How Concerned Should I Be With Celebrity Air?

cujosmom

We are booked on a South American cruise that sails round-trip from Sao Paulo, Brazil in November. I've booked the cruise with the air included because there is just no way I can get round-trip airfare from San Antonio to Sao Paulo, Brazil and back, including transfers, for $600 p.p.

I can do custom air for no charge (I'm Elite status) but airfare alone is currently running about $1400 p.p. right now and the custom air dept will charge me the "difference". Don't want to do that.

Celebrity won't book our flights until 60 days prior to sail date which is 10 days after final payment. If they stick us on a terrible itinerary or in horrible seat assignments, am I just stuck because I've already made my final payment at that point?

Remember, I'd book my own (which I've always done in the past) but there's no way I can come close to $600 p.p. including transfers.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have your contacted your TA or Celebrity Air to determine if there is an extra charge for the flights you would like? We used custom air and although when checking the airline's web site the flights we chose were higher priced, we were able to get them at no additional charge through custom air. Our TA handled it for us.

We did use Celebrity air on another cruise without using custom air and while the flights weren't ideal, they were fine. We even got upgraded to business class on one segment of the flight.

Liz

We used Celebrity Air to the Mediterranean and to Alaska...

...and we could not have done any better with flights on our own...

I would not hesitate to use them again...in fact, I've booked the Connie Baltic cruise for July 2008 WITH the air...and will likely keep it that way...

We have used Celebrity air and have had deviations with no extra charges. The additional airfare comes in if you want to fly an airline or use a hub that Celebrity doesn't use or if you want to upgrade to business or first class.

Our TA finds out what airlines Celebrity is using and lets us pick from them. We have had our flights and seats for our Nov 18 Med cruise since Feb. Using custom air, we have the airline and routing we wanted and are arriving 2 days early for no extra charge at a much lower rate than I could book it myself for a one way flight (we are doing a back to back cruise- Venice to Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale and then are spending some time in Ft Myers afterward).

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I booked directly with Celebrity - no TA involved - no Bus or 1st class.

The flight itinerary I would like (Continental via Houston) was quoted to me to be basically us paying the difference between the $1400 and the $600.

Who does Celebrity normally use for their "preferred" airline carrier? Delta? Maybe I'll check some more airline options and see if they can do it for the price they are offering but most of the carriers are charging pretty much the same price from what I see.

Quick smart go find yourself an agent (AAA, perhaps if you don't know anyone else) and transfer booking to them. Make sure that agent still belongs to the airline booking consortium as that is where a good TA earns their commissions - they can check flights as well as availability and get the cruise line to put their passengers on the flights they want. Mine is so good she can even get frequent flyer routings for me!

Who does Celebrity normally use for their "preferred" airline carrier? Delta?
Our entire family of 10 had Delta through Celebrity Air from 3 separate cities in December (including Newark- a Continental hub). My parents recently used the air for their TA return from their Century cruise and again were flown on Delta.

I think a lot of folks have misconceptions about what cruise line air programs try to do or not do...

Some folks think they purposely put you on "bad" flights or have some incentive to fill up red-eyes or flight itineraries with 2 or 3 stops...They DON'T...

What they DO try to do is to put everybody onto the SAME flight, if possible...

Let's say you are sailing out of Barcelona...It is in the cruise line's interest to put everyone onto flights that CONNECT onto the SAME flight into Barcelona...That way, they can send a single bus to the airport (since transfers are included) to pick up a large number of passengers...So, let's say one of their preferred airlines has a flight from JFK direct to Barcelona, they will send all of their NYC passengers on that flight and they will send passengers from other cities on connecting flights through JFK...Now, let's say you live in Atlanta and Delta has a better situation for you--a nonstop from Atlanta to Barcelona...Well, there's a good chance they're not putting you on it--you'll have to change planes at JFK with everyone else...

When we flew from LAX to Alaska for our cruise tour, they put us on a "direct one-stop" to Fairbanks by way of Seattle (Same plane, but it stopped in Seattle to pick up passengers)...When we stopped in Seattle, we were joined on the plane by passengers on our cruisetour coming in from other parts of the country on connecting flights...Our flight home from Vancouver was a nonstop...

Obviously, your chances of getting a nonstop increase with the number of nonstops from your city to the port city and IF your airport is a typical "hub"...

If you live in Boise, Idaho or Akron, Ohio, chances are you are going to change planes somewhere even if you book it yourself...

They also try to book flights that get to the embarlkation city with plenty of time on the day of the cruise or which leave the debarkation city a decent interval after the cruise unloads...

I typically want to get to my cruise city a day or two (or more) early and often want to stay a day or two extra before going home...

I do this with cruise air in one of two ways:

I book the hotel packages through the ship if reasonable enough...Please note that you will most likely pay a fairly steep premium for this option...But, remember, you will save paying for your own ground transportation and you will not have to pay any deviation fee or fare increment...You just need to judge whether the hotel package cost makes sense under these criteria...I, for one, am often willing to pay the extra just to have the cruise line deal with the logistics...

The other way is to do a deviation and NOT call the exact flight...I merely ask for a deviation to fly in or out on a different day and let the cruise line book my flight...They will typically find me flights on their prefered carriers which meet my criteria on the date I arrive or depart--which likely doesn't mean any additional fare other than the deviation fee, which, being an Elite Captains Club member, is waived...

I actually did this with Oceania on my recent Istanbul to Venice cruise...I could not find airfare on my own for any decent flights that was cheaper than what Oceania was charging me--even with the deviation fee and the small amount of the "difference"...Under this scenario, Oceania had little incentive but to find me the best flights on their preferred carriers and I ended up with excellent one-stop flights and times in each direction (No, I don't think there are any nonstops LA to Istanbul or Venice to LA)...

Let's say you are sailing out of Barcelona...It is in the cruise line's interest to put everyone onto flights that CONNECT onto the SAME flight into Barcelona...That way, they can send a single bus to the airport (since transfers are included) to pick up a large number of passengers...So, let's say one of their preferred airlines has a flight from JFK direct to Barcelona, they will send all of their NYC passengers on that flight and they will send passengers from other cities on connecting flights through JFK...Now, let's say you live in Atlanta and Delta has a better situation for you--a nonstop from Atlanta to Barcelona...Well, there's a good chance they're not putting you on it--you'll have to change planes at JFK with everyone else...

Thanks Steve. That's how I figured it would work and why I am concerned. While San Antonio is a "decent sized city", we always have to fly to a major hub to go anywhere. So for us, if you use your scenerio above, it is very possible, should Celebrity use Delta for instance, they could very possibly could send us San Antonio, Houston, Atlanta and then to Miami or JFK depending where everyone else is coming from and then on to Sao Paulo. Could make a very long day and night and as you know every time you have to stop and change planes, your odds increase for problems be it overbooking, weather or mechanical problems.

The thing that makes me the craziest is you don't know what you'll get until AFTER final payment and then you stuck if it sucks.

In the past (on RCCL) when I flew to Florida from California for a cruise, the cruise line flew me in the day before and gave me a free room. Does Celebrity do that too? Or will they stick me with a red-eye. It's been a while, but I think I did the air deviation to avoid a red eye and they gave me a free room. My son did it too. He actually pre-booked a hotel room on his own and when the docs arrived it showed he had a free room at the Miami Hyatt.

Hi Cujosmom - Been reading this thread. I know you're really concerned about the route you will be taking. (So am I for our flights.) I'm really prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best, because the people on our trip that booked air with Celebrity got a fantastic deal. (The people who booked air with the cruise prior to ours...Miami to Sao Paulo...got an even better deal). I think "usual" Celebrity air might be different because of the sale...but then again, they had to contract with the airlines before they could offer us this price. Look at it this way...it will add to the excitement and mystery of being on Journey. ;)

Hi Cujosmom,

Want to see Mexico City??? I just pulled up some random dates in November. AeroMexico, via Mexico City flies NONSTOP from San Antonio, with an 8 hour layover, then nonstop to GRU. On the return, only a 4 hour layover. Nonstop from SAT is a real surprise. Price is higher than what you currently have booked on X, but certainly lower than the custom air price. $1059.00pp, all in.

AA flies SAT/DFW/GRU for $1215.00 all in. LOTS of flights out of SAT to DFW. Almost all flights on AA to South America out of either DFW or MIA leave after 7:00PM. The GRU flight leaves at 7:45PM, arrives GRU 10:00AM.

Just offering up some options.

I think "usual" Celebrity air might be different because of the sale...but then again, they had to contract with the airlines before they could offer us this price. Look at it this way...it will add to the excitement and mystery of being on Journey. ;)

Sandy - I know you know how obsessed I am with this air deal since I've been whining about it on our roll call lately. Actually, the "air deal of $600" is only for balcony and above cabins. Inside and Outside cabins still have the $1449 air add on which I think is kind of weird but that is how we were able to go from an inside to a balcony and keep our same total cruise price. Not sure when it involves air travel these days if "excitement and mystery" is what I'm looking for :eek: LOL

AeroMexico, via Mexico City flies NONSTOP from San Antonio, with an 8 hour layover, then nonstop to GRU. On the return, only a 4 hour layover. Nonstop from SAT is a real surprise.

GreatAm - Actually know about that flight as it is about $150 less than AA, Continental or Delta offerings....but an 8 hour layover - I'd rather not;) My preferred flight is San Antonio to Houston (usually less weather related problems than DFW) on Continental which also has an non-stop Houston to Sao Paulo. But Custom Air is quoting me almost $600 pp differential to use it (or the Delta non-stop from Atlanta-same thing). May end up using freq flyer miles but we're talking LOTS of miles.

I'll just keep worrying and obsessing for a while longer. :o

Sorry - Don't want to make light of your concern. I did just get an e-mail from a friend who we met on another cruise, and he's on the cruise before us...Miami to Sao Paulo. He said he just called custom air and was able to get what he wanted...as soon as he had his booking number. I just tried, but they are just taking e-mails for custom air requests at this time "due to increased volume". I wrote and asked for the Delta direct from JFK and back. Who knows. ;)

Sandy - Call back to the Custom Air Dept. Ignore the fact they say to email request because they never respond. Just pick the closest option to get a rep. I will be anxious to hear what they tell you. Maybe I am giving them too specific flights/times.

I just returned from British Isles cruise on Century. I booked a specific flight through TA and Celebrity, before final payment (non-stop Boston-Amsterdam both r/t, for added $75 pp convenience fee - our 1st Celebrity cruise, so no Elite status consideration). The price of air remained the same (quite a bit more than on my own, but peace of mind and xfers were worth it at the time). When we received our cruise docs, I was a good do-bee and went to NWA web to confirm and select seats, as recommended (the ones assigned weren't very good, but I was able to change them at that time).

HOWEVER, upon attempting online check-in the night before the flight, I was informed by the airline website that the confirmation # was invalid (it had been valid a month previously) and then, by a service rep, that the reservation was refunded (say what?:eek: ). Upon calling Celebrity 800 number for flight issues, I was abruptly given a NEW confirmation #, which worked, but had us back in bad seats across the aisle from each other, which I was unable to change online, since the flight was apparently now full. Fortunately, we were able to improve our seat assignment at the gate in Boston. Unfortunately, we were unable to in Amsterdam, and were across the aisle and down one from each other on the return. (the rows don't line up back in the tail.)

In spite of that, I would still consider booking cruise line air in certain circumstances, but I would definitely monitor the reservation closely as the time approached. I'm only guessing that Celebrity got some sort of new pricing closer to the flight or something. That's fine, but I feel I should have been contacted when my confirmation # changed, so I wouldn't panic (ya think?), and so I could re-confirm the seat assignments.

To be honest, this was my first time using any cruise line's air arrangements, so I can't say the problem was specific to Celebrity, or if this is something one might run into on any line.

HOWEVER, upon attempting online check-in the night before the flight, I was informed by the airline website that the confirmation # was invalid (it had been valid a month previously) and then, by a service rep, that the reservation was refunded (say what?:eek: ).

I would have had a heart attack at that point!! Thank you for you recent experience.

If Custom Air is no extra charge, why would they charge you extra for the difference? Because the fare has gone up since your original booking?

We almost always do our own air, too, but not to farther away places, like Alaska (Cruise/tour included air), Europe or next Jan. to Aust/NZ.

We were told the only airports flying to our Aust/NZcruise from OH were Cleve., Columbus and Cincy because it was a first-time itinerary. We live 15 min. from the Dayton airport and were bummed about having to drive over an hour for flights and mess with parking or finding a merciful friend/relative to drive us and/or put us up the night before or after. But we found out from a fellow cruiser, who lives near us, that we could get Custom Air from Dayton at no extra charge and our TA arranged it for us. Not just the airport deviation, the whole string of flights. Of course, we did this less than 6 weeks after the initial booking so maybe the prices had not gone up yet.

Another thing I don't understand is why they can't tell you now what the flights are. We were told right away in mid-March. Maybe because it is a Custom Air package they do it sooner.

1/02 Explorer E. CArib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

If Custom Air is no extra charge, why would they charge you extra for the difference? Because the fare has gone up since your original booking?

Another thing I don't understand is why they can't tell you now what the flights are. We were told right away in mid-March. Maybe because it is a Custom Air package they do it sooner.

Here is my post with a pretty good explanation of how "cruise air" and "air deviation works". Maybe this will answer some of the questions why some people get "GREAT" cruise air and some people have miserable experiences.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322&highlight=%22air+deviation%22

We are sailing on the Summit to Alaska at the end of June and booked our flights thru Celebrity. The docs arrived and we checked the flight arrangements and everything was fine. Today I went to check on our seats and found the price Celebrity paid for my flights were half of what I paid. My TA said there was probably nothing that can be done but I'm pretty upset about it. Anyone have any experience with getting money back from Celebrity?

We are sailing on the Summit to Alaska at the end of June and booked our flights thru Celebrity. The docs arrived and we checked the flight arrangements and everything was fine. Today I went to check on our seats and found the price Celebrity paid for my flights were half of what I paid. My TA said there was probably nothing that can be done but I'm pretty upset about it. Anyone have any experience with getting money back from Celebrity?

Read my post above. X contracted with the airlines for your seats at least nine months ago, more likely a year. Nothing you can do.

The airlines sell the cruiselines xxx number of seats at xxx price. The cruiseline can sell the seats for whatever the traffic will bear.

Read my post above. X contracted with the airlines for your seats at least nine months ago, more likely a year. Nothing you can do.

The airlines sell the cruiselines xxx number of seats at xxx price. The cruiseline can sell the seats for whatever the traffic will bear.

I agree. In this case, Celebrity isn't a travel agency searching for the best "deal" on air fare they can find for you. They bought the seats wholesale from the airline and are selling them retail to the consumer. Just another component of their revenue stream.

Today I went to check on our seats and found the price Celebrity paid for my flights were half of what I paid. My TA said there was probably nothing that can be done but I'm pretty upset about it

You have to realize part of the 'premium' you paid was for Celebrity to handle your air arrangements. By paying this premium, you were able to concentrate on other things more important to you than shopping for air fare and let them do all the "work". Also, since you're on Summit, I assume the price you paid for your air arrangements includes transfers to or from Anchorage/Seward, right? That is an additional cost over and above the air fare.

It was highly suggested that I let Celebrity do all my work for me. All that talk about being responsible for getting us to the ship on time! I believed it all. As I am aware of how business works I can't believe paying double for the air fare is fair. Also the whole story is we are on the cruisetour starting in Anchorage so the only transfers are from airport to hotel. I also found in the docs that if you book your own air and tell Celebrity the transfers are complimentary. Not a good start for my first cruise with Celebrity AND my first time with this TA.

Archived