Ruby Princess

bdjam

It's time for a ship to have a godfather. It's 2007. Perhaps Ruby Princess will be the first - though Jagger would not be my first choice.
How about Robert Redford, Art Garfunkel, Prince Harry (woof), Ewan McGregor or Chuck Norris.

We still get to anticipate Chrystal Princess, Aqua Princess, Jade Princess, etc.

If they ever run out....I hope we don't get a Sky Princess.

If anybody remembers those designs I posted on here a while back, theres still the name Regent Princess!:D

ARCHITECT: IMHO, I do not ever think that CRYSTAL nor REGENT will be used because they are the names of competing CruiseLines.

It's time for a ship to have a godfather. It's 2007. I'm a godfather - and not of the Mario Puzzo variety. Perhaps Ruby Princess will be the first - though Jagger would not be my first choice.
I agree.

my suggestion for Ruby Princess

.....she sails on Tuesdays.......and is known as.... Ruby Tuesday....and Mick Jagger is her Godfather......;) LOL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=avx4JWKw00Y&mode=related&search=

There are only 4 precious gems. Ruby would complete the set of already named Princess ships of Diamond, Emerald and Sapphire.

Rubies are extremely rare and thus very unique and special.

The actual word ruby comes from the latin word "Rubens" which means red. The US census lists it as a growing popular name at 100 of the top 1,000 girl's name in the USA. It can also be used as a boy's name too.

Maybe that is why it doesn't appeal to some, to common. Few people are named diamond, sapphire or emerald.

Maybe that is why it doesn't appeal to some, to common. Few people are named diamond, sapphire or emerald.

I just stumbled across this. Apparently, in 2006 the name Ruby was the number 4 top name for girls in the UK. "In 2006, the name Ruby leaped 69 places to 4th place for newborn girls. The jump is thought to be influenced by the popularity of TV character Ruby Allen from the British soap opera “EastEnders”.http://www.britainusa.com/sections/articles_show_nt1.asp?d=0&i=41099&L1=0&L2=0&L3=1&a=45532

..<snip>..Maybe that is why it doesn't appeal to some, to common. Few people are named diamond, sapphire or emerald.
I just stumbled across this. Apparently, in 2006 the name Ruby was the number 4 top name for girls in the UK..<snip>..

I don't know where it fits in the line-up of names, but in my 12+ years of teaching, I've taught at least two Diamonds, and probably 3 or 4 - the two I remember clearly are just within the last 4-5 years, and I still see them around my school. (Of course, I've also taught a Precious, a Princess, and will be teaching a Queen next year. So go figure.)

I don't know where it fits in the line-up of names, but in my 12+ years of teaching, I've taught at least two Diamonds, and probably 3 or 4 - the two I remember clearly are just within the last 4-5 years, and I still see them around my school. (Of course, I've also taught a Precious, a Princess, and will be teaching a Queen next year. So go figure.)

Cathy. It is nice to hear from you. I presume your luggage eventually found its way home to you.

Anyway, while it may not be convential for Americans to use these names, I think they are all very beautiful.

Red is a harsh color and can be very unsettling in the wrong setting. Red is used very often in a dining room to stimulate the appetite....don't need that on a cruise!!! Maybe we are taking this too far, maybe we are bored, don't know, but anyway it's always fun getting opinions. At any rate, I'd sail the ship if the itinerary was right.

It has concerned me by some of the other cruise lines have chosen "Liberty" or "Freedom". These words can be inturpreted as politically charged.

I totally agree. It's almost like drawing a target on those ships. They really should stick with neutral names. At least Ruby is original and doesn't draw any unneccessary attention from potential bad guys.

What I also don't understand is why cruise lines use names that other companies are already using? That's just way too confusing!

I totally agree. It's almost like drawing a target on those ships. They really should stick with neutral names. At least Ruby is original and doesn't draw any unneccessary attention from potential bad guys.

What I also don't understand is why cruise lines use names that other companies are already using? That's just way too confusing!

I believe other cruise ship lines long term strategy and identity is weak. Perhaps, the brand is weak too. The name of a ship along with it's overall branding is important to folks. When you use another name already associated with another brand is problematic as it's best.

This reminds me of a "family" we used to have coming through the local

courthouse. Mom was named Princess and she had five kids -- and

this is TRUE -- their names were: Diamond, Cashmere, Unique, Prince Jr. and Princess Jr.:eek:

Ok, she's going to be called Ruby because obviously some big shot at Princess HQ has seen a picture of my gorgeous grand-daughter Ruby. (Note to self - knew I was showing her pic to a heck of a lot of people but didn't realise her fame had spread to California;) )

Sue

This reminds me of a "family" we used to have coming through the local

courthouse. Mom was named Princess and she had five kids -- and

this is TRUE -- their names were: Diamond, Cashmere, Unique, Prince Jr. and Princess Jr.:eek:

We've had a Unique at school, and also an Armani, and a Nautica. You think we'll get a Calvin Klein next?? Serously though, some of these names are quite nice. The culture I teach in tries to have very unique names, and after a month, they all sound quite normal coming out of my mouth.

Cathy. It is nice to hear from you. I presume your luggage eventually found its way home to you.

Anyway, while it may not be convential for Americans to use these names, I think they are all very beautiful.

Good to see you too, Gene! I've seen a bunch of your posts lately on the boards - I won't be quite as prolific with my posts until after school's out - it's way too busy in June to do too much. As for the luggage - our original lost luggage did show up in Belize (about 4 days into the cruise, I think). But then, coming home, we lost even more bags! They did show up in a day - even got delivered to our door. (But never again will we fly in such a small plane that they couldn't hold all of our luggage due to weight fears! :eek: )

Anyway, back on topic...... (Sorry about the deviation off topic there!:) )

Azure Princess (Caribbean cruises)

I, too like this name. I don't have a problem with Ruby (I actually haven't taught a Ruby yet), but some of these ship names are crazy.

This confuses me, too. Having to ask a friend, "Which Liberty were you on?" is just crazy. Of course, I'm not too sure about Princess recycling names, either. I suppose it's not as bad - at least the two ships aren't in service at the same time.

Good to see you too, Gene! I've seen a bunch of your posts lately on the boards - I won't be quite as prolific with my posts until after school's out - it's way too busy in June to do too much. As for the luggage - our original lost luggage did show up in Belize (about 4 days into the cruise, I think). But then, coming home, we lost even more bags! They did show up in a day - even got delivered to our door. (But never again will we fly in such a small plane that they couldn't hold all of our luggage due to weight fears! :eek: )

I am no longer wanting to check in luggage after the Galveston event.

I am the chatty one. Anyway, SeaTeacher like you is buried in the last weeks and days of the school year. I guess I am attempting to make up for his prophetic posts. :D

My favorite kids' names from teaching: Lexus, Chevy, Ford, Seville, LeBaron, and, of course, Mercedes. I guess we know where these kids came from.;)

lol

We once had a Rolls Royce "Johnson" -- not his real last name of course -- come out of the holding tank

at court

Hmm, isn't Rolls Royce the brand of engine for some cruise ships?? Or

am I utterly confused?

I've never quite figured out why the Emerald Princess was so named, when it is NOT a twin sister of the Diamond and Sapphire. Ditto the Ruby Princess. It's just a bit confusing. A non-jewel name (love the Sky Princess) would have made more sense. The whole "Grand Class" of Princess ship is becoming blurred, because it is actually 3 different classes of ships.

Archived