Set Time for Dinner or Open Sitting

traveler111

I have only been on two cruises--solo both times. One was set time and place dining (traditional dining) (Cunard), the other freestyle (NCL). I liked the traditional much better because it gave me an opportunity to end the day with some tablemates that I got to know during the cruise. It does not really limit one much because one can always opt out and go to an alternative restaurant (most ships have several), which are always open seating (although sometimes extra cost). On a ship with traditional dining, you in effect have a choice to do either (if you are willing to pay extra every now and then).

Hi,:) I am one of those who loves traditional dining.

I enjoy sitting with the same tablemates, having the same waiter, asst,

and Maitr'd each night.

Dinner time (for me) is one of my most fun times of the entire day:D

All my sailings have been solo and all have been late seating:), with

a stop in the Martini Bar each night before dinner!

Enjoy your cruise:)

When I'm on vacation, I like to be waited on, so I opt for the dining room for breakfast and dinner. I catch lunch on the fly. That's when I try the alternatives or eat in port. I like the open seating at breakfast because I get to chat with different people each day. You never know when you're going to end up with someone going on the same excursion. Or get a new idea for something to do in port. And I like the traditional dinner so I can have company during dinner. I do enough casual dining at home, so restaurant dining is a treat for me, especially since I'm not dining alone (or with a book) and can look forward to interesting conversations with like-minded folks - we all like cruising at least.

I much prefer traditional dining. I just don't like the feeling of dining alone, and with open seating, especially on the smaller ships, you usually do dine alone. And I also find it uncomfortable asking people if I can dine with them. I've had too many say "no" when I asked to join them, so give me traditional anytime. As a matter of fact, when I went to a wine tasting on Infinity last week, the sommlier asked a couple if I could join their table for the tasting, and they said no. Can you believe that?

I much prefer traditional dining. I just don't like the feeling of dining alone, and with open seating, especially on the smaller ships, you usually do dine alone. And I also find it uncomfortable asking people if I can dine with them. I've had too many say "no" when I asked to join them, so give me traditional anytime. As a matter of fact, when I went to a wine tasting on Infinity last week, the sommlier asked a couple if I could join their table for the tasting, and they said no. Can you believe that?

Hi Darcie:)

So sorry about that:eek: :( ...usually tastings are full of friendly

folks.......sharing tables is supposed to be part of the fun......

Sounds like you got a couple of sourpusses:confused:

Hi, Traveller111...

I'll be sailing solo on Infinity to South America in November. If you go on that cruise, I'll be happy to share a table with you!

Whatever sailing you choose, traditional seating is best for solo travelers, as the op's here have shown.

We're part of a group sailing on HAL's Rotterdam to South America/Antarctica in January. We met on a CC Hawaii cruise last October. Some are singles and they like having the security of the fixed dining. That way they get to actually know other passengers to do things with (onboard and for shore ex) rather than just keep meeting people at each meal, acquaintances at best.

So far I've only had open seating dining and it has always worked well for me, even as a solo. My next cruise will be a fixed dining time and I'm looking forward to testing it out. Usually I've been seated at a large table and since it's to share nobody can say no to me joining them. (poor Kitty sorry those people were so rude but they missed out having fun with you) Either way you choose to dine, have fun on your cruise.

Actually Solo Cruiser, it worked out for the best as I shared a table with a lovely gentleman from Ireland, and he knew a ton about wine, so it was a good thing in the end for those people to refuse me.

Archived