Just back from the Avalon Tranquility (long)

paterry

Avalon Tranquility – May 13 to May 27, 2007

This is really just our impression, along with the times in ports (as promised). All in all, we had a wonderful time. The ship is new and more spacious than we thought it would be. The cabins are not roomy, but there is lots of storage and the bathrooms have both shelves and space behind the mirror. We didn’t need all the space – asked for more hangers and they were delivered right away.

We arrived in Budapest and were met at the airport. A fast drive downtown – the driver said that if it wasn’t Sunday, it would have taken much longer. Outskirts of town are typical Russian block architecture, and lots of construction. We meet at a café in the downtown area where we choose our bus colour that we will keep for the whole trip. Coffee, juice and water is available, and after some confusion we go for a walk – we can’t board until 4 p.m.

Bussed to the ship, about 5 minutes away and by the time we get to our cabin our luggage is waiting. Unpack, dinner, and an early bedtime – we are exhausted and the morning tour of Budapest starts at 8:30!

Monday, May 14

8:30 – 11 a.m. Sightseeing tour of Budapest – Local guides on buses take us to Hero square, Gellert hill, Mathias cathedral and Fisherman’s Bastion. Back to the ship for a buffet lunch, and because we did not choose optional tours, a walk to the Central market and through the old town. Still a little jet lagged, so back to the ship for 4 o’clock coffee and cake. We sailed at 6:30, there was a port talk at 7:15, and dinner at 7:30. This was the pattern for most of the trip, with the talk about the next day’s plans before dinner.

After dinner Joe played in the lounge. He was incredibly talented – played the piano, sax, guitar, pan pipes and could sing like Elvis if he tried. He played every night until after midnight, and most night there were people dancing until after I went to bed!

Tuesday, May 14 – Bratislava

Morning sailing on the river, and the rain started at lunch. Arrived in Bratislava at 1:30 and left for a sightseeing tour at 2 p.m. The tour was shortened because no one wanted to walk – it was really pouring. After dinner we had very good entertainment – Aphrodite- a group of five very beautiful women who played show tunes, and light classics. We sailed at 10:45.

Wednesday. May 15 - Vienna

Thank goodness the weather cleared, and we had good weather all the way to Amsterdam. A very early morning – the bus tour started at 8:15, and we had free time to walk around downtown. After lunch we went on the optional excursion to Schoenbrunn Palace, and after dinner we went to a classical concert. While the music was enjoyable, we were not happy with being herded into a large rooms, sitting on quite uncomfortable chairs and not being able to really see the dancers.

The ship sailed at 11 p.m. for Durnstein.

Durnstein – Melk – Thursday May 17.

Another early start as we arrived in Durnstein at 8:30. This was a walking tour and was interesting, although we found ourselves wandering around by ourselves. A very pretty town and an easy walk along the river. We sailed at 10:45, so this was a short stop.

After sailing through the beautiful Wachau Valley, lined with vineyards, we arrived in Melk at 2:30. Busses took us to Melk Abbey, at 10 minute ride, for a guided tour. We walked back to the ship through the very pretty pedestrian area. Unfortunately most of the stores were closed for a religious holiday, but we did find a restaurant/bar that had internet access. We sent messages home to friends (wish you were here!) and paid one euro for 15 minutes. The internet terminals on board are very expensive (someone said 4 euros a MINUTE) and not very reliable, so if you want to keep in touch keep your eye open for internet cafes. They are very common all through Europe, and apart from the slightly different keyboard easy to use.

At 6 p.m. we had a wine tasting for wines from the Wachau Valley, followed by a port talk and dinner. We sailed at 9:45.

Linz/Passau Friday, May 18

The ship stopped briefly in Linz (from 7:30 to 8:15) to off load the passengers who took the optional trip to Salzburg. We stayed on board and enjoyed a beautiful trip through the countryside. From what we heard, everyone enjoyed the trip to Sound of Music country, although everyone said it was very, very crowded.

We arrived in Passau at 4:30 and a walking tour left right away. We skipped the tour and just walked through town ourselves. The ship left at 6:15.

Regensburg Saturday, May 19

AT 9:15 Hans gave an explanation of the optional excursions in Germany and Amsterdam, before arriving Regensburg at 10 a.m.. We took the walking tour through the old part of town and through the Thurn and Taxis Palace, then walked back for sausages at Germany’s oldest sausage restaurant. After lunch we took the optional tour of the Danube Gorge and were very disappointed. A long bus ride, a crowded boat and hurried beer and a pretzel. This is one tour I would not recommend. We sailed at 5:45.

After dinner an entertainer, the “Hanz O Marusch Show”, came on board and although he did not speak a word of English still managed to keep us all in stitches.

Nuremberg Sunday, May 20

At 9:30 there was a lecture “All you always wanted to know about the Main-Danube canal", by Mr. Stefan Hoffmann. It was very good – he managed to make what could have been a pretty dry subject very interesting. We arrived in Nuremberg at 2 p.m. and left on buses. Those who opted for the tour though WW II sights went separately – the rest of us just had a very quick tour of the re-built downtown and were dropped off in the main square. All the stores were closed - Sunday is still a holiday in Germany – so we found a quiet café and drank white wine and beer. Back on ship there was a beer tasting featuring Bavarian beer given by two charming Bavarian beer maids. The ship left after dinner at 9:45.

Bamberg - Monday May 21

We were docked out of town, so caught buses for a sightseeing walk that lasted about 90 minutes and then had about hour free time to shop and use the internet. Sailed at 12:45, and after lunch sat on the front deck to watch the Main-Danube canal. For the entire canal the sky deck was closed, which was very disappointing. We expected it to close when we went under low bridges, but not for days at a time. There is very limited seating on the front deck outside the lounge and unfortunately that was where the smokers congregated.

After dinner we had a demonstration of the making of a dessert – Kaiserschmarrn – which translated as the emperor’s mix up. One of the ship's cooks – from Louisiana, of all places – was very humorous and although I can’t say I liked the dessert much, it was fun to watch.

Wuerzburg Tuseday May 22

We continued sailing with the top deck closed, and arrived in a very industrial part of Wuerzburg at about 1 p.m. Busses took us into town for a walking tour through the Residence of the Prince-Bishops and into town. We sat and had cold drinks, then walked the main pedestrian mall. At 5:45 we met busses to take us back to the ship, and sailed at 9:45. These late sailings would have been wonderful if after dinner we could have gone up to the sky deck and watched the river, but closed is closed and were not allowed to even go up when we were in port.

Miltenberg Wednesday May 23

We sailed in the morning, ant at 11 a.m. Hans gave a lecture on Germany’s past. We seized the chance to sit on the front deck, and from speaking to those who attended didn’t miss much. At 12 p.m. we arrived in Miltenberg, and there was a walking tour at 2. We elected to walk into town ourselves and thoroughly enjoyed wandering around the lovely medieval part of town. We left at 5:45, and before dinner had a demonstration on Vanille Keiferl Baking. It was great fun, mostly because of the very funny German lady who was the chef.

After dinner the crew show – this is a new crew on a new ship and they aren’t quite ready for Broadway yet.

Ruedesheim/Coblenz Thursday, May 24

At last the sky deck is open!!! We arrived in Ruedesheim early, at about 11:30 and decided not to take the little train up to the Musical Museun. Instead we walked through town, and met the tour at the museum. Ruedesheim is a very pretty town with lots of beer gardens, entertainment and good souvenir shopping. The museum is marvelous – just not enough time to see even a part of it. We decided to take the cable car up the hill to the Germania monument. It is quite reasonable – about 8 euros, and worth every penny. You sit in a tiny cable car – just enough room for two, and swing high over the vineyards. We walked back to the ship and left at 4:15. In the afternoon we cruised the Rhine Gorge and it is as beautiful as we remembered from a trip in 1965. This was a narrated tour, and Hans told us about some of the history of the area.

At 8 p.m. we arrived in Koblenz, went for a walk through town, found a pub with internet access, then walked back to ship and at on the top deck watching the lights of the city. The ship sailed very late – around 3 in the morning – but we were fast asleep by that time. At 4:30 we were to sail by the bridge at Remagen and the captain promised to shine the ships searchlights so those were interested could have a look, but although I would have liked to see it there was no way I wanted to get up!

Cologne Friday, May 25

Another early start, arriving at 8:30 and starting right away on a walking tour. The tour ended at the cathedral and we walked across to the Café Richard for a coffee. We had to dash for cover as a brief thunderstorm rumbled through the city, but it cleared up quickly and we walked through the pedestrian shopping area buying last minute souvenirs. We had lunch on shore, then wandered back to the ship.

This evening before dinner “La Strada” a classical group of two violins and a guitar performed for us, and because we kept them playing they did not leave until the ship was pulling away at 6:45. Tonight was the Champagne Reception and Farewell Gala Dinner – this meant that we were handed a glass of champagne as we entered the dining room, touched glasses with the Captain, and after dinner met the crew.

Amsterdam Saturday, May 26

Woke up to rain – but it stopped by the time we got to Amsterdam around 1 p.m. (not sure of the exact time – can’t find my daily schedule) In the morning Hans gave a disembarkation talk – how nice not to have to put your luggage out until the morning. We docked within walking distance of downtown so we decided to walk through the main area and meet with the others who were transferred by bus to the canal boat. The whole area was packed – it was the beginning a three day weekend in Europe. We walked for a while, then met the others for the canal boat tour. Very interesting and nice to see Amsterdam again (we were there for a couple of days last year before leaving on the Celebrity Century – and she was in port so that was nice, too). Dinner on board was spent saying goodbye to many new friends, then off to bed to get ready for a long day tomorrow.

Amsterdam May 27

We were asked to leave our cabins by 8 a.m. and waited for our bus to the airport in the lounge. Very nice to have no lines – all the crew pitches in to take suitcases to the busses and taxis. A good trip home – and to me that means my luggage arrives when I do!

I have been reading this board since we started planning the trip last year, and got so much good advice. I have to agree with the security issues – there was absolutely no security on our ship and although we had no trouble, and it was nice to be able to walk on and of the boat when ever you wanted to, the opportunity certainly exists for problems.

The food was good, and we certainly got enough to eat.

The passenger mix was a surprise – 80 Australians, 36 Americans, 24 Canadians, 16 from the UK, and 12 New Zealanders. The age average was 65.1, according to Hans, and everyone mixed well. The Australians were fun to travel with, and we certainly enjoyed making new friends from that part of the world.

Our cruise director was Hans, assisted by Jeanette who will take over on the next cruise. Some of the passengers found Hans unhelpful and irritating, and others liked him a lot. I guess it just depends on your experience with him .

I know that I have missed lots and if you have any questions I will be happy to answer. Please forgive the spelling mistakes - I am still dealing with jet lag combined with a cold (half the ship had a cold!)

All in all, we had a great time and would go again in a heart beat!

Thanks for the good review of the Tranquility. We've sailed with Avalon before and very interested in their new ships. If it was the same Hans that we had on the Poetry, I can understand the mixed reviews. Sorry the Sky Deck was closed. We have fond memories of sipping wine on the Sky Deck as we watched the beautiful scerery go by. Where was you cabin? We too, would go back in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your review. We are doing the same cruise in July on the Tranquility also.

I do have some questions please.

Why was the sky deck closed? I am very disappointed about that.

Did most people go to the meeting place hotel or did they go directly to the ship? We are arriving a day early so I would like to plan our time.

Where did the ship dock in Budapest?

I was hoping not to get Hans as our CD.There has been so many complaints about him!Is Jeanette taking over this tour for good or will Hans be back? What is Jeanette like?

I know you said the food was plentiful and good.?Do you happen to have a sample menu?

Did you feel that you had enough free time? Were the early morning starts to stressful and tiring?

I have traveled with Aussies several times on land tours and always really enjoyed them!:D

Thanks for the heads up on the Danube Bend trip. I will not take it now. Was there any optional that you felt was worth doing and you would do again?

Thank you so much for the times in port!:)

I'll try to answer your questions.

The skydeck was closed because we were just to high to fit under the bridges. At first only the sun shades were lowered, and we were asked to leave, and could return after we passed under the bridge, but as the trip went on they closed the deck completely. Railings and chairs were folded flat, and chains were put across the stairs. I don't think the water was terribly high, just that the ship is very big. We, too, were terribly disappointed.

Our cabin was located on the Indigo (middle) deck, about half way down. We loved the French windows and often had them open, especially in the morning. We were worried a bit about insect visitors, but had no problems.

Most of the people met at the cafe. We were not allowed to board until 4, and it made a convenient place to leave our luggage. The ship was in a convenient location, almost across the street from the Central Market and just a short walk from the pedestrian area and the Chain Bridge. If you decide to walk into town, there was a pedestrian tunnel to cross the busy tracks and street.

I don't know how they allocate the cruise directors. Jeanette will be on the cruise that is running now, but no idea for how long she will be on the Tranquility. She is very nice - Dutch, speaks about 7 languages. We didn't have much to do with her, but she seemed OK.

Sorry, I don't have a sample menu, but can tell you that most nights there was a choice of three starters, two soups and a fish, meat or chicken, or vegetarian entree, and usually two desserts - one ice cream and one something else. Chicken medallions and salmon steak was always available. I tried the salmon and the chicken, and once had a vegetarian lasagna that was delicious. There seemed to be a lot of pork - always well prepared and delicious, but still, a lot of pork! Lamb was served two or three nights (the nights that I had the alternative selections). Portions are not large, but we were always full by the end. Breakfast was a typical buffet, with some nice extras like omelets to order and smoked salmon. Lunch buffets were very good - sometimes I thought they were better than dinner!

Hope this helps.

Pat

I'll have to write up my review soon! We did pass you, and waved (from the Poetry) :)

We had Andrzej for a CD. He was absolutely fabulous!

Our sky deck was also closed often on that stretch of the trip because of the low bridges.

And I would clarify that there wasn't a complete lack of security, as they did lock the doors when we were docked at night. You had to have the code to get in, but we were sailing most nights to the next port.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello paterry,

I am disappointed about the Sky Deck. Are there any other options for viewing. We are travelling in July. Several questions if you can help.

I understand dress on board is reasonably casual but what about dinner for both men and women, in particular the Captains Dinners and the Welcome Dinner. How "dressy" is dressy for both sexes.

I believe there is a laundry facility on board. How does it work, prices etc. Do you have any information. We will be touring for several weeks before the cruise and will need to catch up with laundry somewhere. Even on holidays it does not go away.

Thank you

Hello paterry,

I am disappointed about the Sky Deck. Are there any other options for viewing. We are travelling in July. Several questions if you can help.

I understand dress on board is reasonably casual but what about dinner for both men and women, in particular the Captains Dinners and the Welcome Dinner. How "dressy" is dressy for both sexes.

I believe there is a laundry facility on board. How does it work, prices etc. Do you have any information. We will be touring for several weeks before the cruise and will need to catch up with laundry somewhere. Even on holidays it does not go away.

Thank you

I know I'm not paterry, but I thought I could answer some of your questions (having been on a sister ship)....

You can usually go out in front of the lounge, even if the sky deck is closed, and also on the top level, there are 2 doors on either side that afford nice views.

The dressiest dinner was the Captain's dinner. Most men wore jackets, if I recall correctly, but that may change with the weather warming up. I wore a short cocktail dress, but was probably a little dressier than most.

They have laundry services, where they'll do your laundry for a fee. It's somewhat expensive. We took woolite and were able to wash out most of what needed cleaning desperately...

Hello paterry,

Thank you

The lounge is available for sightseeing as is the front deck.

I wonder if the water was really high or what? I am not surprised it was closed for going under the bridges but you would think it would be open once the bridges were cleared.

I don't know which cruise you are on but we are traveling with our friends from Budapest to Amsterdam 7/7 on the Tranquility. From what others have said it sounds like the dress is more like the coach tours than the big ship cruises. I have been on several coach tours with Globus and the dress was very casual. Many times people wore for dinner the same thing they wore during the day touring,no shorts of course. We dressed up little for the farewell dinner and than the women wore either a very casual dress or skirt or dressy slacks with a nice top. I never saw any of the men wear a tie or a suit. There was an occasional sportcoat but mostly the men wore dockers and a collared shirt. My DH and my friends DH are not bringing a sportcoat or tie which of course,like most guys makes them very happy:D .

The bridges on the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal are quite low and therefore the ships have to flatten down everything on the sun deck. It´s not a question of the water level in the canal as this is staying the same all over the year :D (it´s a canal no river with locks at each end to keep the water and of course many locks inbetween).

All the rivers are low due to the hot weather and the lack of rain.

steamboats

I envy you the trip! The dress is quite casual - most people cleaned up a bit at dinner, but even for the captain's farewell dinner only a few men wore ties. Of course, some liked to get more dressed up, but there were certainly no sequins or beaded gowns!

You could view the river from the lounge, or from the small deck outside the lounge at the front of the boat. There were only 16 chairs there, though, and that was where the smokers congregated. And of course, you could sit in your cabin with the door open.

No laundry facilities, although staff will do it for you at a fairly substantial price. Some of our fellow travelers who had been away for a while said they just counted that as part of the cruise - after all, they didn't have to buy wine with dinner.

Regards

Pat

Thank you for the reply's; only one further question. Was there any problem accessing autobanks in the ports of call. We have travelled in Europe before and never had a problem.

Thank you

Archived