my trip insurance tip

magdeliene

DH and I are going on our first cruise in July and I have been avidly reading these boards. I followed the advice and got trip insurance (before final payment) but found something interesting I'd like to share.

When I first looked at insurance through insuremytrip.com the plan I was most interested in cost $152.88. I printed out the certificate so I could thoroughly read it - plus 2 others - before deciding. A month later the same plan was $219.12 from the same site. So I decided to go directly to the insurance company site and it was only $138.49 - less than the original quote from insuremytrip.com

So my tip is to use those insurance sites to compare plans but always check the ins. co directly for a better price.:)

• 2 weeks later...

You have to make sure you got the same policy. Sometimes the lesser amount will exclude some coverage, or the limits are lower. I know I've compared the same company at times, they will have 2-3 choices at different price points.

I've done exactly what you have done in the past, compared insuremytrip to the company itself. However, I found the price was the same.

What I do find is that the price may go up after a birthday, so I'll compare the cost at one age, then the next year up.

We generally don't buy insurance until after we make final payment, in case we change our plans, the insurance isn't refundable. This doesn't work for everyone, we have no pre-existing conditions and we have no seniors in our family to worry about (:( ). With any of those two situation, it is best to buy insurance within the time frame of getting pre-existing conditions covered.

But, all in all, I do think it's a great idea to do some investigation before buying any product, especially when we're lining the pockets of insurance companies :rolleyes: .

Our experience is that the price will not change on insurance except if something changes such as the length or cost of the cruise or the age of the travelers or the coverage. This is not like booking an airline flight where supply and demand imact the cost.

Keith

Archived