Ruby Princess

bdjam

Ruby does have a gaudy, gypsy like ring to it. I don't care for the name myself, a bit cheapish.

Agreed. And I’m not sure why the jewel theme. Princess used to use names like Sun, Sea, Ocean, Sky – much better than naming ships based on something someone would wear around their neck, in their ear or glued to their tooth.

And the name of a ship makes a big difference – if one considers a ship an entity as some of us do, the name affects the overall impression of the ship.

Agreed. And I’m not sure why the jewel theme. Princess used to use names like Sun, Sea, Ocean, Sky – much better than naming ships based on something someone would wear around their neck, in their ear or glued to their tooth.

And the name of a ship makes a big difference – if one considers a ship an entity as some of us do, the name affects the overall impression of the ship.

I could not agree more. It's like they spent no more than 5 minutes coming up with a suitable name.:(

Mike:)

My guess is after Ruby they will stop with the gems...diamond, ruby, sapphire & emerald are the PRECIOUS stones....the others are all SEMI-precious....

So they saved the worst for last, I aggree they needed to complete the set....I just keep on seeing neon lights flashing Ruby's Diner.........and I do think the names of resorts, hotels and ships give an impression.

But, for the poster that said his GD is named Ruby how exciting can that be?

Don't forget all of us "July Babies" whose birthstone is the ruby. I happen to think my diamond and ruby necklace is the most beautiful piece of jewelry I own. "Ruby Princess"...come on, it's not that bad!
I think the whole jewel thing is going down the wrong path - Sea, Sun, Dawn, Star, Sky, Coral, Island, Pacific, Tahitian...and then Ruby? And when you consider the three sisters, Emerald and Ruby I understand but how does Crown fit in there? And why do Diamond and Sapphire have a "gem" name when they are totally different types of ships? And since they already had sisters in Crown 1 and Regal, why not Crown 2 and Regal 2?

NCL already uses the gem theme - seems Princess could have been a little more creative, or relied on some of the names they used in the past which were perfectly fine. And they could have used the same on-board stationery.

I agree with Mike - Princess thought all of five minutes on this one...sort of like their initial decision to retro fit all of the Grand Class ships with MUTS.

I doubt Princess will bring back any retired names for a while.

We still get to anticipate Chrystal Princess, Aqua Princess, Jade Princess, etc.

If they ever run out....I hope we don't get a Sky Princess.

If anybody remembers those designs I posted on here a while back, theres still the name Regent Princess!:D Also my favorite of the 3 Princess designs I've done. Name has a nice ring to it in my opinion. It's also somewhat close to Regal.

Or there may also be an Atlantic Princess to go along with the Pacific Princess. (Atlantic was also one of my designs)

Personally...I'd rather have a new and unique class of ship rather then a unique name. Grand-Class is probably the longest-built class of ship second only to Carnival's Conquest-Class.

But I'll probably draw the line when we get somethin like the Flying Princess.:D

If they ever run out....I hope we don't get a Sky Princess.
What's wrong with Sky Princess? She was a special ship in the fleet and a new ship would be honored with the name. Sun, Dawn, Star...all up in the Sky.

Crown Princess was only out of the fleet a couple of years before they re-used the name, and the same goes for Royal Princess 2. Re-using names isn't as far fetched as it might seem. Of course with no new Princess ships on order, you might be right.

The "Princess" name communicates some royalty to me...Princess of the Pacific, Princess of the Caribbean, Princess of the Sky, Princess of the Dawn. And the Sea Witch logo imparts a sense of the supernatural - so a goddess of the sun, dawn, sky, sea, ocean, stars, islands, coral - it all makes sense.

Princess of the Ruby? :rolleyes:

Since it's Ruby this time around, how about Suzy Princess after that, followed by Jimmy Princess, and then maybe Johnny Princess and so on? Why insist on a gem when a name like "Ruby" is giving you a chance to go in a wholly different direction? ;)

What's wrong with Sky Princess? She was a special ship in the fleet and a new ship would be honored with the name. Sun, Dawn, Star...all up in the Sky.

I didn't know there ever was a Sky Princess. hahaha:D

I guess I don't like it because it reminds me of this rollercoaster at this little kid park by my house. And it's painted purple and blue and it's called Sky Princess. I guess it just leaves a bad impression.:D

There are only 4 precious gems. Ruby would complete the set of already named Princess ships of Diamond, Emerald and Sapphire.

Rubies are extremely rare and thus very unique and special.

The actual word ruby comes from the latin word "Rubens" which means red. The US census lists it as a growing popular name at 100 of the top 1,000 girl's name in the USA. It can also be used as a boy's name too.

Brian.. Perhaps a "Dorthy" in red ruby slippers can christen the new ship... :D:D:D

I vote for a fiery strong redhead. My vote is split. Either, Sarah Ferguson or, Lady Sarah McCorquodale.

Princess used to use names like Sun, Sea, Ocean, Sky.

I love all the names that you mentioned in your post. These nouns, to me envoke something shared and of value around the globe. I do not see these names as a political statement.

It has concerned me by some of the other cruise lines have chosen "Liberty" or "Freedom". These words can be inturpreted as politically charged.

Blue, green and red – sapphire, emerald and ruby – the colored-stone trinity.

There is something primal about our attraction to these gems. Each relates to a familiar part of life.

Blue is ocean/sky.

Green – verdant soothing.

And red? Red is fire, blood, the very life-giver itself – passion. Women do not paint their lips green, nor do men send their love blue valentines. No, for thoughts of love and passion, only one color will do – red. And no more passionate gem exists than the ruby.

So, why wouldn't the "Love Boat" not have a Ruby Princess?

my suggestion for Ruby Princess

.....she sails on Tuesdays.......and is known as.... Ruby Tuesday

Keith Richards said he wrote the song about a groupie he knew. Well, Princess cruisers are groupies too.

Archived