Anytime Dining

We love the Personal Choice Dining on Princess, however we enjoy RCCL as well. We will be taking another RCCL cruise this winter and I was wondering if they have something similar?

No, RCI doesn't offer anything similar to anytime dining. RCI executives are convinced that traditional dining is one of their line's strong points, and most RCI enthusiasts tend to agree. If Anytime Dining worked as it should, some might feel differently, but there is regularly a long waiting list among Princess passengers requesting traditional. Princess does nothing to alter its dining room designations to accommodate them, and they are forced into anytime dining, so I can't say that their system works well at all.:(

There are a couple of choices for those who don't want to eat in the dining room at their assigned times. You can always eat in the Windjammer buffet or order room service. There are also two surcharge restaurants on several of the ships - Chops (a steak house) and Portofinos (Italian).

I agree with the previous poster who noted that anytime dining doesn't always work that well. We specifically prefer RCCI and Celebrity because we spend our "home" Friday evenings waiting for seats in a restaurant --- when we're on vacation we don't want to have to stand around and wait for a table.

We love the Personal Choice Dining on Princess, however we enjoy RCCL as well. We will be taking another RCCL cruise this winter and I was wondering if they have something similar?

Bite your tongue... :( :eek:

We much prefer traditional dining,..... getting to know our wait staff, having the waitstaff get to know us and our preferences, getting to know our tablemates, the traditional dining atmosphere... We love it just the way it is. :D

Unfortunetly,RCI does NOT have anytime or Freestyle dining..I really hate the 6 & 8:30 dining times...that's ONE of the reasons we dine at Chops & Portifinos-you can choose you dinner time (if available,of course)..I would like to eat around 6:30-7 PM most nights....love RCI,but it's one area I feel they could do what NCL does-one dining room is freestyle,one is more formal and BOTH serve the same menu....hate to be told what time to eat and WITH WHOM to sit with..........BUT that's why there's Chops,Portifinos and the Windjammer Cafe!!!

Big Al

In most areas we REALLY LIKE RCCL, however the Personal Choice Dining is one of the reasons we always end up choosing Princess in the end, otherwise I like them both equally. But Personal Choice has always worked perfectly for us, we've never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

I hate eating dinner in the buffets, if I wanted to do that I would stay home and go to Golden Corral :(

Unfortunetly,RCI does NOT have anytime or Freestyle dining..I really hate the 6 & 8:30 dining times...that's ONE of the reasons we dine at Chops & Portifinos-you can choose you dinner time (if available,of course)..I would like to eat around 6:30-7 PM most nights....love RCI,but it's one area I feel they could do what NCL does-one dining room is freestyle,one is more formal and BOTH serve the same menu....hate to be told what time to eat and WITH WHOM to sit with..........BUT that's why there's Chops,Portifinos and the Windjammer Cafe!!!

Big Al

I couldn't agree more! We have only cruised Princess and totally enjoyed the Anytime Dining. We never had to wait at all....but that's all you hear on this board. The lack of anytime dining is one qualm I have about RCI, but we are booked on the Voyager for January, so we'll see how it goes. I think we will be in the Windjammer quite a bit. I don't like being told when I'll eat and with whom.

Same here...looks like we'll have to deal with the Windjammer as well :( but as I said before, while Princess gets the edge with us (even though I really DO wish they did towel animals :p ) the Grandeur has a sweet spot in my heart......I just think she is a beautiful Lady!

Does anyone know if they serve the same things in the Windjammer at night as are on the evening menu in the diningroom like Princess does?

I couldn't agree more! We have only cruised Princess and totally enjoyed the Anytime Dining. We never had to wait at all....but that's all you hear on this board. The lack of anytime dining is one qualm I have about RCI, but we are booked on the Voyager for January, so we'll see how it goes. I think we will be in the Windjammer quite a bit. I don't like being told when I'll eat and with whom.

In most areas we REALLY LIKE RCCL, however the Personal Choice Dining is one of the reasons we always end up choosing Princess in the end, otherwise I like them both equally. But Personal Choice has always worked perfectly for us, we've never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

I hate eating dinner in the buffets, if I wanted to do that I would stay home and go to Golden Corral :(

This issue has been discussed quite often on the boards -- usually a thread is started by an NCL or Princess cruiser who wants RCCL to change. The majority of the posters always favors the traditional system. Also, during forums with key RCCL executives like President Adam Goldstein and CEO Richard Fain, the message comes through loud and clear that one of RCCL's strengths and attractions is traditional dining. There really is no strong constituency among RCCL cruisers for anytime or freestyle dining.

You make it sound like you are in a penitentiary.:rolleyes: Every day of our lives we have to conform to a schedule, whether of our own making or someone else's. If you want to go to a theater or concert or sports event, you are told when the performance will begin and have to plan accordingly. If you want anytime dining, you can still be told if and when they can accommodate you. Beepers are bad enough at land-based restaurants, I don't need to have one on a cruise, and I don't want to have to set my dining schedule for times when I won't experience a wait. We have many friends that we first met at our dinner table on a cruise. Unless you are terribly anti-social, it isn't exactly torture to share a table and cruise experiences with new acquaintances. (If your tablemates should be intolerable, a word with the maitre'd can usually get you moved to another table.)

There is also a comfort level involved in not having to advise a different waiter each night that I drink decaf and my wife only drinks hot tea with milk (not coffee or tea with lemon). Our experience with the table for two arrangements on Sapphire Princess could never have been described as an intimate dining experience. If you have seen how those tables for two are arranged you understand what I mean.:(

I think that every line should have its own way of doing things and don't want a cookie cutter cruise industry where every line has to offer the same experiences and style of doing things. Celebrate the differences and let each line play to its particular strengths.

If dining style is a significant factor in deciding which line you will cruise on, you are free to sail with those that:) offer what you want and avoid those that don't.

To the OP, one thing you might do is to book a specialty restaurant every night. The menus certainly offer a wide enough variety to please you and then you can sit with whom you want and eat at the time you choose. While I have not tried this approach, I did read a post from someone else who says this is the only way he does it! Of course, you will need to go to the restaurants as soon as you board and get your reservations squared away!

As far as the Windjammer goes, they do serve similar selections as to what is available in the dining room. However, I have heard that they are not quite as good, sitting out on the buffet and all . . .

Have a great cruise!

You make it sound like you are in a penitentiary.:rolleyes: Every day of our lives we have to conform to a schedule, whether of our own making or someone else's. If you want to go to a theater or concert or sports event, you are told when the performance will begin and have to plan accordingly. If you want anytime dining, you can still be told if and when they can accommodate you. Beepers are bad enough at land-based restaurants, I don't need to have one on a cruise, and I don't want to have to set my dining schedule for times when I won't experience a wait. We have many friends that we first met at our dinner table on a cruise. Unless you are terribly anti-social, it isn't exactly torture to share a table and cruise experiences with new acquaintances. (If your tablemates should be intolerable, a word with the maitre'd can usually get you moved to another table.)

There is also a comfort level involved in not having to advise a different waiter each night that I drink decaf and my wife only drinks hot tea with milk (not coffee or tea with lemon). Our experience with the table for two arrangements on Sapphire Princess could never have been described as an intimate dining experience. If you have seen how those tables for two are arranged you understand what I mean.:(

I think that every line should have its own way of doing things and don't want a cookie cutter cruise industry where every line has to offer the same experiences and style of doing things. Celebrate the differences and let each line play to its particular strengths.

If dining style is a significant factor in deciding which line you will cruise on, you are free to sail with those that:) offer what you want and avoid those that don't.

Agree with your good arguments.

DD and SIL are on Adventurer with friends and had their dining table changed when they were not compatable with tablemates. They were reassigned to a lovely table for 4. However, DH and I have not had to switch tables in 12 cruises on RCCL --we did have to be switched 2 out of the 5 times on Princess. Also think that Princess had better dining service before they went to anytime even in the traditional dining room although our cabin stewards were always outstanding.

WOW......Never realized Tradional equaled 'Panties in a Bunch' :eek:

It's amazing how people are NOT allowed to voice there views on this board, I suppose it's another difference between the lines.

Enough Said, I am glad the views expressed here Do NOT represent RCCL even if some would like too act as if they do!

I personally enjoy the set times and table. I enjoy knowing when I am to dine and who my waiter will be and talking to my tablemates. I am on vacation, dont want to think, just show up when I am supposed to.

I am on Princess next year and went with traditional dining.

My husband works on NCL as a waiter, I have heard toooooo many horror stories about what a nightmare anytime dining is. He says it does not work well. He works in speciality dining most of the time but fills in the main dining room sometimes.

Ill stick with traditional.

Enough Said, I am glad the views expressed here Do NOT represent RCCL even if some would like too act as if they do!

But Adam Goldstein's statements in forums, attended by TAs and Diamond Plus folks in support of traditional dining, do reflect RCCL.

I generally try not to get cranky on these boards, but here goes ...

We're all free to sail on whatever cruiseline we want. Those who prefer anytime dining are welcome to select other lines. Why is it that RCCL has to change for those who say they prefer Princess? If people like Princess, then stick with Princess. I know that Princess offers anytime dining, which I do not want, so as wonderful as some of their ships may be, I just don't consider it. To my mind, that's a pretty simple decision.

Off my soapbox now.

Thank You.....That's a wonderful and very workable suggestion.

To the OP, one thing you might do is to book a specialty restaurant every night. The menus certainly offer a wide enough variety to please you and then you can sit with whom you want and eat at the time you choose. While I have not tried this approach, I did read a post from someone else who says this is the only way he does it! Of course, you will need to go to the restaurants as soon as you board and get your reservations squared away!

As far as the Windjammer goes, they do serve similar selections as to what is available in the dining room. However, I have heard that they are not quite as good, sitting out on the buffet and all . . .

Have a great cruise!

I regret if it appears that I was suggesting a change, I simply ASKED if it was available and stated I liked it. For that I was treated to a barage of ATTACKS that where uncalled for. To THAT I reacted ...Human Nature.

I generally try not to get cranky on these boards' date=' but here goes ...

We're all free to sail on whatever cruiseline we want. Those who prefer anytime dining are welcome to select other lines. Why is it that RCCL has to change for those who say they prefer Princess? If people like Princess, then stick with Princess. I know that Princess offers anytime dining, which I do not want, so as wonderful as some of their ships may be, I just don't consider it. To my mind, that's a pretty simple decision.

Off my soapbox now.[/quote']

I enjoy having tablemates! On our 1st cruise, I was really worried about it--tried to request a table alone for hubby and I--Man, am I glad that didn't work out! We had a blast with our dining room friends! It really made all the difference! Only once have we had issues--and we just lived with it, (it wasn't THAT bad!) but every other trip, our tablemates were the highlight of the day!

DH and I typically travel by ourselves and could get a table for 2 but, we enjoy traditional dining. And, we enjoy getting to know the people we're dining with and look forward to finding out what they did during the day. We've made friends on every cruise we've taken and in some cases have cruised again or plan to cruise again with people we've met on board. That being said on our last cruise we were the only 2 at a table for 8 on several nights of our 14 day cruise, the table next to us typically had 6 empty seats. How nice it would have been for us to sit at that near by table and not dirty the table linens. Just a thought. I guess I'm just to practical.

d

WOW......Never realized Tradional equaled 'Panties in a Bunch' :eek:

It's amazing how people are NOT allowed to voice there views on this board, I suppose it's another difference between the lines.

Where did I, or anyone else for that matter, indicate that "people are not allowed to voice there(sic) views on this board"? I believe that you expressed your views quite well and had hoped that I presented an opposing view in a reasonable fashion. I also believe that complaining about someone telling you where and with whom to eat is a bit disingenuous and IMHO presents an unnecessarily negative image of traditional dining. Our schedules in life and on a cruise ship are pretty much determined by others who make up those schedules and there are those who prefer at least a modicum of structure in our life.

I have never claimed that my views necessarily represent those of Royal Caribbean, in the case of their position on the issue of "traditional dining", I do believe that the view I expressed is totally in line with what RCI executives have stated in public for many years. They have been asked many times if they planned to adopt some form of anytime or freestyle dining and their answer has always been a resounding no.

Where did I, or anyone else for that matter, indicate that "people are not allowed to voice there(sic) views on this board"? I believe that you expressed your views quite well and had hoped that I presented an opposing view in a reasonable fashion. I also believe that complaining about someone telling you where and with whom to eat is a bit disingenuous and IMHO presents an unnecessarily negative image of traditional dining. Our schedules in life and on a cruise ship are pretty much determined by others who make up those schedules and there are those who prefer at least a modicum of structure in our life.

I have never claimed that my views necessarily represent those of Royal Caribbean, in the case of their position on the issue of "traditional dining", I do believe that the view I expressed is totally in line with what RCI executives have stated in public for many years. They have been asked many times if they planned to adopt some form of anytime or freestyle dining and their answer has always been a resounding no.

negc -- Very well said.

We are Diamond Plus and we also prefer traditional dining. We take two cruises a year by ourselves and we look forward to meeting our table mates.

Every year they are wonderful people and we have many new friends. I know that we will not go on a ship that has freestyle dining. Please RCCL don't change !!!!

Once in a while I lurk on the Princess boards. From what I can see,

a) personal choice works the best if you eat early in the evening.

b) there are long waitlists for people who want traditional and have been relegated to personal choice.

c) it is not uncommon for posters to lay out war strategies on eating dinner and scheduling.

Which is why we never consider Princess (or NCL).

To the 2 Princess fans posting on this thread, when do you show up for dinner?

We love NCL but we also have loved all of the other lines we have tried. Freestyle on NCL has always worked for us. We like to eat early so waiting for a table has never been a problem. If you like to eat from 7:00 to 8:00 there might be a wait. In that case, you can always go to one of the other 10 or so restaurants.(Most ships have from 8 to 12 restaurants).

We enjoy being able to eat at a really nice table for 2 if we are alone. We have also met quite a few people from CC who we have made dates to dine with.

In the past, our traditional dining cruises have always also been enjoyable. We have been very lucky with the tablemates we have had.

Cruising to us is wonderful if it is freestyle or traditional.

As long as I am cruising, I'll enjoy it all !!!!!!!!:)

Archived