Cancelling Cruise Question

fastrock

Wife has been on meds for past week for stomach flu and associated symtoms but continues with med problems. Doctor is changing meds today and we are delaying our usual routine of arriving one day early.

Taking the NCL Crown from Philly to Bermuda. Departure is Sunday 4PM, and driving (10hours) to Philly from Cincinnati.

We took out the standard, ie paid extra, for insurance from Expedia when we booked.

Any suggestions or recommendations on what we need from doctor to take avantage of the insurance, should it be necessary?

Any experience with Expedia vacation insurance or pitfalls I need to try an avoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to break this news to you, but if your wife has been suffering from stomach virus, she will be denied boarding. The cruiselines give out a questionnaire that every passenger must complete questioning if they have had vomiting and/or diarrhea within the past 7 days. If the answer is yes, the passenger will be denied boarding.

I hate to break this news to you, but if your wife has been suffering from stomach virus, she will be denied boarding. The cruiselines give out a questionnaire that every passenger must complete questioning if they have had vomiting and/or diarrhea within the past 7 days. If the answer is yes, the passenger will be denied boarding.

If she can make it in the car for 10 hours without diarrhea, then lie on the questionaire.

Never got a questionaire myself in all the cruises I've taken.

If she can make it in the car for 10 hours without diarrhea, then lie on the questionaire.

Never got a questionaire myself in all the cruises I've taken.

Methinks some lies may already have led to Code Red for Noro outbreaks on various ships.

I would check over your insurance policy carefully and see if you can cancel for medical reasons

Get the forms filled out from her doctor saying she is not fit to travel due to a virus

Not worth getting to the port and being denied boarding...no compensation.

I am sure she would not want to spend her vacation stuck in a cabin

I have never been asked this question on any of my cruises

We have had the 'flu questionnaire twice now ... so some cruise lines are definitely asking. If she is sick, then it is probably better to take advantage of that insurance.

I know this is not cruise or Expedia related, but here is my recent experience with travel insurance. My mother visited over Christmas and got the 'flu so I delayed her flight home and bought her a new return ticket ($589). She filed under her travel insurance and we are still waiting for the reimbursement. The cheque is on the way, but it just takes some time for these things to work their way through the system. The physician who examined her had to write a brief letter stating that she was not to travel, and then Mom filled in a form and filed it with her insurer.

Before we did this, I called the insurer and asked exactly what they needed from the doctor for us to use her insurance. So my suggestion would be to call the insurance company ASAP (they are usually there 24x7) and ask about your coverage and what you need to file a claim. Get all the details, plus the name of the individual you spoke to.

Good luck!

That actually isn't true - its 48 hours - at least it was on Princess and NCL

There is a CHANCE that she could be denied boarding..but I haven't seen that happen yet....there was two people in front of us that put yes and they got on the ship - they said they weren't feeling good because of the flight...I spoke with them a couple days later and they said that once on the ship they got a phone call asking for more information and they were warned they could have to stay in their cabin for a day or two -

after finding out more info they cleared them and they were fine.

That actually isn't true - its 48 hours - at least it was on Princess and NCL

There is a CHANCE that she could be denied boarding..but I haven't seen that happen yet....there was two people in front of us that put yes and they got on the ship - they said they weren't feeling good because of the flight...I spoke with them a couple days later and they said that once on the ship they got a phone call asking for more information and they were warned they could have to stay in their cabin for a day or two -

after finding out more info they cleared them and they were fine.

We were on HAL this past January and Celebrity this past April, and both times we were given a questionnaire to complete and both times it asked if we had vomiting and/or diarrhea within the past 7 days. We were very nervous because we were traveling with extended family that included 5 children under the age of 14 and kept our fingers crossed that all the kids stayed healthy since stomach viruses were rampant at their schools. Thankfully they all did.

There is a post somewhere on these boards about a gentleman who answered honestly that he had had a stomach virus within the previous 7 days (but had been completely healthy for the 3 days prior to the cruise). He was pulled aside and examined by some health personnel. It was decided he would not be allowed to board, even though he insisted he was fine. The cruiseline did reimburse his fare so he didn't have to go through travel insurance to collect.

I wonder if fastrock and his wife left for their cruise?

It's such a shame to lose out on vacation because of illness, but we do have to give consideration to our fellow human beings. When we read about Norovirus on a cruise ship, you can figure that it was most likely brought on by a passenger. They share it, then those people can take it onto an airplane, back to work, to school etc...and vice versa.

Although I've never heard of a stomach virus lasting so long and I have no idea what type of medication can be taken for it. I've always thought if you stand in the way of a stomach virus (taking medication to stop the vomiting and big D), you only prolong the illness.

Which leads me to believe she has something other than a stomach virus.

I hope she is feeling better and they got proper advice from their doctor.

• 3 months later...

Many, Many apologies for not getting back sooner to provide update. Thanks for all the replies.

My DW convinced me and the doctor that it could not be the flu or virus prior to departure. My DW didn’t have fever, chills or any of the usual symptoms other than diarrhea. Not to be too gross but it was bloody, bloody diarrhea.

When I saw what her effluent looked like we had a fight about her going to the EmerRm. I lost. I then started to cancel the vacation, and she plead with me that she would get better, it was NOT the flu or virus and that we are going. I conceded.

We went on the trip, it wasn’t the greatest vacation, but she was comfortable, I had a great time. We relaxed more rather than exploring like we normally do. And I earned bucket loads of kiss-up points. Yes, I'm all guy and we guys all do it when an excellent opportunity such as this arises. I see a sweet fishing trip in the future and probably a flight to see a Navy buddy in Thailand. As her med problems played out over the last several months, it turns out she has ulcerative colitis ie bleeding ulcers in 2/3rds of her colon per the colonoscopy results.

The meds have the colitis under control. She has meds to take should she have a flare-up. And we are 19 days and a wakeup from a B2B cruise out of Mobile.

Archived