Ship Jumper in Jail

This guy was a complete sicko and the world would likely be a better place if he had not been rescued. However, the boy that he was with was 16 years old and SHOULD have been capable of better judgment.

:mad: Are you serious....you think the 16 yrs old judgement had any factor in the abuse. You are wrong, a victim is a victim; and the child, I dont care if he is 5 or 17 is a child. Is a woman not raped because she is "old enough"? Your comments are sad and distructive and I believe way off base. A predator manipulates and abuses, he manipulates the child and the parents and the attacker is the ONLY person to carry that blame, not the victim, the victims family or the victims friends.

:mad: Are you serious....you think the 16 yrs old judgement had any factor in the abuse. You are wrong, a victim is a victim; and the child, I dont care if he is 5 or 17 is a child. Is a woman not raped because she is "old enough"? Your comments are sad and distructive and I believe way off base. A predator manipulates and abuses, he manipulates the child and the parents and the attacker is the ONLY person to carry that blame, not the victim, the victims family or the victims friends.

People who have a pattern of abuse select victims because those people will not tell others. Specifically, they look for people with mental disorders, or low self esteem and pray on it. There is a whole list of things out there and it's not something I'm going to get into here, but it's almost a branch of psychology in and of itself.

I'm terribly sorry if I was unclear and my comments upset you. I absolutely was NOT blaming the victim. There had been several prior comments blaming the parents for allowing their child to be in these circumstances. What I was trying to say, albeit maybe not in the most concise manner was that an emotionally healthy child from an emotionally healthy family would not be susceptible to the sort of manipulation that this kind of predator uses - nor would they be a target. Parenting is certainly a factor here, but it was not merely the decision to allow a sixteen year old to go on the trip that caused the situation. Please reread what I said with a more open mind and maybe you will see what I meant.

I'm terribly sorry if I was unclear and my comments upset you. I absolutely was NOT blaming the victim. There had been several prior comments blaming the parents for allowing their child to be in these circumstances. What I was trying to say, albeit maybe not in the most concise manner was that an emotionally healthy child from an emotionally healthy family would not be susceptible to the sort of manipulation that this kind of predator uses - nor would they be a target. Parenting is certainly a factor here, but it was not merely the decision to allow a sixteen year old to go on the trip that caused the situation. Please reread what I said with a more open mind and maybe you will see what I meant.

Sure predators look for families and kids they can exploit. But the victim is still the victim and I must disagree with the view you espouse. But, I'm sure the defense would want individuals with this mindset on the jury.

Sure predators look for families and kids they can exploit. But the victim is still the victim and I must disagree with the view you espouse. But, I'm sure the defense would want individuals with this mindset on the jury.

The defense would want someone that thinks the guy that abused that poor kid should have been hung by his b***s from the ship's anchor and that the whole family desperately needs some counseling before this happens to the kid again or to one of their other kids? Fine. By all means, send me my jury card in the mail. I'm there.

What I was trying to say . . . was that an emotionally healthy child from an emotionally healthy family would not be susceptible to the sort of manipulation that this kind of predator uses - nor would they be a target.

I'm sorry my CC friend, but you could NOT be more wrong on this one. Might they be a less likely target? Yes.

Are they not susceptible?

EVERY child is susceptible to an "experienced" predator once they have decided on a victim. It may take more time and effort on the predator's part, but every child is susceptible.

I wasn't going to add anything to this thread, but I have some personal experience in this regard and decided that I did not have the right to withhold that. Sorry.

My post was harsh...I'm sorry. I agree that you can't blame the parents, and I agree that parents put their children in danger in many different ways. I am glad that you did not intend to blame the victim.

Maybe we can both agree that the decisions parents make can put our children at risk and I also think we can both agree that SOME predators would not pick a child from an emotionally healthy family because the child would not be as EASILY tricked. I also think we can both agree that some predators pick any child from any family.

I am sorry for kind of attacking in my last email; sometimes I hit the send button too quickly.

I'm sorry my CC friend, but you could NOT be more wrong on this one. Might they be a less likely target? Yes.

Are they not susceptible?

EVERY child is susceptible to an "experienced" predator once they have decided on a victim. It may take more time and effort on the predator's part, but every child is susceptible.

I wasn't going to add anything to this thread, but I have some personal experience in this regard and decided that I did not have the right to withhold that. Sorry.

Rooster... I'm so sorry that you have personal experience in this regard. I can only hope that you meant experience in regards to being prey vs. predator as your words were not entirely clear on that point.

I stand corrected. Every child is susceptible, albeit, some much more than others. We do not have a window into this teenager's life. The point that I was trying to make is that the decision of the parents to allow him to go on this trip was not the be all end all deciding factor in this situation. Sadly, the boy was probably being abused for quite some time prior to his trip. He probably very much wanted to go and both he and his abuser most likely did a very good job selling his parents on the reasons why he should. I'm not blaming him for this... I'm merely stating what I understand to be the facts of the abuser/abusee relationship. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

His parents are probably only now looking back and realizing that there were signs that should have been red flags. It is a sad thing in our society that we have taught ourselves to consistently ignore our better instincts for self preservation in order to remain politically correct. How many women have ignored the fear in the pit of their belly when a man approaches them and offers to help carry their packages? They don't want to offend him. Sometimes this situation works out fine... sometimes not.

I too have been a victim... both as a very young child and a young adult. I'm not talking out of my a$$. Nobody is to blame for this situation but the abuser... which is the long winded point I've been trying to make all along. It was not the parent's fault... nor was it the boy's.

I hear you loud & clear. Thanks for coming back in with that. I know your head is in the right place with this, and I'm sorry to hear of your victimization. Nothing could possibly ... well, suck ... worse. If I could remove just one of the many evils in the world, this would most certainly be the one.

That being said, I just remembered that this is Cruise Critic ... meant for happy and informative talk. Apologies to all if I brought anyone down! Since I've only been on one cruise before, and that wasn't on RCCL, I can't help out too much with the informative stuff, but I CAN promise that my next post will contain happy stuff!......funny stuff, maybe even!

I hear you loud & clear. Thanks for coming back in with that. I know your head is in the right place with this, and I'm sorry to hear of your victimization. Nothing could possibly ... well, suck ... worse. If I could remove just one of the many evils in the world, this would most certainly be the one.

That being said, I just remembered that this is Cruise Critic ... meant for happy and informative talk. Apologies to all if I brought anyone down! Since I've only been on one cruise before, and that wasn't on RCCL, I can't help out too much with the informative stuff, but I CAN promise that my next post will contain happy stuff!......funny stuff, maybe even!

Once again.. No worries... and me too! Me too! Happy, Happy, funny, cruising stuff! With one exception... (or maybe not, depending on how you look at it) Doncha wish they still had "the plank"! Then a$$holes like that guy wouldn't have to toss themselves off the ship! :)

Hello,

I want to apologize if my post regarding parents responsibility offended anyone. It is easy to make judgement without knowing all of the underlying facts. It is my hope that this individual never be allowed to walk the streets again, as this is a horrible crime.

In the future I will refrain from posting on these boards,or responding to posts. Thank you

Hello,

I want to apologize if my post regarding parents responsibility offended anyone. It is easy to make judgement without knowing all of the underlying facts. It is my hope that this individual never be allowed to walk the streets again, as this is a horrible crime.

In the future I will refrain from posting on these boards,or responding to posts. Thank you

????????????????????????????????????????:confused:

Cruise Critic is meant to inform, imo. It's not always happy talk, not in the least. There are so many members that people are going to disagree, all the time. As long as everyone respects the rights of others to speak their peace, it's nice to read other thoughts on issues.

Hello,

Why? The ability to agree to disagree is what makes us AMERICANS! It's a fantastic and wonderful thing. The internet has made it even easier for people of all walks of life, from places all over the globe, to come together in a public forum and discuss anything and everything. It's amazing really. This thread started with a simple comment about a cruise ship jumper that happened to be much more than he seemed (in our forum, we don't have to assume innocence until guilt is proven if we don't wish to) and has gone from that to something of a debate about parenting, victimization, and now we're off to freedom of speech. Isn't it wonderful? Granted, I'm surprised that the thread hasn't been locked, but I'm hoping that it won't be. I don't think anyone here has been rude or nasty and technically, we are still talking about a guy that jumped off a cruise ship, right? ;)

Nliedel, This is even more off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I've buzzed through your blog and think a) you're a great writer and b) that it's really cool that I'm famous now! :D

Ciao... NRH

Always happy to bestow fame on the little people NRH! Snort.

Um, I do need to correct you. We are not all Americans. There is a HUGE British contingent, as well as a lively crew from our neighbors to the north. CC is a global group. Spreading free speech to the world. LOL!

Always happy to bestow fame on the little people NRH! Snort.

Many Thanks! If I keep at it, maybe someday I'll be a "D" list celebrity...like that red headed comedian. What's her name?

Um, I do need to correct you. We are not all Americans. There is a HUGE British contingent, as well as a lively crew from our neighbors to the north. CC is a global group. Spreading free speech to the world. LOL!

I stand corrected...

That's what I was trying to say with the "all over the globe" part... alas, I was unclear and failed to make my point... which is why you are a writer and I am not.

Archived