Best way to get from Montreal to Quebec

We changed our cruise departure port from Montreal to Quebec. Any suggestions on the best way to get to Quebec from Montreal? - Time - Costs etc. (Can't take a train if it involves a tunnel - my wifes' claustrophobic!)

I would change the airline tickets but there's a major penalty and I would like to see a little more of Canada.

I'm assuming you mean Montreal to Quebec City, as Montreal is a city in the Province of Quebec. It's kind of like asking how do I get from Anaheim to California. There is a train, and I'm sure there are buses. You could also pick up a rental car. I have friends that have done it many times, I can ask them if any tunnels are involved?

We changed our cruise departure port from Montreal to Quebec. Any suggestions on the best way to get to Quebec from Montreal? - Time - Costs etc. (Can't take a train if it involves a tunnel - my wifes' claustrophobic!)

I would change the airline tickets but there's a major penalty and I would like to see a little more of Canada.

The bus company from Montreal to Quebec City is here:

http://www.orleansexpress.com/

It's about $100 CDN for two people. You'll need to get from Montreal airport to Station Centrale d'autobus. To get there from the airport, you'll need to take L'aerobus: (prob. another $16 per person)

http://www.admtl.com/passager/acces_et_stationnement/_aerobus.aspx

For the train, you can take Via Rail (approx. $150 economy class for 2 people)

http://www.via.ca

L'aerobus will take you from the airport to Central Train Station downtown.

Lastly, no tunnels - except Central Train Station itself is underground. Trains and buses can range from 3-6 hours depending on the departure time and route, whether express, etc... websites will give times for each option.

All trains in Montreal go through a tunnel, since Montreal central train station is underground.

Orleans Express has buses from Station Centrale, the city's central bus station. The buses go every hour on the hour from the central bus station (a block away from my house).

Orleans Express runs buses from the airport directly to Quebec city. They run at 11:00, 14:00, 17:00 and 21:30 and take about 4.5 hours. Price is CAD$64.14 o/w and CAD$102.10 r/t. There is a discount for children and seniors.

Flying is extremely expensive. You might find that paying the fee to redo the ticket is ultimately cheaper than flying from Montreal to Quebec city.

It's a 3 hour drive. You might want to consider renting a car for the day. Even with the drop rate it can be quite a deal. About CAD$120 (less with the Costco discount code from their website). Essentially you take the 520 East (Est) to the 20 East and then follow the road into Quebec city. About half a tank of gas.

Those are the best suggestions that I can give you.

Thanx Ephraim - We can always count on you for a good solution !

I'm going to rental a car and enjoy the drive.

Be advised that in the province of Quebec, unlike the rest of Canada, the road signage is entirely in French.

The costco member rates are great too. Costco, Services, Tickets & Travel, Travel, click on link on next page, then click on Rental Cars. Or use the codes from your Entertainment book.

Avis, Alamo, Hertz, and National all don't have drop fees. (Budget does, so I guess they are out). Thrifty does, but it's quite reasonable a rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived