RCCI Inside Passage route

emliss

Hello,

Does anyone know the usual Inside Passage (Seward to Vancouver) route taken by RCCI? I realize it's the Inside Passage but apparently there are variations of this route and if I had some "landmarks", I might be able to figure it out from a map of that area. Someone had mentioned (on another thread) some spots worth watching and that got me thinking. I would love to visually identify the area we are cruising to a map with those spots.

PS. As youcan see I don't know squat about sailing so I may have incorrectly used the term route but you know what I mean. :>)

Thanks.

Sorry- the best way to get the specific route, is to listen to the daily bridge report from the cpt. The routes can and do vary, potential for differences.

You should be able to get a general routing by following your itinerary and port locations. As an example- RCI definately just cuts across the Gulf Of Alaska and does no coastal sailing until Hubbard.

So I suggest- get a DETAILED map. Listen to the Cpt. every day, and don't be shy about calling the bridge. I did several times, my trip a couple weeks ago, requesting timing information. This was NCL, but I've done it on RCI too.

Only the very general route is set by the company, while the specific channels to take, and the path within that channel, are set by the captain and pilot. I bought a sailing chart book last year, but found it to be too detailed so now I stick to the Alaska Atlas & Gazetteer - available at Amazon, http://www.youralaskacruise.com/books.html and many other places.

BQ and Yukon,

Thank you for your replys and advise. Am so pleased to see two of the CC members I have come to watch for great advise were the ones who provided some input!

I kinda figured variants make a difinitive route unlikely but...... I won't be shy about calling the bridge either. I'm hoping this won't be our first and last Alaskan cruise but just in case, I want to take in as much as I can. I don't consider the destination to be the sole adventure in a vacation.

Thanks and I'll keep lurking the boards for more of your expert input.

Archived