How I spent this year's birthday in Key West...

coka

I decided to spend another birthday in Key West since last year's solo birthday trip was such a blast. This year I brought my hubbie, my step-son and step-son's girlfriend. Oceandreams and a friend were supposed to join us but they canceled in July.

Our flights all arrived at different times. Two from the northeast and two from the west coast. Hubbie and I traveled on different airlines (that way if one plane went down, the survivor would get everything). Actually, I had a free voucher and a different airline was cheaper. The rules were whoever arrived last would arrive to a kitchen full of food and to a full bar.

I was supposed to be the last to arrive but I got onto earlier flights. Unfortunately, my husband was delayed, transferred, delayed and delayed again. Three of us nearly broke our backs carrying all the liquor, beer, and food from Fausta's grocery and cant-remember-the-name liquor store on Fleming Street. I learned a few years ago to find the food stores and liquor stores away from the main areas and you pay less for the goods. When I checked out of the stores I asked if they knew a guy named Clay and they looked at me like I had three heads.

We stayed in a two-bedroom, two bathroom condo at the Galleon Resort. Our balcony overlooked the marina. We were pleased with the accommodations. Our unit seemed to be the only one with palm trees blocking some of the view. This came in very handy as it kept the balcony cool. We enjoyed the pool and the raft off their petite beach. It was interesting to see the people catch fish off the pier. The front desk people were very nice and the bar staff were friendly. The only downer was that they could not help me find a guy named Clay.

We rented bicycles for five days with Conch Bike Express (305-294-4318). My step-son checked around and he found the cheapest rates with them. They delivered the bikes and picked them up for us. When we were done, all we had to do was leave the bike lock keys at the front desk, give them a call, and they did the rest.

We rode bikes to Smathers beach one day and people watched. My husband crashed his bike into the cement wall. I told him he was going to get a B.W.I. if he was not more careful while checking out the babes. Another day we rode bikes to Fort Zachary Park and beach which is somewhat nicer than Smathers. We tried to snorkel there but it was too wavy to see much near the rocks.

I rode one day looking for the weekend outdoor market. The location was advertised as 2405 North Roosevelt Boulevard. I stopped and turned around after reaching 4 thousand something. I rode by all the charter boats and many were in because the fishing had not been the greatest the past few weeks according to my husband's sources. I thought tell that to all those people hauling in their heavy loads of lobster and tell that to those people who are eating dolphin tonight on the Galleon's outdoor barbecue grills...

I did some shopping for my birthday presents while I was there. I bought two bathing suits at the bathing suit store on Greene Street across from the Kite Shop. I have purchased many suits there in previous years and I have always had good luck with them. I read later that they were voted best/favorite place to buy a swim suit. I noticed there were many swim suits all over and if I did not buy them there, then there is a store further up Duval that looked pretty good. I also bought a sun dress at Tikal Company located on the first block or second block of Duval Street (before Sloppy Joes). I went to the Sponge Market and to the Sandal Store but did not purchase anything there. I spent forever at the Black and White store further up Duval Street. I tried on every dress because I had a 25 dollar off coupon. After a few hours with no luck, I gave my coupon to some guy who was buying presents for his girlfriend. He was happy.

By the time I got back shopping for my birthday, it looked like my family started celebrating it without me. All the rum was gone and they were working on the beer. When asked if anyone wanted to do a sunset snorkel or go out to eat or do a Duval Crawl, they all replied it was too hot and they wanted to stay in. Another rule we had was that nobody had to anything they did not want to do. No way was I staying in so I got myself a birthday sunset snorkel catamaran tour aboard Sebago. It was a two minute walk to get there. The ride was great and the sunset was good. The water was a little rough and a little difficult to see fish. So, I got in early to be first in line for the free wine, beer, or champagne. I called my best friend OceanDreams via cell phone to tell her that I was spending my 41st birthday the exact same way I did my 40th! Everyone was sleeping by the time I got back so I did the Duval Crawl by myself. Look for me on SloppyJoes.com video cam. I am the one dancing by myself with a big grin on my face holding up the number 4 on one hand and the number 1 on another. My sisters back home and OceanDreams were celebrating vicariously through the video cam. When I got home they all asked why was I hollering "Clay Clayton where are you?, Clay Clayton where are you?" in the middle of the night in Sloppy Joes...

On another day, the four of us went on a six hour Stars and Stripes catamaran day snorkel tour. It began with bagels and juice on board, then sailed to Western Sambo Reef for two snorkel stops. We had lunch in the middle of the two stops that consisted of salads, fruits, and meat/cheese combination platter. The first stop was good. Some passengers saw turtles and lobster. The second stop was awesome. I saw a giant eel, two barracudas, and lots and lots of different fish never seen while snorkeling before. I also saw lots of the same ones too! My husband did not get into the water for the second stop because I think the bar had opened on board. I was nearly the first to get into the water and nearly the last to get out. We all sipped wine or beer on the way back.

Although we bought our own food, we did go to some restaurants. We enjoyed conch fritters at Turtle Kraals, the big portions at Papa Jons Italian/Pizza, the mojitos at El Maison de Pepe's, and the chicken fingers at Billy Fish Bar and Grill (hubby loved the Monkey Luv at noon). A new place that I went to this year included Damn Good Food restaurant right across from the Galleon. I loved it because the food was damn good, the prices very reasonable, a wonderful selection of wine, and Frank Sinatra music played. A second new place I went to was PT's or PJ's at the furthest end of the marina a tad up the street. Six of us (my friend and brother) ate there and everyone enjoyed their meal. It is more a locals place than it is a tourist place. I forgot to ask if they knew Clay.

Of the six nights, I only went out dancing for three of them. Husband went out the first time and left early because he said I just entertain myself on the dance floor and he can not stand the hot and humid weather. My step-son and girlfriend stayed out a little bit but they are dating so they "retired" early too.

A good friend of mine who I only see about once a year (met on a cruise ship years ago) was in Key West this time of year with a family member. We missed each by a few days last year. I enjoyed catching up on the last year's news. We agreed that even 40 years from now, we would still meet at Sloppy Joe's and we would still be teaching all the twenty-somethings how to dance! I did not stay at Irish Kevins too long or at Ricks too long. We enjoyed the music at the Bull this year. Great three piece band.

I went to Mallory Square only twice for the sunsets but I noticed one of my favorites acts from last year was not there anymore. It was a guy who got the audience involved...gets a young kid and his dad to participate and he walks over them on a rope while audience holds the rope tight...The catman was still there and when I asked him if he knew Clay Clayton, he answered, "you mean the guy from cruisecritic?" But, he did not know Clay's address or telephone number.

Hmmmm, other things we did was run into a battle of the bartenders fundraiser at Schooners Bar. Every year they compete in order to raise money for the big brother and big sister foundation. Lots of different "sites" to see and I am glad I am able to say I witnessed them. I concluded I could not survive a fantasyfest down there.

There is a lot to do in Key West...but it is a great place to just relax. Will I spend my 42nd birthday there? Probably so. Will my husband want to go with me? Definitely not. Will my step-son want to go with me? Only if it is free again. Can I count on my cruise/KW friend to be there? Absolutely!

So, that is how I spent my birthday. Forty to forty-one was one heck of a ride and it shall continue!

Coka

Coka,

Great review as always. I'm so sorry that I missed your birthday again. I promise I'll make up to you on our cruise. What fun it was to have our little gathering of folks here and watch you on the "Sloppy Joe's" webcam. One thing about us, we never miss that special toast at that certain time.

Thanks for letting me enjoy your special day with you from afar. Stay cool and see you soon.

OceanDreams

Coka - Sounds like you did all the tourist stuff and more. Won't be long and you'll get to all the good spots.

Think about these next time:

* Cemetary tour

* Stroll thru Truman Annex

* Beach time at Sunset Key

* Dominique's Flying House Cats

* Trip to Dry Tortugas

* Lunch at B.O.'s Fish Wagon

* Dinner at Blue Haven

* Dinner at Pepe's Cafe

* Crepes at Banana Cafe

* Show at La Te Dah

* Show at 801 Bourbon

* Sally Foster at The Bull

* Michael McCloud at Schooner Warf Bar

* Happy Hour at Kelly's (McGillis) Bar & Grill

* Get a Conch Republic Passport

* Key Lime Pie at The Blond Giraffe

Thank you Ocean! Thank you Kal for new ideas! I did one-half of your suggestions last year (I love their cemetary)! A definite for my next visit is the Dry Tortugas trip. Everyone says it is not to be missed! Another is a meal at Blue Haven. Although I mentioned it indirectly in my first post, we were supposed to go lobster fishing for my birthday. Oh, and next year I am going to look up Clay! ha ha

Coka

Well damn! Sorry I didn't happen to be out and about to help celebrate your birthday. Not at all surprized though that you didn't run into anyone that knows me. Since I don't work in the tourist industry I know few of those folks...and since it appears you were at the straight bars, its not surprizing none of the bartenders knew me! If you had've stopped in at Aqua, Bourbon Street, or 801, I suspect you would have been able to track me down.

Happy Birthday!

Clay

Clay!

I am glad to know that you are okay! Next year I am going to the three bars you mentioned and will seek you out! I do not mind gay bars at all...The music is usually better and it so refreshing to walk in and talk to men who do not want to hit on you! There are only men there, right? ha ha. Thanks for the birthday wish!

Coka

Clay - I guess I haven't gotten over one late night when RV pulled me on stage and proceeded to remove my pants. My ooooh my!!! Butt the good news is, she handed em back to me tainted with perfume.

Archived