Maasdam May 19 - The saga continues

Gunters Oma

We are headed to the Confederation Bridge…but not due there until 8:00. We are going to sleep in - room service arrives at 6:20; wakeup call 6:30AM!

From the Captain's Log:

6:50AM NW winds - Force 6 (strong breeze) seas 4-7.5 ft - temp 37.9 degrees

2:18PM NW winds - Force 8 (gale) seas 4-7.5 ft - temp 38.7 degrees

We watch from the warmth of the Crow's Nest until the Confederation Bridge is well in sight. Up to the Sky Deck to get the best pictures possible. Now this is a cool thing to watch and I have a couple of really good shots…but as you leaving Montreal and traverse under that bridge - the clearance looks close just as close. Of course, that bridge is short and the Confederation Bridge goes on and on and on! In any event, we were duly impressed…it was worth braving the elements.

Breakfast in the dining room this morning. We have all the time in the world and it was such a good choice because Gunter meets a lady!!! The folks at the adjacent table started chatting with us…sisters and DH's. The conversation immediately turns to Gunter…but with a twist! The sisters have a travel buddy pig! Yes, kindred souls! After much joking, a DH goes to the cabin and we met…..Carmen Ham Diego!!! Woo hoo!!!!! A magnificent pig!!! This calls for a round of pictures (by both groups) and Gunter spends some time with Carmen! Could be a shipboard romance in the making. What we have here is a Kermit/Miss Piggy situation! (see picture below!) We clearly were enjoying ourselves, but we had to get ready for Charlottesville!

Well, it was not to be. The seas are too rough - tendering is not possible. The cruise director announces a new activity schedule will be posted at all the elevators in one half-hour. <sigh> I will post a "room for improvement notice". This wasn't the best way or the most accurate way to get the word to the masses…umm….passengers! Put it on the TV. Make sure you update it as you add or change activities. :(

We are off to wander the ship and look for entertainment! :rolleyes: We found Bear & Seal Droppings! What a hoot! You are on deck 7 in the atrium with three bean bag-type stuffed animals…a bear, a seal, and a moose! You then try to get these critters into a bucket on deck 6. The participants represented every age group.

We laughed, clapped, groaned when someone missed, cheered when they accomplished an accurate dropping. This was, indeed, a rowdy bunch! A dam dollar for trying plus a dollar for each successful drop. DH ended up with one dollar two LESS than me. He he he:D Gunter watched in amazement…but far away from the edge!

Played Name That Tune (Broadway…you had to name both the song and the play!) This was tough…our group was 4th, but we had fun. Two Ccer's were the winners - congratulations to Don and Ken!

Tried our hand at Team Trivia…again a fun group, but no win. The questions were on the difficult side - and asst. cruise director was disappointed we all did so well -- quite a few 10 or more. He said he likes it when the highest number is 4! What book has the characters Ralph and Piggy? What was the name of King Lear's favorite daughter?:confused:

Somewhere in there we went to the Lido for lunch. They had the biggest hunk of beef I have ever seen…it was a photo event - folks were lined up to catch a picture before it dwindled.

Tonight was Anything Goes. I will be surprised if this catches on…but it was obvious the dining room crew loved it! The dining room was decorated with a stuffed, ballooned-headed character and a doghouse - both of which defy description. Empty cans were hanging around the room. The waiters and assts. again defy description…but Anything Goes aptly describes their dress. Most folks dressed ultra casual…jeans, tee shirts, etc. A few people were dressed formal! DH wore an Hawaiian shirt and I wore dress jeans with a starfish Florida tee shirt with fuzzy bedroom slippers. Carmen's ladies had wonderful large pink hats and pink boas! The foolishness did not diminish the tastiness of the food!

Tonight was a busy one! We went to the Cast of the Maasdam show…On Track! This was the best show they did on the cruise. Truly entertaining!

Then up the Crow's Nest for the first half of the Classical Concert - with pianist Elena Palmer and The Champagne Strings. Excellent…we stayed for a set by both and then head to the Lounge for the Liars Club.

Folks…if you have never seen this - you really should. In the words of Larry the Cable Guy: "I don't care who you are…that's funny!" Chris Butcher, the cruise director - a very funny young woman (whose name I did not write down) and Elliot Maxx made up the panel. A quote from the Daily "See if you can tell who is telling the truth and who is telling a tale." It was hysterical…the panelists were laughing as hard as the audience! Give this a try!

Didn't realize until we were back in the cabin that we forgot the Crew show. We did get to see it on the TV. It was quite good and it is obvious the crew works very hard on the production.

G-Carmen2.jpg.4978d26a4f73cf58e71f74ef5390f7a0.jpg

Hi Jayne:

This is almost as much fun as being there. Hey, I know the answer to who was King Lear's favorite daughter, but Ralph and Piggy has me stumped.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Valerie:D

Archived