Fun things to do in NOLA??

cmez

We're doing three days "post-cruise" in New Orleans. Is there any other cool stuff to see or do?

We're renting a car, so if there's anything outside of the city that's a must-see, let me know!

Thanks in advance!

13_1_103.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;31;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Official Countdown to Conquest!

Paradise 9/03

Pride 9/02

Fantasy 5/00

Sensation 3/97

It depends on what are "fun" things for you. My wife and I visit New Orleans every couple of years and love staying in the French Quarter and parking our car for the whole visit. Driving within New Orleans because of all the narrow one way streets is not what I enjoy doing when on vacation.

There are several things I would consider "must do's" if visiting New Orleans for the first time. One would be doing a walking tour of the French quarter. The National Park service does a free guided tour several times a day and there are several for profit companies that also provide walking tours. Riding the St Charles street car line out to the Garden district and getting off and again doing a self guided (several different books on New Orleans can provide a route) walking tour of the great old houses in Garden district would be another. Having breakfast at Cafe Du Monde is an absolute must (have a plate of hot beignets (the New Orleans specialty of fried dough topped with powdered sugar) and a steaming hot cup of café au lait laced with chicory). A muffaletta and an Albita beer at the Central Grocery on Decatur street is the perfect lunch. Then later in the evening a hurricane at Pat O'Briens and a walk down Bourdon street is a must. For a day trip go out of town and follow the river trail visiting the plantations that allow you a look into the history of the area.

Here are a couple of web sites that might help you find other things to do.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/neworleans/

http://neworleans.digitalcity.com/neworleans/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g60864-New_Orleans_Louisiana-Vacations.html

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

We will be visiting there for a long weekend in May. How are the swamp tours? Riverboat Jazz lunch cruise? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

BoysSkiMom

Homelines Atlantic 8/88

Norwegian Seaward 3/89

Celebrity Galaxy 4/00

RCI Enchantment 11/00

Celebrity Summit 4/04

Native New Orleanian here. I'd like to suggest the Aquarium of the Americas Tour. You see the aquarium (right by the river), and take a riverboat cruise, go to the Audubon Zoo, and back. It's a great day, and very reasonably priced. I do this about once every year, and never get tired of it.

The sites listed above should give you just about anything your heart desires. It's a great city and lots to do! Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

I was in NO about 7 years ago. Loved the garden district & the trolley ride. We enjoyed the Audobon Zoo. The food, the food, the food -- can't say enough about that. Jackson sqaure was nice. We enjoyed just walking around the French Quarter.

If you like Amusement parks, there's a park in the Six Flags family nearby.

Trish

That sounds like fun Cotton!! We'll have to check into that!! My best friend and I were looking at Six Flags, but I think we arrive in NOLA on the last day of the season. icon_frown.gif

13_1_103.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;31;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Official Countdown to Conquest!

Paradise 9/03

Pride 9/02

Fantasy 5/00

Sensation 3/97

• 2 weeks later...

Our family came for a convention last year and had a fabulous time. My kids were 9 & 13 then, but we went on the swamp tour -- fascinating and beautiful. (Go early!!!) The Aquarium and Imax theaters were terrific and great to beat the heat. The Cafe DuMonde was delightful -- my kids didn't want to go at first -- then didn't want to leave. My daughter was covered in powdered sugar -- (OK, so was I!) The trolley ride was wonderful, and Camilla Grill was a hoot! Riverwalk was great exercise. Paddleboat tour was OK. Too slow for the kids.

We'll be back on 8/29 for the Conquest sailing and can't wait.

Anything else for kids to do there? We have just 1 day. I would love to go on a ghost tour, but, I am afraid the 10-year old girl would be freaked out.

Thanks and enjoy!

Cinderellie

Honeymoon Dolphin 1982

Royal Caribbean 1985

NCL Norway 1989

Chandris Bermuda 1990

Princess Alaska 1993

Big Red Boat 1998

Disney Magic 2002

• 4 months later...
Gumbo Shop is already on our list for December. Is it somewhere we should go for lunch or for dinner?

I've only eaten there for lunch, so I don't know about the dinner. If it's as good as the lunch menu, then either would be great. There's a fabulous little seafood/steak place right across Burbon street from Pat O'briens that I loved. (I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it...but it is *right* across Burbon from Patty O's. ) :)

My wife and I spent 1 week in N O last fall and had a wonderful time. I believe the highlite of the trip was the swamp tour. They will come to where you are staying and pick you up. We stayed at the Magnolia Mansion. It is one block off St. Charles and the trolley line.

What a city!! We flew in and did not even need to rent a car. Be sure and eat at Del Monicos on St. Charles. This is where Emeril started. Their bannanas foster pancakes are out of this world.

Take the Oak Alley Plantation tour. They also pick you up where you are staying. Of course you could walk for days in the French Quarter. Just a word to thed wise. Stay away fro the Copmmanders Palace resturaunt!!!!Poor service, bad food and noisy.

Have a great time there, we did.

Chip Brady cb2052@earthlink.net

Be sure and eat at Del Monicos on St. Charles. This is where Emeril started. Their bannanas foster pancakes are out of this world.

. Just a word to thed wise. Stay away fro the Copmmanders Palace resturaunt!!!!Poor service, bad food and noisy.

Have a great time there, we did.Chip Brady cb2052@earthlink.net

Hi Chip. So glad y'all had such a great visit to my hometown. You're good advertisement!:)

Gotta clarify a coupla things; hope you won't mind.

Emeril's first job in N.O. was for the Brennan family, who own many N.O. restaurants, including Brennan's, Mr. B's Bistro, and Commander's Palace, to name a few. Emeril was hired as sous chef by Ellen Brennan to work at Commander's Palace. Later, he left, with her blessing, to start his own first restaurant, "Emeril's". He later opened "NOLA" and "Emeril's Delmonico". All three are very good, the latter being the most expensive.

About Commander's Palace, I can't imagine anyone having such bad service and food there, but it's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Commander's is the ONLY five-star restaurant in N.O. and is known worldwide. Yes, it can be a little loud, but so can some of the other better restaurants. Sorry you had such a bad experience, 'cause it's rather pricey, as you know.

• 4 months later...

Folks who don't venture out in the countryside really miss a lot. Definitely worth taking a swamp tour. And if you can find the time, rent a car and spend an overnite out in the surrounding countryside, seeing the cane fields and rural areas. Could do far worse than spending a nite at Madewood Plantation (they have a website, just do a google search) Definitely stop and see Oak Alley and while in NO find your way to Angelo Brocatto's on Carrolton for to-die-for lemon ice (and their cannolis aren't too shabby either).

As for nite life in NO check out the Palm Court Jazz Cafe, wonderful music and an owner/hostess with a feather boas who is a hoot.

I have yet to go there yet, but I will one day....I'm a WWII history buff. Just don't like going downtown very much. You should consider doing the D-Day museum while in New Orleans folks.... if you have the time. It's downtown near the cruise terminal and Aquarium.

If i'm not mistaken, it is the first of its kind in existance in the country. They recently added a "Higgins Boat" to the museum. Higgins Boats were the plywood landing craft used to ferry soldiers from the ships to the beach during WWII and were created, designed & built right here in New Orleans.

----------

If your schedule permits and you are into a laid back atmosphere like me, i'd suggest taking an afternoon trip to the "Bayou Segnette" state park on the westbank. ( a 20 minute drive from Downtown New Orleans ). You can pack a picnic lunch, grab a box of KFC on the way or use one of the bbq pits there to cook on. Lay back, hang out among the cypress trees relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. Only a few blocks away from the park is the head of Bayou Segnette itself on Louisiana street. ( By the shrimp lot ) There you can book a swamp tour and save a few dollars booking direct with them instead of using a third party.

Cotton- or anyone- how long do you need to do the aquarium, riverboat and zoo? Also, how much is it?

You can make it an all-day thing, or break it up. You can stay at the aquarium or zoo as long (or short) as you like. The riverboat makes many trips each day. Go here for more info:

http://neworleansonline.com/tours-attractions/attractions/aquarium.html

If you don't want to do the combo, I think you'd like the aquarium, which can take as much or little time as you'd like. I usually spend about 2 hours just at the aquarium!:)

If you order the "Good Times Guide" - there are a lot of coupons for this as well as other things to do in N.O.http://neworleansonline.com/

You're right Cotton.

Grab a box of Popeyes Chicken ya'll. It's great !!!!!

Boy if you love pizza, the best pizza place on the planet is nearby the park in Westwego. It's called "Mo's Pizza" and it's on Ave H. You won't regret stopping by Mo's for a pizza. Their prices are great too. You can get a large 16" pizza with all the toppings for around $17. They also have muffalata's, spaghetti & meatballs and other goodies.

Archived