Crown - RT Bklyn - Cell Phone Use

muffydawg

DH and I will be sailing this Crown itinerary on Sept 6. I may need to bring my cell phone (T Mobile) so co-workers / my boss (hoping to land a new job soon) can contact me. It's 9 days to San Juan, St Thomas, Grand Turk and Bermuda.

I'm seeking those who have been on this or similar Caribbean itineraries and can recommend the right questions to ask T Mobile. Do I need some sort of international SIM card? Do I get billed roaming for incoming calls to my phone from the states?

BTW, I am respectful enough of everyone's vacation time to find a quiet place for these calls and not scream on the phone near the pool or in the dining room....

Thanks for your advice.

When I last cruised, my DH called family from the dock at St. Thomas (checking out hurricane status) and the call went through fine without extra charges. I don't know about on the ship while at sea though.

Maffydawg, I have been lurking on the roll call because I'm on the same cruise (just a little to shy to jump in). Based on what I've "seen" of your personality, you will get the new job and I bet your boss will be understanding about limited calls due to sea travel. :D

T-Mobile will work fine in all the ports. We just got back from this itenterary last week and we had service for about 3 hours after leaving NYC since we stayed pretty close to shore during that time. We lost our signal somewhere south of Philly and picked it up again upon approaching Grand Turk.

We use Cingular/AT&T which is GSM just like T-Mobile.

Verizon VZ:NYSE and verizon Cellular get the best reception and loss of carrier all along the Eastern SeaBoard.

They have the most locations.

Why do you think they bought MCI which was in Ch 11 and MCIP:OTC was bought and Ivan the Terrible , CEO said it was the " Last beachfront property" ..?

It was a Tier One access to the Pipe, So yes when you use them as AT&T T:NYSE too (Both Tier1) you have less Hops.. and you know who bought AT&T and BellSouth ...which then became AT&T again and there Wireless was AT&T and now again AT&T...

Soon all Princess Ships will have Cellular Access at Sea. HAL a CCL:NYSE company and sister of Princess does..

Ask the Radio Room Operator when your aboard when the Fiber Optic Cables are going to be installed too.. Maybe princess finally then will have an incabin computer access point so you may view your charges etc..and bookings...

Yes UpLinking in DATA Packets via Satellite..

home_banner.jpg

Verizon VZ:NYSE and verizon Cellular get the best reception and loss of carrier all along the Eastern SeaBoard.

They have the most locations.

Why do you think they bought MCI which was in Ch 11 and MCIP:OTC was bought and Ivan the Terrible , CEO said it was the " Last beachfront property" ..?

It was a Tier One access to the Pipe, So yes when you use them as AT&T T:NYSE too (Both Tier1) you have less Hops.. and you know who bought AT&T and BellSouth ...which then became AT&T again and there Wireless was AT&T and now again AT&T...

Soon all Princess Ships will have Cellular Access at Sea. HAL a CCL:NYSE company and sister of Princess does..

Ask the Radio Room Operator when your aboard when the Fiber Optic Cables are going to be installed too.. Maybe princess finally then will have an incabin computer access point so you may view your charges etc..and bookings...

Yes UpLinking in DATA Packets via Satellite..

home_banner.jpg

Dude...thanks for the history lesson on M&A in the cellular industry and the ticker symbols information. It must be your very nice way of telling me to just call T Mobile.....

Your welcome MS.

:cool:

Dude...thanks for the history lesson on M&A in the cellular industry and the ticker symbols information. It must be your very nice way of telling me to just call T Mobile.....

I have tmobile so here's the deal: either go on Tmobile's web site or call customer service to verify the phone model you have will work in each location (for example, I have the RIM Pearl that incorporates all 3 frequencies used by tmobile.) All of your ports have cel coverage. Bermuda and Grand Turk you'll be roaming on Cingular's towers and pay $1.49/min. St. Thomas and Puerto Rico being US territories, it will be just like calls in the states provided you have a tmobile national plan. If you have a regional plan, you will be considered roaming on tmobile's network and again pay $1.49/min or whatever the roaming rate for your calling plan is. The Grand is the only Princess ship that currently has cel service on board and they charge $4.99/min!! Enjoy.

When I last cruised, my DH called family from the dock at St. Thomas (checking out hurricane status) and the call went through fine without extra charges. I don't know about on the ship while at sea though.

Maffydawg, I have been lurking on the roll call because I'm on the same cruise (just a little to shy to jump in). Based on what I've "seen" of your personality, you will get the new job and I bet your boss will be understanding about limited calls due to sea travel. :D

Don't be afraid of us over on the roll call. We are all very nice people!

Laura

Archived