Cruising with a CPAP?

I have been using a CPAP since 1992 and have cruised RCI (Radiance) with it.

As others have posted, the only outlet is over near the vanity, so you do need an extension cord, either your own or RCI's. I always travel with a power strip with a 10 foot cord, since you never know if a hotel is going to have accessible plug, and it is better to have your own. Not all hotels have extension cords available when you need it.

I don't use a humidifier, since they didn't have such things in 1992 and I adapted to it. One less thing to keep clean...

I have been using a CPAP since 1992 and have cruised RCI (Radiance) with it.

As others have posted, the only outlet is over near the vanity, so you do need an extension cord, either your own or RCI's. I always travel with a power strip with a 10 foot cord, since you never know if a hotel is going to have accessible plug, and it is better to have your own. Not all hotels have extension cords available when you need it.

I don't use a humidifier, since they didn't have such things in 1992 and I adapted to it. One less thing to keep clean...

Funny you should mention the Radiance... I'm going to be on the Radiance next February!

We just came back from the Sovereign and had an interior room. We brought an extention cord and used the chair at night to hold the machine (there's no nightstand). During the day, we stored the machine on top of the TV. It fit perfectly and conserved valuable space while getting ready for dinner, etc!

rhsmd - on my way to work now, but will post tomorrow about PE's secondary to pulmonary hypertension and sleep apnea. Does the "md" in your screen name imply you're a doctor? If so, you may be interested in a recently completed study by Dr. Epstein...

Cindy

Thank you, everyone, for your answers! I feel much more comfortable now about traveling with and using the CPAP. I'm also glad to know that my life will improve a great deal once this is treated!

Thank you, everyone, for your answers! I feel much more comfortable now about traveling with and using the CPAP. I'm also glad to know that my life will improve a great deal once this is treated!

Good luck!! I recently starting using the CPAP too and it is taking some time to get used to. If you do have a hard time getting used to it - just hang in there!!! It might take some time but you can do it! :)

Thanks to everyone else for the info!

• 1 month later...

I had the polysomnogram on Saturday, June 30th. The tech didn't go deaf from my snoring, which I guess is good, but it confirmed the diagnosis of sleep apnea. The CPAP appliance the tech tried went under and slightly into my nose, and from what I gather (I have to wait two weeks for the results), it worked well. So that's what they'll be using and what I'll have to get used to.

The finish line is in sight!

DH recently started using the CPAP machine. I called the C & A desk to ask if we needed any medical papers or such and said I would be bringing the extension chord and distilled water and they told me it was not necessary - it would be waiting in our cabin when we arrived.

I had the polysomnogram on Saturday, June 30th. The tech didn't go deaf from my snoring, which I guess is good, but it confirmed the diagnosis of sleep apnea. The CPAP appliance the tech tried went under and slightly into my nose, and from what I gather (I have to wait two weeks for the results), it worked well. So that's what they'll be using and what I'll have to get used to.

The finish line is in sight!

Jeanie, that's the type of CPAP I've used for years, they call the parts that go into your nose nasal pillows and they come in color coded different sizes. I tried the mask that covered my whole nose and part of my face and discovered I was claustrophobic, never knew it till I tried to sleep with that on. The only adjustment I had to make in my sleeping was to tilt my head up when facing my DH, the air hole sends a stream of cool air directly at his neck.

PS: never had the bomb sniffer check out my cpap...lol...i think they all know what it is...just put it throuhg the scanner with your carryon...

My doctors gave me notes to keep in the bag that lists any meds I need to carry and info on the cpap. I never had to use it (knock on wood)...

Our cruise this past January, as we went through security at the airport, the screeners did open the case and ran a swap across my machine.

I would also take a copy of the confirmation from special needs with you just in case the distilled water is not in your room. This happened a couple of years ago and had to go to the pursers desk and ask about it. Took an hour or two but I did have it by the time I went to bed.

Just returned from cruising British Isles. Heathrow counts the sleep apnea machine as your 1 checkon. Even the check in lady says it is rubbish!!!Just be forwarned if traveling from England.

DH has been cruising and traveling with a CPAP for years. He always carries his in a backpack, so he has extra room for other carry-on items. Yes, if the airline only allows one carry-on, then the CPAP in it's case counts, so take a larger bag with the CPAP in it. We were glad of this on British Airways and EasyJet this last April/May

Also, he always carries a long, heavy duty extension cord. We put his machine in the bottom drawer of the nightstand. Fits nicely, and it's out of the way.

DH has been cruising and traveling with a CPAP for years. He always carries his in a backpack, so he has extra room for other carry-on items. Yes, if the airline only allows one carry-on, then the CPAP in it's case counts, so take a larger bag with the CPAP in it. We were glad of this on British Airways and EasyJet this last April/May

Also, he always carries a long, heavy duty extension cord. We put his machine in the bottom drawer of the nightstand. Fits nicely, and it's out of the way.

Actually, according to DOT regulations

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20011029.htm

"The limit of one carry-on bag and one personal bag (e.g., purse or briefcase) for each traveler does not apply to medical supplies and/or assistive devices (including service animals and their equipment). Passengers with disabilities generally may carry medical equipment, medications, and assistive devices on board the aircraft."

So the CPAP and its case are IN ADDITION to your carryon allowance. However, convincing gate personnel of this may be problematical. It is best to include the CPAP in your carry on bag allowance and not have to fight for it.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I have a question for those using the CPAP machine. Has anybody had problems with their eyes from the air released from the vent? I had cornea abrasions and then cornea abruptions(sp) I have been trying for over a year to get used to it, but seem to run into so many problems. I have tried the full face mask, since I am a mouth breather...then tried nasal pillows, etc.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated...

International flights are much stricter. As posted above, we found this to be true on EasyJet, and when they say ONE they mean ONE.

DH doesn't want to carry more than one bag around, anyway, so the backpack works well for him.

I have been using a CPAP for about 5 years. For the first 4 years I used the nasal pillows and headgear. I really didn't want to consider a mask. I had trouble with the headgear and plastic supports for the nasal pillows breaking. Also I was more limited in my sleep positions (I like to sleep on my stomach). I now have a new type of mask. It covers just nose, but is made of a super soft, pliable plastic that moves with you. I know that sounds crazy but it does.

I love it, it's light years ahead of what I had before.

Ellen

I have a problem with dry eyes and complained when using the mask that it was irritating this existing condition because of the air venting into my eyes. I can't complain of this since going to the nasal pillow type although lately I find myself waking up with either one of the tubes having disconnected or my having pulled the whole thing off in my sleep. The first year I asked for an extension cord when I realized how far the outlet was from the bed and it was provided. Since then I brought my own, but this year I was in a JS and the width was too great for my 6 foot extension cord. Luckily someone else in the cabin had an extension cord and I was ok with the two of them. In the promenade and E2 rooms, a 6 foot cord is sufficient. I also have refilled a couple of water bottles with distilled water in my luggage, maybe next trip I'll contact RCCL and arrange for them to deliver the distilled water! Thanks for that bit of information.

Hobie1976,

You might want to try a new mask called a hybrid. It has nasal pillows and covers the mouth. No air blows near your eyes. I got one about 6 months ago and it has made a big difference.

Nancy

rhsmd - on my way to work now, but will post tomorrow about PE's secondary to pulmonary hypertension and sleep apnea. Does the "md" in your screen name imply you're a doctor? If so, you may be interested in a recently completed study by Dr. Epstein...

Cindy

I looked for your post about the PE's in relation to sleep apnea and pulmonary hypertension, but don't see it. Would you plese post a link.

Thank you.

Annieeee

There is no need to carry distilled water on board. Hubby has used a BiPAP for 8 years and we have used the ship's water with no mineral buildup.

I recently asked about the water from 2 sources, Captain Bang's wife and the Concierge on Radiance. My concern was the sodium content. Here are their replies:

#

Today, 09:04 AM

Tjukka vbmenu_register("postmenu_10121625", true);

Cool Cruiser

They make the water on the ship, there is no salt in it. The ship produced water is made in accordance with USPH rules and regulations and is check by the engineering and hospital. No ship water or ice has salt in it. It is monitored 24 hours a day. Avoid the soups that are broth, they have salt in them to make the broth. Ships water is purer than the bottled water, so drink a lot of water and sleep with 2 pillows under your legs and you shouldn't have any problem. I just looked at a bottle of water- spring water- and it contains salt. I also have high blood pressure and am diabetic. I drink lots of water and sleep with my feet on pillows and haven't ever had swollen ankles other then on airplanes.

Tj

Hi Charlene

I forwarded you question to our Chief Engineer on board, and I found out

that water in Radiance has no sodium content. thanks hope this help.

Best regards,

WillieSalaya

Concierge 8992

GTV Radiance of the Seas

DOT regulations do not apply to foreign carriers flying in foreign lands. BA and EJ are both very strict as to carry ons domestically within Europe.

Not just within Europe! When we flew home from Gatwick in May Delta would only allow 1 carry on per person. Hubby's BiPAP and my purse were the only items we could carry on.

I am freaking out right now. I travel with a CPAP machine, but mine just stopped working the other day, and we are about to sail very soon. I am hoping to get it replaced before we leave, or I am going to have a very angry bride on my hands with my snoring!! Please keep your fingers crossed.

Archived