Cruising with a CPAP?

Had a doctor's appointment yesterday, and I'm being sent for evaluation for sleep apnea. Most likely, I'm going to end up with a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine to use when I sleep. Has anyone here traveled with and/or used a CPAP on board? What should I know?

Jeanie, we just returned from our maiden voyage on LOS. DH uses cpap machine and had no problems. I would suggest that you carry an extension cord at least; we also took a multiple power strip - but didnt have to use it.

I don't know if i will ever book just a regular cruise again .. .they will have to keep building new ships so i can take the inaugural cruise:D

My DH also travels with a CPAP everywhere we go. For our cruise, we took a power strip and bottled water, as his machine uses distilled water. Also, carry your CPAP as a carry-on in its case. That way you know you have it, and it won't get beat up on its way to your room.

Elizabeth

We don't use a CPAP but my wife uses other similar equipment. As long as you are bringing your own equipment it is an easy thing to do. We don't travel with an extension cord and usually make out just fine. The only time we've needed one it was provided by the ship. All it took was a call to the front desk. If you have other electrical needs than a power strip would be useful. One issue you may run into when you get to your room is finding a good spot to set up your CPAP. Sometimes the night tables have built in lamps that get in the way but we've always managed to improvise an arrangement that has worked, even if it meant having the room steward do some rearranging of the room. I don't want to make that sound like it is a big deal because it never has been for us.

I posted (or thought I did!), then it disappeared. Sorry if this shows up twice.

I took my CPAP on the Freedom last month. Before I left, I e-mailed the special needs department at RCL (don't have the e-mail handy, but I'm sure someone here can post it for you). I asked them to provide a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord. Both were in the cabin when we arrived.

I did take an extension cord with me, but would not have been able to use it because it wasn't long enough (6 ft). The extension cord RCL provided was one of those really long, heavy-duty orange ones. It had to go from one side of the cabin to the other (above the vanity). It was the only wall plug-in we could find.

I put the machine on the bedside table and ran the extension cord under the bed and across the cabin to the other wall. In the morning, I unplugged it and pushed the cord under the bed to get it out of the way. I also put the hose and face mask in the bedside drawer.

It was not inconvenient to travel with a CPAP at all. The alternative - no restful sleep - is NOT an option!

DH uses one so we always take a power strip and/or extension cord. Because of all of the concerns regarding taking water or any liquid on board this spring, we asked our travel agent to request a bottle of distilled water from RCI. It was in our cabin when we boarded this past April.

Guest scraperry
I posted (or thought I did!), then it disappeared. Sorry if this shows up twice.

I took my CPAP on the Freedom last month. Before I left, I e-mailed the special needs department at RCL (don't have the e-mail handy, but I'm sure someone here can post it for you). I asked them to provide a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord. Both were in the cabin when we arrived.

I did take an extension cord with me, but would not have been able to use it because it wasn't long enough (6 ft). The extension cord RCL provided was one of those really long, heavy-duty orange ones. It had to go from one side of the cabin to the other (above the vanity). It was the only wall plug-in we could find.

I put the machine on the bedside table and ran the extension cord under the bed and across the cabin to the other wall. In the morning, I unplugged it and pushed the cord under the bed to get it out of the way. I also put the hose and face mask in the bedside drawer.

It was not inconvenient to travel with a CPAP at all. The alternative - no restful sleep - is NOT an option!

Thanks FLCruiseGirl for the tips! My DH also has a CPAP and we were wondering about the supplies. First trip on Mariner in November - can't wait! :D

Had my first cruise in April on Majesty, and have to echo what everyone has said.

Take an extension cord, and I checked a bottle of water in my checked luggage. Next time I will ask RCL to provide it from the sounds of it.

i always keep an extension cord in the cpap case.

during the day it doubles as the "charger", for cell phone, ipod, digi cam batteries etc.

btw. always carry your cpap on board the plane. NEVER EVER check it.

medical equipment is excluded from the carry on limit. so you can still bring on your carry on and a personal bag, plus the cpap.

just be prepared for the tsa bomb sniffer on your cpap,:D :D :eek: :eek:

Thanks so much to the OP. I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, which in turn caused pulmonary embolisms in my lungs and nearly killed me. I recently started using a CPAP machine and have been wondering about using it on my cruises. My doctor says she doesn't recommend that I ever sleep any longer than a nap without using it so leaving it at home isn't an option.

I was also thrilled to know that RCCL will provide the distilled water and extension cord, and that the CPAP (in it's carrying case) isn't counted against my luggage quota when I fly.

If you wait long enough, any question a person might have will be answered by the great folks on CC!

Now for my next question, when will I win the lottery and be able to cruise for the rest of my life???:p

I also sleep with a CPAP and I took it on the last 2 cruises...Always keep it with you and I keep all my meds I may need in it so it is all together.

I do carry my own extension cord but when I wrote to special needs for the distilled water, they replied that the water in the faucets are distilled and I just use the water from the faucet. I will contact them this time and ask for the distilled water again and see if they supply a bottle.

I put my machine on the bottom shelf of the nightstand and I ask the room steward to please clean that shelf area out since it takes the air from the room into the machine and I tip well for the extra service.

I hope this helps!

I am more concerned traveling on the airplane for Alaska, since we have to be at airport at 4am so it will be difficult to sleep on the plane without it...

PS: never had the bomb sniffer check out my cpap...lol...i think they all know what it is...just put it throuhg the scanner with your carryon...

My doctors gave me notes to keep in the bag that lists any meds I need to carry and info on the cpap. I never had to use it (knock on wood)...

Recently TSA has been swabbing my cpap. Sometimes just the outside of the case and other times everything in the case. I do keep an eye on them and ask the checker to use new gloves if he/she doesn't change them before starting to open the case. Who knows what they were poking around in prior to examining my stuff?

My2Kitties - I am told I display none of the OSA symptoms when I sleep sitting up . . . makes it easier to sleep on a plane.

Royal Caribbean is the greatest!! :D My fiance uses a CPAP for sleep apnea. All you have to do is call RCI and let them know that you use one and they will have the distilled water and extension cord in the room waiting for you.

TSA swabbed down my husband's leg brace too. They asked him to take it off too which he didn't since they are not allowed to make you take off braces. We had printed the TSA guidelines and he had them with him just in case someone gave him a hard time. A supervisor actually intervened and said he didn't have to remove it.

I never have trouble traveling with my CPAP. Once in a while they do run the bomb sniffer over it. No problem.

I don't bother with distilled water for the small time I am on the ship. If I get any slight mineral film in the humidifier I just rinse it out with vinegar when I get home.

One thing I would suggest -- go ahead and buy a current converter and a pack of international adapters. The ships all have US standard current, but you might wind up in a foreign country by some chance. On one cruise, we were offered a free overnight in Barcelona by the airline, and I was glad I had tossed my adapters in the bag!

To the new, or potential, CPAP users who have posted: I want to tell you that you are going to find that CPAP makes a major difference in your life! It is so wonderful to be back in the world again, not drifting off to sleep all the time. My health is so much better in so many ways -- blood pressure down, acid reflux stopped, depression improved, and of course NO SNORING -- I never sleep a wink without my CPAP. Some people have a bit of trouble adjusting to it, but it is worth it! Sitting up on the plane wihtout it, I can doze a bit, and DW pokes me if I start snoring.

Have a GREAT cruise!

To the new, or potential, CPAP users who have posted: I want to tell you that you are going to find that CPAP makes a major difference in your life! It is so wonderful to be back in the world again, not drifting off to sleep all the time. My health is so much better in so many ways -- blood pressure down, acid reflux stopped, depression improved, and of course NO SNORING -- I never sleep a wink without my CPAP. Some people have a bit of trouble adjusting to it, but it is worth it! Sitting up on the plane wihtout it, I can doze a bit, and DW pokes me if I start snoring.

Have a GREAT cruise!

How true!! Hubby's CPAP saved our marriage at least the sleeping in the same room part. I get to sleep now so my health is better also. I am not exhausted all the time with him keeping me awake so the machine has more benefits then to just the user.

I will have to tell DH to poke me if I snore...

I agree it is the one of the best things I did for myself...I never slept more than 1.5 hours max at a time...now I put it on and sleep 6+ hours of sound sleep.

Glad others also feel this way...

Archived