What To Wear To Hide Tummy

nugsmom

I just thought maybe someone on this board could give me hints as to what looks best with a big tummy. I am not that big except for my belly. It runs in my family and I can't seem to lose it. Any ideas? I'm talking dresses, swimsuits, whatever!

I just thought maybe someone on this board could give me hints as to what looks best with a big tummy. I am not that big except for my belly. It runs in my family and I can't seem to lose it. Any ideas? I'm talking dresses, swimsuits, whatever!

I may be able to give you a suggestion for your dresses. I have your problem as well as the "upper belly"

I purchased this garment on ebay in Australia.

It did the trick for me.

I am sure there would be something similar for sale where you live.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SLIMMING-BODY-SHAPER-XL-GET-2-PAIRS_W0QQitemZ110131878549QQihZ001QQcategoryZ55566QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't find a picture to post for an example except for my wedding dress, so I hope this will help. I look for an wrap type style along that area. I can't tell you how much that takes away from my "baby belly bulge". I've found tops with similar stying at Fashion Bug and Kohls.

WeddingDress-2.jpg

Swimsuits....here's the one I bought recently. I like the swimdress look and it hides my belly nicely. The styling of the top also deflects attention from my belly.

0900631b8119bcbaM.tif?wid=150&hei=150&op_sharpen=1

Pants.... I wear all my pants midrise. Sitting high on the waist accentuates the belly. I suppose lowrise would be OK, but I don't like accentuating my hips as well, not to mention have my panties peeking out of my pants. I don't know why, but that really irritates me when I see that on others as well. Underwear is UNDERwear for a reason! :)

HTH :)

Belly, hips, thighs...I have them all;)

For bathing suits, they make some lovely suits that hide

flaws these days. I have a couple of 2 piece tankinis and

they do the job. The bottoms are regular bottoms...not bikinis,

not below the waist.

The tops are somewhat of a blousson style.

And the picture above is a flattering style too!

I also have a couple of one pieces that sort of gather to

one side of the waist,not sure I am describing it correctly but they

definitely elongate my torso (which is a good thing:D )

I think we are all very critical of our own bodies. As Lora commented

she prefers slacks midrise. I cannot wear those. They feel totally

uncomfotable on me.

Lora, your wedding dress is beautiful:)

Thank you all. I have some body shapers but just really hate to wear them, they are so uncomfortable and hard to go pottie! But I guess something has to be sacrificed...if I can't lose the weight I might just have to be uncomfortable! LOL Lora your wedding dress is really gorgeous!

I hear the Miracle Suit (swimsuit) works wonders for a tummy. I think most department stores sell them...Macy's, Dillard's, etc., or you can go to their website.

A tankini will hide a tummy. A one-piece with ruching across the belly hides it also, as well as a one-piece with diagonal lines across the front. They have so many styles that hide alot of body flaws these days. Your better department stores will have alot of styles for figure fixers. :)

And I hate to say it...but nothing smooths a tummy under a dress like control top pantyhose. I know alot of women hate to wear them but that's the main function of hose to begin with...to smooth the silhouette.

I can't recommend Spanx because I've never tried them...but other women swear by them. Maybe you could give those a try. Good luck! :)

Thank you all. I have some body shapers but just really hate to wear them, they are so uncomfortable and hard to go pottie! But I guess something has to be sacrificed...if I can't lose the weight I might just have to be uncomfortable! LOL Lora your wedding dress is really gorgeous!

I agree! I still have a belly from my recent surgery. The body slimmer I have, J C Penney's, is very uncomfortable. Don't get me started on the potty issues, lol:o .

My bathing suit is a Miracle suit too. Not too uncomfartable.

I guess I have to look rotund for a while:( .

Thanks for all the great suggestions too.

The stores seem to be full of the baby doll tops that are so popular now. They are flattering and forgiving for the belly problem...just don't get something that is too large (it should just lightly skim the body) or you'll appear pregnant. If you can find a V-neck, it will be more elongating.

I think we are all very critical of our own bodies. As Lora commented

she prefers slacks midrise. I cannot wear those. They feel totally

uncomfotable on me.

Lora, your wedding dress is beautiful:)

Thank you for the compliments! I can't wait to wear it OR for it to arrive in the store!! I ordered it in November and still don't have it. They said at the store that if other brides order theirs at a later date and need theirs sooner, they get theirs first. I had to plan ahead and they should too! :mad: I am really honked off because I paid in full. I could have put a deposit down and used that money for other things if I would have known they'd make me wait this long. Sorry to hijack with my rant! :)

About the bodyshapers.... Spanx have a "potty hole" in them. (Sorry, I don't remember the technical word!) I think it would be weird to attempt to use it, but others who have (check out the "Spanx big night out" thread for more info and a good laugh) say it works! :) I bought the Assets bodyshaper at Target, which is made by the same designer of Spanx. I figured I could "hold it" long enough to at least get my formal pictures taken! :D

Wow, Lora, that is a GORGEOUS wedding gown!!

I have used some different body shapers, but my biggest problem is where it comes together across my legs - they squeeze out the sides of it. I can't stand seeing lines anywhere! I bought some different ones at Kohl's last week to try with my dresses but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll do it this afternoon.

You want to be comfortable on your cruise. At least I do. Look for anything that emphasises your top and not anything below your bust. Empire waists, crisscross tops, or wear matching top and bottoms so you look more like one solid color (as if you had on a jumpsuit, but with 2 pieces.) Anything that creates a T shape, making your shoulders the horizonal top bar on the tee and then your body is the long vertical part. V neck tops work too. The whole idea is to get the eye to look at the top half of you and not the bottom. I'm pear shaped and these are the things that work for me.

I have read that Target has it's own brand of Spanx, but haven't used it. Some sun dresses are coming out with a liner in them.

Targets brand is called "Assets"...they DON'T work! And as far as a suggestion for the OP I would say tunics, tunics, tunics. They are in style now so they would be easy to find and they are pretty forgiving.I would also suggest shirts or dresses with empire waists.

Jennifer

i suggest buying a dress with a high waist and a little pleating or gather, they are very easy to find right now, and hide alot, here is a few i pulled off the JC penny website, (except for the pink)

yhst-10922164031781_1947_10331817p><p><a href=http://zoom.jcpenney.com//is/image/0900631b81143aa6M.TIF?wid=250&hei=250&op_sharpen=1' alt='0900631b81143aa6M.TIF?wid=250&hei=250&op_sharpen=1'>0900631b81212081M.jpg?wid=250&hei=250&op_sharpen=1

I find that a pair of nice capris with a spagetti strap tunic style tank with layers or enhanced/ emphesized bust helps to hide my belly.S0714347_F107_074.jpgS0714295_J107_008.JPG

Just a few examples that look nice with capris.

Good luck.

MAO

I have a closet full of tummy suckers, spanx, miracle suits etc...waste of money!!

Over time I found that the best (for me) was to go up one size when things are tight..

I found a casual dress (form fitting) I loved and tried it on in a size medium..Bumps and bulges galore!! Tried it in large and it looked great. No need for tummy suckers!! It fit better and I felt better......and there was no need to wear those garments that suck the life out of you!!!

Once I stopped fretting at the "size" tag...I was happier...and a lot more comfortable.

Chico's has saved me! I wear their black travelers pants, black travelers sleeveless shell, and a great-looking blouse or jacket over it. An outfit like this conceals your stomach and has a very slimming effect.

As an aside, Chico's has great inexpensive unusual jewelry, and I have gotten more compliments on the necklaces I wear with these outfits than on my fine jewelry.

This works best for me. Looks great on most gals.

barrel.gif

Targets brand is called "Assets"...they DON'T work! And as far as a suggestion for the OP I would say tunics, tunics, tunics. They are in style now so they would be easy to find and they are pretty forgiving.I would also suggest shirts or dresses with empire waists.

Jennifer

they stink!!!!!!!!

I have a closet full of tummy suckers, spanx, miracle suits etc...waste of money!!

Over time I found that the best (for me) was to go up one size when things are tight..

I found a casual dress (form fitting) I loved and tried it on in a size medium..Bumps and bulges galore!! Tried it in large and it looked great. No need for tummy suckers!! It fit better and I felt better......and there was no need to wear those garments that suck the life out of you!!!

Once I stopped fretting at the "size" tag...I was happier...and a lot more comfortable.

I think it depends on how much fat you have around your mid area. I don't have that much but I wear girtles (sp?) or spanx if the outfit is form fitting. If you don't have much fat around your mid area then these should be fine, if you do then I doubt they will work (just give ya a muffin top). I actually like corset type dresses that you tie in the back...not trashy ones but elegant ones. They help with making your stomach and waist appear slimmer.

kylie4.jpg

kylie1.jpg

Archived