Article regarding "On board art auctions"

AWED23

Are the Park West Art at Sea auctions a value ?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Park West Art at Sea auctions a value ?

• Yes......They offer really good buys
    • Yes....The champagne is free
    • No.....Way over valued junk art appaised by themselves !!!
    • No...Just a real nuisance !!!!

Have you read the article,and if you did, what is your opinion?....I "Googled" Park West Galleries and was surprised at the ammount of material available...They seem to be involved in many disputes and law suits...Do you feel they are offering true bargains?...:confused: :confused:

my MIL buys stuff all the time and LOVES it. she bought me something and it's very pretty. so i guess if you see something that you really like and will enjoy looking at in your home then it is worth it.

We've checked out the "art" a few times but have really never seen anything we'd hang in our house. Some of it is reproduced prints from famous artists, but we don't really get into that sort of thing. A lot of it reminds me of car wash art ;) .

But, I really believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because I don't care for it doesn't mean the next person won't fall madly in love with a piece.

I hope people don't truly think of it as an investment, just something they can enjoy.

I used to work in an art gallery, and have gone to auctions on the ship. There are some pieces that are good values, and there are others that are a real rip-off. The key point is to know what you're buying. It frightens me the people that think they're getting these great deals on really expensive pieces of art - - - But, they are sometimes fun, and I have always told clients - fall in love with the image. If they image really works for you, and the price is in your budget - GO FOR IT. But, please do not spend $10,000 on something on a cruise ship - that is just insane (and yes, I saw people do it - and it was crazy....). But then, I like to watch the cooking exhibitors at State Fairs - their marketing ability is fascinating....:D

I didn't vote cause the catagory that would apply to us wasn't there. We normally do not buy anything but love to just look at the art work and enjoy the people. Is it a bargain? Yes, if you are happy with what you buy, it is worth it. Is it a true bargain, who knows? To us it is just another form of entertainment on the ship. If people want to buy the work good for them. It is like buying jewelry in the duty free shops: good deal? maybe not, but if it is something you want and are willing to pay the price it is a good deal. NMNita

in the early days of the shipboard art auction, I participated in "bidding" and eventually hung on my wall, at home, a picture (guess you call it a picture) of a snow seal. It's framed in a floating glass frame. I had fun with the "bidding" and got the pix for a budgeted price (think I got it for $45) - it's 4' by 3'. Shipping, etc. is what drove up the cost which I didn't think about "that" whilst "bidding". I love the picture but would never do that again. Mostly I don't won't to take the time & that cheap champagne makes me sick! I have, however, "registered to bid" on occassion, just to get the "free" print - they are pretty when placed inside of a pretty frame on which you didn't spend alotta moolah. As ddonalds so aptly stated "...key point is to know what you're buying.."

We have attended auctions in the past but never bought until last year. They had a couple of Thomas Kinkade framed prints that my wife had wanted for a while, and no one else bid on them. We saved about $300 vs. prices back home. We don't see too many deals at those auctions.........

We usually go to at least one of the art auctions and we have bought several prints that we knew cost about 1/3 of the cost to buy at home (including shipping costs). You really do have to know what you are looking for and approximately what it would cost you elsewhere before you buy onboard. We think the art auctions are fun but the champagne sucks!

Archived