Anyone else like to see a cruise stop at Cuba?

redneck_dan

I would love it. Maybe it is the forbidden fruit thing.

This would be my ideal 7 day cruise from Galveston.

Sunday – Depart Galveston

Mon – At sea.

Tues – Key West

Weds. – Havana

Thurs. - Isla de la Juventud

Fri – Grand Cayman

Sat – At Sea

Sun – Back to Galveston

no, its the other countries who don't have embargoes :)

I wish castro would fall and they got that country back to something good. I'd love to visit this place where my grandparents came from.

Once, on Seabourn, the captain asked my grandparents if they'd like to go to cuba.

Well, not long after, my grandparents looked out and they were IN HAVANA HARBOR! They didn't dock but they got in and she got to see the city that she left in 1946.

Why would you be interested in propping up that dictatorship?:confused:

The cruise ships call on Martinique, which enhances the French economy, and France is a bigger threat to us than some aging tinhorn despot.

I think it would be interesting but when I was on the Imagination and we went by Cuba out of Jamacia the captian had to slow the ship down because there were so many rafts on the ocean, people trying to escape. It was so sad. :(

I think I can wait until they have a more welcoming contry before I visit. ;)

Its amazing how many people are mindless products of the American media. Cuba is not a trash dump, its a beautiful country as many of the Caribbean islands are. The schools and health system are good and sure theres crime but we still go to Jamaica and thats (per capita) the most crime ridden country in the world. The people are not overly wealthy but when you arent allowed to have anything to do with the largest country in the world, it makes a lack of money understandable. Its our fault they dont have the money that Grand Caymen does. I wouldent want to live there, as they dont have the same freedom to protest and bash everything that dosent mirror their own culture like we do, but I would love to visit. The rest of the world dosent seem to have a problem with Cuba at all. So what if Castro is in charge? Taking oppurtunities away from the people isnt going to solve anything. I think it would work great for a 7 day... even for a 4 day, maybe with a stop in Key West.

We have always been allowed to travel to Cuba. It has some of the best beaches in the world. But it also has terrible poverty. There is no money to fix up the historic and beautiful old buildings of Havana or any place else for that matter. A lot of the resorts are owned by foreign companies. Yes, Canada included. Most people from here that travel there take suitcases full of supplies for the locals. Personally I have no desire to go there and it has nothing to do with the politics. The Cuban people are lovely - very friendly.

Beth

Given the chance, most Cubans would love to get rid of Castro. Look how many escape by boat each year. The people of Cuba aren't free to decide anything. Castro rules with an iron fist. Look at how many civil rights activists were arrested this year for daring to speak up. Cuba jams outside radio and tv signals. Their economy is so screwed up after 40+ years of Communism that rationing is mandatory. Unless you have US dollars and then you can go to the special store and buy food, clothing and other necessities not available in the state stores. These are facts, easily verified. These are not the "mindless products of the American media". The people of Cuba are not wealthy but Castro and his cronies are. Communism does not allow for the private accumulation of wealth but somehow Castro and Co. have managed to become multi-millionaires. It is not the USA's fault that Cuba doesn't have the money that Grand Cayman has. Grand Cayman allows frees enterprise (capitalism) to flourish, Cuba is a totalitarian communist state. Allowing cruise ships to travel to or any other trade with Cuba from the US would only prolong the communist state and allow Castro and Co. to continue to oppress the Cuban people. This is my opinion. I'll get off my soapbox now.

... it would be no different than visiting any other third-world sewage dump, like Haiti or Jamaica. Been there, done those.

Ummm... some people would like to visit these "third-world sewage dumps" as you call them. :rolleyes:

Just because majority of the people live below the poverty line does not make the country itself uninteresting or the people less friendly.

Yes, I would love to visit Cuba some day & still have hope that one day that will be possible on a cruise out of the USA. :)

Would I like to sail to Cuba? Yes. Will I? Not until there is a regime change. I so feel for the poor people of Cuba who struggle to put food on the table thanks to a corrupt dictator. Calling it a sewage dump third world country is uncalled for. Not everyone is lucky to have been born and been able to immigrate to our wealthy country.

Archived