Long Beach Pre Cruise Stay

hallsuk2

Hello,

I have booked a cruise for Oct 2008 on Serenade of the Seas through the canal.It was originally departing San Diego and I had planned 3 or 4 days in San Diego pre cruise.For reasons I am not sure as yet it would appear that it will now leave Los Angeles(assuming San Pedro).This has not been confirmed yet by my U.K. agent.This news has come from the roll call on this board.However I am trying to plan ahead and am looking at Los Angeles for a pre cruise stay.

I have no experience of Los Angeles but after some investigation today I am considering the Long Beach area.(Queen Mary being one of the attractions)Is this feasible to get a cab on departure day to the San Pedro pier.Can someone give me some idea of distance and costs involved?Do you think the Long Beach area has enough to keep me occupied

Any input would be gratefully received.

Thank You,

Iain

There's alot to do in Long Beach, it's a destination all by itself! There's a great Aquarium, the Queen Mary, lots of shops and restaurants, theatres, arcades etc... It's very close to San Pedro, about a 5 to 10 minute drive across harbor.

If you do end up leaving from San Pedro LA instead of San Diego think about getting a precruise hotel in Long Beach. I have stayed in San Pedro and Long Beach. Much prefer LB. It is only about 10 minutes from the pier and I would guess about a $20-$30 cab/car ride. (I could be wrong on that as I took a shuttle service.) There are plenty of cabs and the hotel guys can call you one when you are ready to go in the morning. I have stayed at the Hilton, Westin and the Hyatt Regency. The Hyatt is right at the marina with plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The aquarium in LB is fun and do-able the morning of the cruise.

We stayed in Long Beach for a few nights before our sailing out of San Pedro. We enjoyed the area. We stayed at the Hyatt in Long Beach which was quite nice along with its great location. From the hotel we could walk to many areas around town. A cab ride will be about 15-20 minutes and should run about twenty US dollars.

Keith

We are doing a 3 day pre-cruise in October of this year...we're planning on staying at the Westin and spending a whole day doing the shops, aquarium etc. For the other day we are going to take a tour offered by sunseeker tours. They pick you up at your hotel in Long Beach and spend a whole day taking you to all the "touristy" spots in LA/Hollywood. They have a website which is http://www.sunseekertour.com I spoke with Ken who was super nice and helpful. Since we won't have a car nor do we want to drive one there...this was a good option for us.

We are doing a 3 day pre-cruise in October of this year...we're planning on staying at the Westin and spending a whole day doing the shops, aquarium etc. For the other day we are going to take a tour offered by sunseeker tours. They pick you up at your hotel in Long Beach and spend a whole day taking you to all the "touristy" spots in LA/Hollywood. They have a website which is www.sunseekertour.com I spoke with Ken who was super nice and helpful. Since we won't have a car nor do we want to drive one there...this was a good option for us.

You just solved a huge dilemma for me! This Hollywood tour from Long Beach is EXACTLY what I've been looking for and till now had not found! Thanks a million! :D

Remember that there are two seperate ports in the area. Long Beach (right next to the Queen Mary) is a Carnival port. RCI & others use San Pedro. My travel agent got confused a few years ago, and set us up in a hotel "within walking distance" of the port. Unfortunately, it was the wrong port. Cab was about $20 plus tip for 3 of us. 15-20 minutes drive time, if I remember right.

SkiorCruise

You just solved a huge dilemma for me! This Hollywood tour from Long Beach is EXACTLY what I've been looking for and till now had not found! Thanks a million! :D

I'm so glad! Hey if you take this tour before October, stop back here and let me know how it was. Hope you have a great time!

I'm so glad! Hey if you take this tour before October, stop back here and let me know how it was. Hope you have a great time!

You'll be there prior to me, so I will have to count on your review! I have done a similar tour in LA many years ago and enjoyed it very much. This sounds like the same tour only it starts in Long Beach instead of downtown LA which is exactly what I needed! I was going to spend one night precruise near Hollywood just to be able to be picked up for an LA city tour and then move to a Long Beach hotel for the next couple of days. Now I can spend the whole pre-cruise stay in one hotel in Long Beach and STILL take my LA tour! :D

Archived