I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Aren't they somewhat of the Vampire genre? I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong.:confused:

No, that's it! Basically the story of a young girl who just happens to fall in love with a Vampire :) When my sister mentioned this book to me, I was honestly confused, because she is NOT the type of person who would read vampire stories or anything (I don't think she could handle say, an Anne Rice novel ;) ), but its not the evil kind of vampire... more of a clan of "misunderstood vampires" ;)

• 3 weeks later...

After tips on this board about 12 months ago I am now hooked on Debbie Macomber, Jeanne Ray, Janet Evanovich and Sandra Hill.

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and the Jinx series by Sandra Hill, had me getting a few funny looks as I read them by the pool. They are very much laugh-out-loud books and very enjoyable lighthearted reading, ideal for cruising. I can't wait to read more:)

After tips on this board about 12 months ago I am now hooked on Debbie Macomber, Jeanne Ray, Janet Evanovich and Sandra Hill.

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and the Jinx series by Sandra Hill, had me getting a few funny looks as I read them by the pool. They are very much laugh-out-loud books and very enjoyable lighthearted reading, ideal for cruising. I can't wait to read more:)

I love the Stephanie Plum series so I will have to try the Sandra Hill Jinx series as well.

Thanks for the lead!

I love the Stephanie Plum series so I will have to try the Sandra Hill Jinx series as well.

Thanks for the lead!

Sandra Hill Jinx series?:confused: I'll have to check it out, you ladies have given me more to add to my read pile!

I always like to suggest the Alisa Allan cruise novels, www.AlisaAllan.com. Still waiting patiently for more!

I'm reading Duma Key by Stephen King right now. HUGE book, but I absolutely cannot put it down. I have completely fallen in love with the characters. I highly recommend it.

I'm reading the same book right now, and I agree. This is a must read!

• 3 weeks later...

For readers who like the 'Inspector Morse' type police story, I was introduced to Chief Inspector Alan Banks, as created by Peter Robinson. Edgier than Morse, less morose than Rebus; set in North Yorkshire, there's over 15 to choose from, and I'm working my way through them all!

I love books of all kinds. I loved Kite Runner and sequel. mostly enjoy the murder mysteries and fantasy- Mercedes lackey and Zimmer-Bradley are my favorites.

Haven't seen the George R R Martin series A Song of Fire and Ice listed. It has everything-mystery, wizards, dragons, deceit, love, and finally in Sept the final(maybe) book.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (winner of the Bellwether Prize for Fiction), and it was great. The writing was amazing, similar to the Kite Runner & The Samurai's Garden in terms of style. It's set in the south, post WWII, and is a great & fast read. I definitely recommend it.

And for those who like memoirs, I also read Lucky Man, by Michael J. Fox. This was also an amazing book. It's written with great wit, and isn't only about his battle with Parkinson's. He also talks about his family, being a rising star in Hollywood, and about his upbringing in Canada.

How about "the Bounty Trilogy?" It is the complete story of the mutiny, what happened with Christian and the mutineers on Pitcairn Island, and how Capt. Bligh and his men sailed 3,600 miles in their 23 foot launch. It's quite the adventure; I got into it one summer and couldn't put it down. Plus, you have the ocean setting going on, kind of fitting for reading at sea.

My absolute favorite books of all time are Ted Dekker s Trilogy. Black is the 1st book. Followed by White and then Red. Make sure to put on plenty of sunscreen bc once you start reading these books you totally loose track of time.

I have heard great things about The Memory Keepers Daughter but havent read it yet.

My comments on casting for the Stephanie Plum books...

Definitely Sandra Bullock for Stephanie. I like the Rock for Ranger. Benjamin Brat and Jimmy Smits are just too approachable. The Rock is sexy, has muscles in the right place and fits the image. I can't think of a good Morelli. I'm thinking Queen Latifa for Lula...

I know this is years after the op but it's gotta be Sherri Shepherd for Lula. She's a cohost on the View now but the character she played on Less Than Perfect is Lula to a T. I can hear her voice when I'm reading the Stephanie Plum novels.

Did anyone recommend the Home Repair is Homicide series by Sarah Graves? I've read several and enjoyed them. Some of the situations her characters are in are pretty implausible but it's still a fun read.

How about House of Sand and Fog? The audio version is read by the author's wife so you know you are hearing it exactly the way the author intended. I read it as a school assignment so I read the book, listened to the book and watched the movie. Found it to be very thought provoking.

For a nice easy read, the he No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. There's actually been a pilot tv show of this shown in britain and I believe BBC/US tv are going to create a series of shows next year.

For the person that referred to Rebus, another good one based in Edinburgh is the Quintin Jardine series. For detectives I also like J.D. Robb (more futuristic) and also James Patterson and Jeffrey Deaver.

The philip Pullman trilogy (Golden Compass) are good - much better than the recent movie.

I read this last year and highly recommend it. For anyone cruising around the Med it is set on the Greek Island of Crete. I read a lot of stuff and have wide ranging taste but this one has a real resonance and makes you think.

On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother's past. But Sofia has never spoken of it. All she admits to is growing up in a small Cretan village before moving to London. When Alexis decides to visit Crete, however, Sofia gives her daughter a letter to take to an old friend, and promises that through her she will learn more.

Arriving in Plaka, Alexis is astonished to see that it lies a stone's throw from the tiny, deserted island of Spinalonga - Greece's former leper colony. Then she finds Fotini, and at last hears the story that Sofia has buried all her life: the tale of her great-grandmother Eleni and her daughters and a family rent by tragedy, war and passion.

She discovers how intimately she is connected with the island, and how secrecy holds them all in its powerful grip...

• 1 month later...

For southern lit, I love Dorothea Benton Frank's books, particularly Land of Mango Sunsets. Also, another quick read I have recommended to friends on vacation is A Life At the Beach by Ken and Melinda Blanchard. You can find it in the travel essay section at your bookstore. I am starting to look for books myself and am finding several to check out from this thread. Thanks for the input!

• 2 months later...

getaway101:

Thanks for your recommendation of "Bet Me" by Jennifer Crusie. I told my DH about it and he got it for me as a Bon Voyage goodie for me!

I just have to force myself to wait for 49days until our cruise!

With your description of the book, I'm sure I'll be LOL on deck when I'm reading it!

Happy sailing!!

One of my favorite things to do is read a good book on vacation, especially by the pool on a cruise. The worst thing in the world is bringing a couple of books to read, and they are all no good, boring, horrible to read.

Soooooo. Does anybody have any recommendations? (I have already read War and Peace!)

Peace and love to all.

I am in the same boat 0e65972dce68dad4d52d063967f0a705.gif. I am looking for about two or three good books to take on my cruise