Aft cabin on Alaska cruise?

I'm sailing to Alaska in August and was wondering your opinion on staying in an Aft cabin vs. a cabin on the right or left side of the ship. Do you have better views of the glaciers from the side of the boat? Will the other balconies in the back on the ship obstruct my view if I look to the left or right? Thanks!

I have been on the aft but not for Alaska but I don't think anything would block your view. Which ship and sailing? I am doing the Serenade on August 4th. The afts were all gone when I booked and we also needed an inside for our kids nearby. If it is the Serenade this would be the view from center after 9260 to the side. the view is of the Coral Princess side by side with us going through the Panama Canal

IMG_1604.jpg

I just had an aft a few weeks ago on Noordam Inisde Passage cruise. While viewing glaciers, regardless if you have a port/starboard/or aft balcony you want to spend some of the time up on the top deck outside as that is the best view. Also the rangers/naturlist speak and point things out from the perspective as though you are at the front of the ship; you have greater chance of spotting whales and wildlife from the front/top of the ship. Additionally, you cannot hear the rangers/naturlists speak while on your balcony so you will have to spot everything on your own (this doesn't matter if you are port/starboard/aft, just one reason why you need to spend some time up on top towards the front of the boat).

There are certainly times where there are incredible views from the Aft balcony and I did plenty of sightseeing from my balcony as well, but you do not want to limit yourself to one view. The balconies on either side of you do limit your view to what is off to the immediate side at the moment the ship is in any particular area, but you have a wonderful panoramic view of what is behind you and off to both sides as you move on. Also you have the best view in the house as you are leaving the Marjorie Glacier at Glacier Bay (if your cruise goes there). The aft balconies also have the advantage of being a bit larger than the side balconies and have the sound of the wake (a plus for some, a negative for others).

I'm sailing to Alaska in August and was wondering your opinion on staying in an Aft cabin vs. a cabin on the right or left side of the ship. Do you have better views of the glaciers from the side of the boat? Will the other balconies in the back on the ship obstruct my view if I look to the left or right? Thanks!

Best bet, IMHO, a corner aft. Had one on the Celebrity Summit when we did Alaska and it gives you a 270 degree view. Wonderful.

~ Peri

We've done 2 Alaska cruises, both in corner aft cabins (Vision 8588 & Radiance 1100). Spectacular views. Even for glacier viewing. The captain turns the ship around several times so both sides and the aft get fantastic views, weather permitting.

Archived