then consider Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan, my top recommendations are Southeast Aviation and Island Wings.

A whale watch and glacier helicopter landing is out of Juneau, cobooked. My top vender recommendation is Orca Enterprises and Coastal Helicopters.

You are too early for bears. Unless you want to do a fly in out of Juneau??? Tough choices, you need permits for Pack Creek, Alaska Fly N Fish is a vendor to consider.

You should have some availablity getting tours even at this late date, but look at immediate booking.

It is regular flightseeing out of Skagway to Glacier Bay, no float planes. If a floatplane is a priority then consider Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan, my top recommendations are Southeast Aviation and Island Wings.

A whale watch and glacier helicopter landing is out of Juneau, cobooked. My top vender recommendation is Orca Enterprises and Coastal Helicopters.

You are too early for bears. Unless you want to do a fly in out of Juneau??? Tough choices, you need permits for Pack Creek, Alaska Fly N Fish is a vendor to consider.

You should have some availablity getting tours even at this late date, but look at immediate booking.

Thanks everybody - especially BQ! You sure seem to be the expert on these parts from what I've read on this board...

As regards the regular flightseeing out of Skagway to Glacier Bay, can you recommend an opertor?

Also, will it be too early to do the 'Alaska Bear Viewing' outta Ketchikan to POW with www.alaskaseaplanetours.com in late June?

Thanks again and cheers

I + F

Hi Guys

Now I remember who you are! Since you said "possibly Icy Point" - can I assume you are still waiting to book the cruise? I hope it all works out for you with the cruise and flights.

Bears are being sighted out the roads here in Hoonah. We go out almost everyday scouting and seeing how much snow has melted off the roads(sometimes shoveling and pushing through).

There are independents that aren't fully booked.

Hi Guys

Regards and thanks

I + F

we just got back from Alaska on 5/20 and had a fantastic trip, partially because we booked our excursions privately, rather than using the ship...all the guides knew us by the time we got there and it made for a MUCH more personal time! (by the way, i didn't read anyone else's responses, just your question, so sorry if i'm redundant...) Ketchikan...we used Islandwings and Michelle for a floatplane trip into Misty Fjords. She knows her stuff, has been flying that area for years and is a talkative and entertaining tourguide while in the air. Highly recommended. Juneau...our cruiseline cancelled our visit to Icy Strait Point at the last minute, so we had to book a whale watching trip in Juneau...we went with Harv and Marv, and it was fabulous. Only 6 people to a boat, which is nice cuz you're not getting pushed all over by other photographers...but even better is Marv's 2nd sense about where diving whales are going to surface next.... on 2 occasions we had whales surface and dive again right in front of the boat making for a GREAT photo that he posted on his weekly photos on his website http://www.harvandmarvs. For Skagway, we contacted Temsco directly and booked the dogsledding. Worth every penny of our very very hard-earned money... my husband's quote before the trip: "what could POSSIBLY be worth that kind of money to do???" The quote after the trip: " That was the most fantastic thing I think I've ever done. Worth every penny". We even had to "skimp" on a few things to get up on that glacier....but we're glad we did. Good luck with your trip...we're so sad ours is over already!! :)

Thanks everybody - especially BQ! You sure seem to be the expert on these parts from what I've read on this board...

As regards the regular flightseeing out of Skagway to Glacier Bay, can you recommend an opertor?

Also, will it be too early to do the 'Alaska Bear Viewing' outta Ketchikan to POW with www.alaskaseaplanetours.com in late June?

Thanks again and cheers

I + F

http://www.skagwayair.com/glacier.htm I have flown with them but not to Glacier Bay.

You are overall too early for any Ketchikan bear tours in June. Contact vendors directly for specific sighting guidelines.

Archived