Best cruise for older teens, Graduation gift

mialily

:confused: This will be our first time cruising. I'm having a hard time trying to find the right cruise for my son's graduation gift. There will be 5 of us going, my husband my self and 3 boys 15, 17 and 18. We would like to go to the Caribbean. I want to make sure the boys have a lot of options on things to do. So if there is any suggestion out there on what cruisline or ship I would really appreicate it. This is so overwelheming, to many choices. Especially for someone who has never cruised before. I don't know what to expect.

Thanks Mialily

We have done two cruises with teenaged boys, and their favorite was definitely the Voyager-class RCL ships. We did the Explorer Western Carib. and are doing Mariner (again, Western Carib.) out of Port Canaveral next February. They love the Promenade, the pools, the rock wall, Johnny Rockets...etc. They said there is just more to do for teenagers than on the smaller, older ships. We snorkel in Cozumel and Grand Cayman and this time we'll stop in Labadee they are doing jet skis) and Jamaica (riding horses). They love formal night and we are renting tuxes on the ship and they both prefer formal dining to freestyle (although DH and I prefer the Freestyle.) The TA we used for the Explorer cruise said if it's your first cruise and you have kids you can't go wrong on the RCL Voyager ships because they have everything.

Read the member reviews of the Explorer and Mariner-

Have fun-

Barb

Having done both Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I vote for Norwegian for teens. The ships are inexpensive and fun. There are a wide variety of eating venues and you can eat whenever you want. They are more casual ships. As for the rock climbing, etc. I don't think you should book a cruise because of these features. Teenage boys really want to meet teenage girls and there will be plenty on Norwegian. My son and his friend has a ball on Norwegian.

Go with the larger newer ships like Jewel, Pearl of Norwegian Star.

Having sailed 3 times on Carnival with my boys (who were 15 and 17 on our last cruise), I would say Carnival would also be a great option, especially the larger ships. We were on the Conquest and the whole family had a BLAST!!!! The only thing you might run into is that Club02, Carnival's teen club, is for ages 15-17, so the 18 might not be able to partake in the activities (assuming he wanted to??). However, the teen club is only a small part of the cruise experience and it's main purpose is to get teens to meet one another; they don't have continuous planned activities; usually a couple of things during the day and music/dancing at night. There are many more things to do on board. If your 18 year old wants to venture out on his own, he'll be sure to find others his age. They tend to hang out at the basketball court, ping pong tables, pool area, late night comedy shows, lido deck contests, sports trivia contests, etc.

I'd vote for RCCL - lots to do on the ship and on excursions too...

We have two DSs (17 & 14) and I recommend getting two cabins. We book a balcony for us and an inside cabin across the hall for the boys. We have more room (very important with teenage boys), privacy, and two bathrooms.

I'd vote for RCCL - lots to do on the ship and on excursions too...

We have two DSs (17 & 14) and I recommend getting two cabins. We book a balcony for us and an inside cabin across the hall for the boys. We have more room (very important with teenage boys), privacy, and two bathrooms.

I second this recommendation for RCCL and 2 cabins. We have 2 kids 12 & 14 and always book a connecting cabin. It makes it a bit more expensive, but we like the fact that we can don't need to cross the hall to talk with them while getting ready for some event.

I would vote for RCI's Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas. Lots of reasons but the flowrider is so fun for boys and young men...(although it is fun to watch everyone try!) See if you can find a repeat of the Freedom episode on the Travel Channel. The Freedom and the Liberty are sailing different Caribbean itineraries.

There are lots of good reasons to sail the Freedom/Liberty. I have sailed Freedom and was back on her last week for a tour and commented to my tour mates what a perfect ship for teens she is.

Let us know what you decide!

There are really lots of great cruises for your boys. Honestly, I'm sure they will have a great time on most of the family cruise lines.

Several to consider are RCL, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. I am more partial to the first three for both the children and the adults.

Keith

Archived