Christmas Market Cruises

odblnt

Without looking through all 26 pages in this forum, I was wondering if anybody had done one of these cruises in the last few years and how it was. I'm especially interested in the ones between Prague and Budapest.

Just an idea for the future for DW and myself.

Pete

Without looking through all 26 pages in this forum, I was wondering if anybody had done one of these cruises in the last few years and how it was. I'm especially interested in the ones between Prague and Budapest.

Just an idea for the future for DW and myself.

Pete

Here is a post by me to a similar question earlier this year. Just click the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9659381#post9659381

If you want more info about the topic Christmas Markets, just use the SEARCH FORUM feature. It is a great trip.

WIT

My Mom and I did one a year and a half ago on Grand Circle from Basel to Amsterdam on the River Ravel. We just got the new catalog for the Christmas Market trips the other day and are starting to get the itch again. We are having a hard time choosing which one would be best. Mom has done the one you are talking about, only in the fall. She thinks there aren't enough stops and thinks the Christmas Markets are better with German stops. I guess it will depend if you are going for the area or more for the Markets.

We had a great time though. I did write a full review so you could do a search for it if you are really interested.

Pam

My Mom and I did one a year and a half ago on Grand Circle from Basel to Amsterdam on the River Ravel. We just got the new catalog for the Christmas Market trips the other day and are starting to get the itch again. We are having a hard time choosing which one would be best. Mom has done the one you are talking about, only in the fall. She thinks there aren't enough stops and thinks the Christmas Markets are better with German stops. I guess it will depend if you are going for the area or more for the Markets.

We had a great time though. I did write a full review so you could do a search for it if you are really interested.

Pam

Pam - We did Budapest (extra day) to Nuremberg, then bussed to Prague for a few days. Prague was the best of all.

WIT

WIT,

Did you do this on a Christmas cruise? If so, how were the Christmas Markets? That is what we really go for as Mom and I are MAJOR shoppers. I have heard Nuremburg is the mecca for the Christmas Markets, but if there aren't other markets along the way, we would be very disappointed.

Mom has been to Prague a number of times and just loves it too, so that is very appealing to me. Vienna is also another big draw for me. Too many choices!

Pam

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, right after I did my original post I slapped my head and did a search. :o

My wife and I were in Germany about thirty years ago (I was in the military, she was a school teacher) and both visited Nuremberg. That's the sort of market we're looking for. We've also heard great things about Budapest and Prague. I notice that with some of the schedules, you have to make sure you hit Nuremberg before the market closes.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Pete

Definitely do it ! We did the Christmas Markets cruise on Uniworld River Empress, Prague-Vienna in December 2005. We loved it and recommend it and Uniworld. We all had a great time.

We did the Uniworld Rhine and Main Christmas market cruise and it was great itinerary. We prefer the German markets as they are the originals. Although all the markets were nice, none can compare to the one in Nuremberg, the biggest and the best.

The Budapest to Prague itinerary is better done in the summer because there is so much to enjoy in these cities and longer daylight hours.

Archived